Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

What movie did you just see?

Well, I just got through watching Donnie Brasco...thought it was pretty good. I give it a 8. Well, 7 and a half. It gets a 1/2 point deduction cause Anne Heche is in it. C'mon, ya can't go wrong...a mafia movie with Al Pacino AND Johnny Depp? Forget about it! If you just sit there and stare at the two of them for 2 hours, it's a good movie. Although, some of you guys might not like that.

So, what was the lastest movie you've seen? How was it?
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What movie did you just see?

Bridge to Terabithia (sp?)

I guess I had the wrong idea about what the movie was about. I was expecting some Narnia or LOTR action, but it was just 2 kids in a broken down tree house, young love, and tragedy.

I give this movie...the finger.
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

"Whats eating Gilbert Grape?" and "Edward Scissorhands" (Depp-fest!)

Both were very good. I give two thumbs up to each of them.

Catch22

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post

Both were very good. I give two thumbs up to each of them.

Have you ever seen Nightmare Before Christmas (some people have not apparently!)?

That is a good movie. It is good-tastic.

Ummm, I have watched Sin City about 5 times now completely and lots more in little chunks. It is a pretty fun movie.
    Also: The Man Who Wasn't There by the Coen Brothers is a kickass movie, with that barber fellow getting owned by fate.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleflipper View Post
    Have you ever seen Nightmare Before Christmas (some people have not apparently!)?

That is a good movie. It is good-tastic.
    Yes I have. It is indeed good-tastic, as well as quite odd-tastic.
    Catch22

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I watched Idiocracy the other day. Not a HUGE summer smash by any stretch of the imagination.

Basically some guy and gal get put into suspended animation and forgotten about for 500 yrs. When they come to, the world is a mess as the average IQ of humanity has plummeted to the point that they are watering crops with a sports drink...

Anywho, I give it a 3.5/10
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Remember the Titans! Good football movie about conquering racism. Gotta fill the football void until the season starts!

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Slippy, you should be our official movie critic I think... By your description (which I have no doubt is fairly accurate), I don't think I'd watch either of the two movies you mentioned...

Any movies you liked??

The most recent movie I watched was Good Shepherd.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

Post Thanks / Like

Most recently at home, Catch and Release and Because I Said So. Been in a weird, light-hearted mood lately. For me, that's weird. But I liked both of them.

In theaters, most recently, Surf's Up, Pirates 3, and Shrek the Third. Liked all of them, but left PoC with kind of a "meh" feeling.

Tonight I'll watch either Gozu, or Last King of Scotland.
    Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.--Voltaire

Post Thanks / Like

Sneakers.

It really made me miss River Phoenix. He wasn't even 24 when he died and had already worked with Sydney Poitier, James Earl Jones, Robert Redford, Keanue Reaves, Ethan Hawke, Dan Aykroyd, Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. He would have been one of the great actors of the 90's and now. Could you imagine him in a film with Johnny Dep?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Epic Movie and Scarlett Letter.

Be forewarned, Epic Movie is, if nothing else, a "Guy movie". It's PACKED with stupid humor (literally), and only a few jokes in the movie ones you need the news for (the Kanye reference was priceless). There's loads of sexual innuendo and even more adult humor, but not to worry, there's no sex or nudity....except for Borat's ass. I enjoyed it.

Scarlett Letter. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Gary Oldman. The story was fairly well done. It's been awhile since I read the book, so I can't recall how accurate it was, but on its own, it's a pretty good movie.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I recently saw the Spaghetti Western classic "Once Upon a Time in the West" (with Henry Fonda as the bad guy!).

And I saw "Sophie Scholl: The Final Days" last night. Good movie.

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric View Post
    Sneakers.
    Wow. I haven't seen that movie in forever... One of my all-time favorites... I'm going to have to go add that to my netflix now...

As always, fabulous taste in movies.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

Post Thanks / Like

My boyfriend and I have been on a movie renting craze the last few weekends so we've seen quite a few. This past weekend we rented Downfall, a German movie about the last few months of WWII. It was really good. I definitely recommend to everyone, especially those that love history. We saw Knocked Up as well and it was pretty damn funny. My boyfriend and I enjoyed it.

We also recently watched Poltergeist, Dawn of the Dead (the new one), and One Hour Photo. He had never seen the first two and neither of us had seen One Hour Photo. We both thought One Hour Photo was great. Definitely pretty twisted but awesome nonetheless. It's great to see Robin Williams in serious roles because he really is a talented actor but his comedy gets rather tiring after a while to me.

We also rented Good Shepard and we both really want those 2 hours of our lives back. It could've been really good but it was SO DAMN LONG and boring. It was like a movie with a slow beginning that never sped up. I definitely don't recommend it.
    "Deer aren't capable of that kind
    of thinking. All they care about is, "What am I
    going to eat next, who am I going to screw next,
    and can I run fast enough to get away. They are
    very much like the French."

-Ted Nugent in response to a question asked by a French journalist about what he thinks deer are thinking before they're killed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Catch--
    we rented Donnie Brasco last night, after watching Al Pacino get a life time acheivement award the other night on tv. My husband decided he hadn't seen enough Pacino movies....so, it looks like all Pacino all this week. Although, I think I have talked into adding Depp to that list. These are my two favorite actors. He's never seen either of the two you mentioned, sometimes, I worry about him.

Hyde--
    Epic Movie and Scarlett Letter
    I cannot believe I am going to admit this....I watched Epic Movie. The only good part..."we are the pirates, of the Caribbean!!!" Great, I'll have that stuck in my head all day.

MI--
    Liked all of them, but left PoC with kind of a "meh" feeling.
    sounds crazy, but, the second POTC, and the third, REALLY are better the second time around....actually, they get better with every time you watch it. I didn't care too much for #2, and after the second time, I loved it. Same with #3. Didn't know what to think as I left the theater, second time around...loved it. Even hubby agreed it was better the second time around. That's a big factor with movies for me....replay value. If you can watch it over and over and STILL love it....it's a good movie.
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw the Squid and the Whale
    "If you wish to know how libertarians regard the State and any of its acts, simply think of the State as a criminal band, and all of the libertarian attitudes will logically fall into place." -Murray Rothbard

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." -Henry David Thoreau

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipnish View Post
    Bridge to Terabithia (sp?)

I guess I had the wrong idea about what the movie was about. I was expecting some Narnia or LOTR action, but it was just 2 kids in a broken down tree house, young love, and tragedy.

I give this movie...the finger.
    I was conflicted. I too was expecting more of a fantasy based story...especially because that's how it's frickin' marketed! However, the story was actually very, very good. It's a terrific family movie, my 6 yr old has watched in 3x now in the past 2 days that we've had it. I'm surprised given the fact that there is very little actual fantasy sequences.

Regardless, it has a lot of excellent points for kids to consider (standing up for what's right, perils of bullying, imagination, loyalty/friendship, giving, etc..), it's entertaining as well.

DON'T expect it to be a fantasy movie, and it will be quite enjoyable IMO. But it is indeed a family movie. Watch it with kids!

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Well, I just got through watching Donnie Brasco.
    Old movie. Good, have seen it about 3x now.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Good, but old.

I realize it isn't "What newest movie haven't you seen?" and instead, "What did you just see?"...I'm just sayin'...

It's old.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyphoenix View Post
    Slippy, you should be our official movie critic I think... By your description (which I have no doubt is fairly accurate), I don't think I'd watch either of the two movies you mentioned.
    Bridge to Taribithia is a good movie for families. Watch it with your kids. Just don't expect a fantasy movie and you won't be disappointed. See above for more detailed review.

The most recent movie I watched was Good Shepherd.
    Haven't seen it, I'm on the fence about seeing it. Excellent case, but it just looks kind of boring. How was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric View Post
    Sneakers.
    Old movie.

It really made me miss River Phoenix. He wasn't even 24 when he died and had already worked with Sydney Poitier, James Earl Jones, Robert Redford, Keanue Reaves, Ethan Hawke, Dan Aykroyd, Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. He would have been one of the great actors of the 90's and now. Could you imagine him in a film with Johnny Dep?
    Yes, I often think about the impact River would have on the industry today. I would have been interesting to see him in more adult roles. He was a terrific actor.

Ever see Dog Fight? It inspired me and my group of "buds" at the time, to actually do the same "competition". We were a-holes then. Still a good movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Epic Movie
    Hated it. I absolutely love that style of humor (Airplane, Naked Gun, Scary Movie, etc...), but lately, these types of movies have just been suckin' ass. I couldn't finish watching the latest Scary Movie nor Epic Movie. I just got so bored with it. It was full of stupid, not so much humor. It was great for 12 yr olds I suppose.

Scarlett Letter.
    Haven't seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    I recently saw the Spaghetti Western classic "Once Upon a Time in the West" (with Henry Fonda as the bad guy!).
    Excellent flick. It was different for me watching it because the only Spaghetti Western's I'd seen up until then were Eastwood's. But Sergio Leone is the common denominator there (Director) so I figured it couldn't be all that bad. It was pretty damn good actually.

Quote Originally Posted by AnGeLOfMuSiC View Post
    My boyfriend and I have been on a movie renting craze the last few weekends so we've seen quite a few. This past weekend we rented Downfall, a German movie about the last few months of WWII. It was really good. I definitely recommend to everyone, especially those that love history.
    Is that the one about the last days of Hitler?

Another foreign film about WW2 is Stalingrad. VERY good film. It's from the perspective of a German squad, getting their butts handed to them by the Soviets in WW2.

We saw Knocked Up as well and it was pretty damn funny. My boyfriend and I enjoyed it.
    On the list.

We also recently watched Poltergeist, Dawn of the Dead (the new one),
    My favorite horror genre is that of the Zombie. I don't know why, perhaps it's because it seems the most "interesting" to be be in as the bad guy is defeatable, slow and stupid. Just have to worry about the sheer numbers is all.

There are about 10 or so that have come out over the last 5-6 years that are really good (some are foreign). I'll try to gather that list and post them.

We also rented Good Shepard and we both really want those 2 hours of our lives back. It could've been really good but it was SO DAMN LONG and boring. It was like a movie with a slow beginning that never sped up. I definitely don't recommend it.
    Ahhh, good to know. That's what I suspected but never confirmed.

----------------

There, now that that is done...

Is there interest to start up our Movie Club again? Where we all have to watch a movie over a weekend (or have a week to watch a selected movie), then we come to the forum to discuss that one specific movie?
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The last theater movie I saw was Shrek III. I liked it. It was entertaining.

The last DVD movie I watched was The Guardian. Now, I know this had all the right things in it. Ashton Kutcher, Kevin Costner, Ashton Kutcher, Ashton Kutcher, drama, tragedy, all the makings for a great "see again and again" movie.

But...it just sucked. It was too predictable and the acting just didn't seem genuine. It was like, "Here comes the slow motion shot for dramatic effect." Then "Here comes the waterworks from Ashton." Then "Here comes the 'bonding moment' between Ashton and Kevin." Then, "Here's the NO SURPRISE ending that I saw coming from the before the beginning." The end.

The last TV movie I watched was last night, "Secret of Hidden Lake" on Lifetime. I wasn't really watching it. It was just on for background noise. Lifetime doesn't have much for good acting anyways, but this movie had some of the worst. It's like all the good actors had the weekend off for shooting and the movie was made from whatever was left.

I have Fast Food Nation and Flushed Away from Netflix right now. I'll let you know how they are.
    Souls of the animal kingdom: eagle, fox, bottle-nose dolphin, octopus, house cat. Okay, let's jump this jump. -- Rod Kimble

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Both Fast Food Nation and Flushed Away are good, you'll like 'em.

I forgot my last movies...

Ghostrider (it was decent/good...give it a B- or so) up until the last 25 minutes or so when it just went downhill. It seemed like the writers need to hurry and get the script over with so they had it come to what seemed to be, a rather inconsistent and undramatic ending. Finale rating is probably a C-. See it only if bored...or perhaps, sleepy.

Saw Pirates III at the theater. It was ok (B), not as good as the first however.

Saw Bridge of Taribithia, review is up top. Give it an A, although I had to overcome the disappointment of it NOT being a fantasy based movie.

Saw Apocalypto (both at theater and on DVD). LOVED that flick. Give it an A+. Wife couldn't watch though, too violent.

Saw Spiderman III. It was good, great effects, good action. I didn't like #2 all that much, I liked this better, but not as good as the first.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Transformers on July 4th though. I never got into the cartoons (saw only a few episodes), but I dig the effects and concept a lot.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    Is that the one about the last days of Hitler?
    It sure is and it was really good. It almost makes you feel sorry for the guy until you remember it's Hitler and then wish he didn't get off so easily. That's not to say that they portray him in a good light though. It just mainly focuses on everything that takes place in the bunker as Berlin is crumbling so you don't witness the usual happenings of WWII. I think you'd enjoy it.
    "Deer aren't capable of that kind
    of thinking. All they care about is, "What am I
    going to eat next, who am I going to screw next,
    and can I run fast enough to get away. They are
    very much like the French."

-Ted Nugent in response to a question asked by a French journalist about what he thinks deer are thinking before they're killed.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast