Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or is it getting HOT (Global Warming) in here?

Since so many here seem to support the myth of Global Warming (in fact the one thing "myth" that many Atheists as well as Christians agree on.) I have decided to start this as a conspiracy thread.

First Carbon Dioxide and increases, is it happening?

And if it is is it dangerous?

"Fallacy 1: Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is increasing at alarming rates. It just ain't so, according to de Freitas, who notes that annual CO2 concentration increases appear to be leveling off in recent years. He also wonders what is alarming about the aerial fertilization effect of atmospheric CO2 enrichment, which dramatically stimulates the growth rates and enhances the water use efficiencies of essentially all of earth's plants."

Debunking Modern Climate Myths

Are humans a major cause of CO2 poisoning as some mythologists are claiming?

"Fallacy 2: Humans are big players in the global carbon cycle. In reality, says de Freitas, "anthropogenic CO2 emissions are only about 3% of the natural carbon cycle and less than 1% of the atmospheric reservoir of carbon." He also notes that the increase in the air's CO2 content over the past few centuries could well have been the result of earth's oceans giving off the gas in response to the planet's recovery from the Little Ice Age."

Has global temperature really increased over the past couple of decades?

"Fallacy 4: Global temperature has increased over the past two decades. Although data gathered by various types of thermometers do indeed indicate warming in many places over this time period, the concurrent growth of cities and towns, according to numerous scientific studies cited by de Freitas, has increased so dramatically that much - if not all - of that warming may be due to an intensifying of the urban heat island phenomenon."

Wow ok I could really go on but I just wanted to end it with this!

Are the IPPC's predictions reasonable?

"Fallacy 11: IPCC's predictions are reasonable. In addition to the many problems associated with current climate models, IPCC warming predictions are based on future greenhouse gas scenarios that are patently unreasonable. Over half of their predictions, according to de Freitas, assume that atmospheric CO2 is increasing twice as fast as it actually is, while methane concentrations have fallen steadily for the past seventeen years."

Here is the thing amazingly enough the myth of global warming (I cannot in good conscience call it a theory) is similar to the myth of god. There is not enough proof for or against to make a rational decision. Above all with the so called "proof" that is for this one could not convict a criminal in a court. It is circumstantial evidence at best, and hardly irrefutable.
    My stance is as it has been, the myth of global warming is just that, a myth and not even a very exciting one (except for that one movie that was really cool).

True to APA referencing :Article source is the following.

Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change/Debunking Modern Climate Myths/Volume 5, Number 52: 25 December 2002
    Last edited by wanxtrmBANNED; June 12th, 2007 at 03:52 PM.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it just me or is it getting HOT (Global Warming) in here?

Here's what I like:

If it gets hotter...why, it's because of global warming!

If it gets cooler...why, it's because of global warming!
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    Here's what I like:

If it gets hotter...why, it's because of global warming!

If it gets cooler...why, it's because of global warming!
    Gee now how can that be, wait oh wait "Al? Al?" "Is there a Mr. Gore in the building?"
    "sorry sir he just left in his personal jet to take the message of western excess to some poor Somalian town"

Darn, no viable answer. Just more arguments with no viable information!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what it would take for people to start worrying about global warming. For you skeptics - what would it take?
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what it would take for people to start worrying about global warming. For you skeptics - what would it take?
    Any conclusive scientific evidence that humans contribute meaningfully to global warming.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    For someone to say "Nuclear power is the only viable solution to global warming", and then say "Recycling paper is stupid, and reduces the number of trees".

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing that cant be fixed by turning off the Ford Expeditions and Cadillac Escallades.
    Seriously though what will it take for you to see that this is nothing more than a cycle, something perpetuated by natural/ (humans are natural and what we do adds to the state of nature as it exists) climate changes in and on the earth.

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by P51M View Post

Its as conclusive as the scientific evidence for evolution and the non-existance of God.
    But as we both know, thats not enough, so again, what would it take?
    Umm this was not even close to what the debate was about, try to use something, lets see..............oh yeah as an old friend once said PROOVE it.
    Last edited by wanxtrmBANNED; June 12th, 2007 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

This shows a fundamental ignorance of global warming.
    I bet evolution makes blood come out of your ears.
    It shows a fundamental familiarity with the ability of global warmingers to twist any real fact into their clearly faulty analysis.

Its as conclusive as the scientific evidence for evolution and the non-existance of God.
    But as we both know, thats not enough, so again, what would it take?
    *sigh*

Is this is a pissed-off GP or Trendem seeing if an atheist Gaius gets kicked faster?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The trick is to use RELIABLE data:

15. The figure shows the combined land-surface air and sea surface temperatures (degrees Centigrade) 1861 to 1998, relative to the average temperature between 1961 and 1990
    .The mean global surface temperature has increased by about 0.3 to 0.6C since the late 19th century and by about 0.2 to 0.3C over the last 40 years, which is the period with most reliable data. Recent years have been among the warmest since 1860 - the period for which instrumental records are available. Warming is evident in both sea surface and land-based surface air temperatures. Urbanization in general and desertification could have contributed only a small fraction of the overall global warming, although urbanization may have been an important influence in some regions. Indirect indicators such as borehole temperatures and glacier shrinkage provide independent support for the observed warming. It should also be noted that the warming has not been globally uniform. The recent warming has been greatest between 40N and 70N latitude, though some areas such as the North Atlantic Ocean have cooled in the recent decades.

Trend in global average surface temperature - Climate Change
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

Snoop- we're coming off a "little ice age", so I don't think increased temperatures alone indicate global warming.
    What's more, the gaps in our knowledge about climate change are so vast we can't even THEORIZE, let alone prove, some of the stuff the glacial cores indicate.
    Like at some point, the Earth was a giant iceball. Yet life didn't suffer any large extinctions during the period, and despite the fact it should never have warmed again, it did.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Snoop, you've missed the point.

The issue is not whether global warming is occuring.

The issue is whether or not human activity plays a significant role in it.

Proving that [x] occurs...does not prove that [y] caused it.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Snoop, you've missed the point.

The issue is not whether global warming is occuring.

The issue is whether or not human activity plays a significant role in it.

Proving that [x] occurs...does not prove that [y] caused it.
    It seems only logical that humans played a part since there are so many more of us on the planet these days.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems only logical that humans played a part since there are so many more of us on the planet these days.
    Actually snoop there are more cattle than humans and cars, there is more animal life in general (currently) than the entirety of humanity from day one of arrival here. So again failure of argument.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannaextreme View Post
    Actually snoop there are more cattle than humans and cars, there is more animal life in general (currently) than the entirety of humanity from day one of arrival here. So again failure of argument.
    Tell that to the EU: G-8 OKs 'substantial cuts' in carbon - Climate Change - MSNBC.com

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

wanna - The cattle are only there in large numbers because of human activity. In the wild, disease, drought, and predation would keep the numbers down. It is not just us farting and driving cars that turns out greenhouse gases, there is a lot more stuff we are directly and indirectly involved in.

Graphs can be produced that show the ADDITIONAL effect on pollution/warming produced by industrial man. The worry is that this appears to be accellerating things, and that it is an additional extra that the planet has never had to face before - and may not be naturally equipped to overcome.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible, terrible logic.

"There's so many Nitrogen atoms here on Earth, THEY must be the cause of global warming!"

"There's more white people than black people...so WHITE PEOPLE are the cause of global warming!"

"There's more poor people than rich people...so POOR PEOPLE are the cause of global warming!"

Post Thanks / Like

I gave you legitimate resources for rebuttals to this very thing in the OP can you find someone more reputable than this agency? I mean we are talking a link to a news article with zero substantiation, more of a he said she said.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible, terrible logic.

"There's so many Nitrogen atoms here on Earth, THEY must be the cause of global warming!"

"There's more white people than black people...so WHITE PEOPLE are the cause of global warming!"

"There's more poor people than rich people...so POOR PEOPLE are the cause of global warming!"
    All of what you said is true (except for the part about white people outnumbering black people ... there is no color chart for these statistics) - my logic is impecable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FruitandNut View Post
    wanna - The cattle are only there in large numbers because of human activity. In the wild, disease, drought, and predation would keep the numbers down. It is not just us farting and driving cars that turns out greenhouse gases, there is a lot more stuff we are directly and indirectly involved in.

Graphs can be produced that show the ADDITIONAL effect on pollution/warming produced by industrial man. The worry is that this appears to be accellerating things, and that it is an additional extra that the planet has never had to face before - and may not be naturally equipped to overcome.
    Yup your right, I know after all this has never been a problem before. Earth has never had ice ages before and cars are causing this problem.

Wait, wait.............. what if aliens are doing it?

Sorry but not one of you has actually responded to the OP, is it not possible?

Also for the record there are far LESS wild animals than before but still more than humans. See I distinctly remember reading about herds of zebras that were 10-20 miles MILES wide. Or the herds that were endless on the flat plains of Nebraska etc BUFFALO.

Bad rebuttal. Animals far out number and always have far outnumbered humans.

The fix is kill all (thats right folks ALL) animals!

Besides for someone that is so against mass genocide you are trying very hard to convince us that the only real way here is less humans, I.E. Mass Genocide!

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an interersting article for both sides to examine...

Viewpoint: Global Warming Natural, May End Within 20 Years

I'm actually netural in this whole thing. I have no real opinion.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast