Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Do YOU agree?

  1. #1
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    I was here......
    Posts
    1,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Do YOU agree?

    I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of
    anything except numbers. The only things I can
    think of that are truly discriminatory are things like
    the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine,
    Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.
    Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund,
    Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or
    Miss White America; and see what happens...
    Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.

    Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing
    makes you a killer. You can kill someone
    with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying
    to ban you from driving to the ball game.

    I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason,
    which is why there are no girls allowed.
    Girls belong in the Girl Scouts!
    ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?

    I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong,
    it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.

    I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others
    because they are different, weird, or tick me off.

    When 70% of the people who get arrested
    are black, in cities where 70% of the population
    is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the
    Law of Probability.

    I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake,
    a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room,
    you must do it in English! As a matter of fact,
    if you want to be an American citizen,
    you should have to speak English!

    My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you
    can leave the countries you were born in to
    come over and disrespect ours.

    I think the police should have every right to shoot
    your sorry ass if you threaten them after they
    tell you to stop. If you can't understand the
    word "freeze" or "stop" in English,
    see the above lines.

    I don't think just because you were not born
    in this country, you are qualified for any
    special loan programs, government sponsored
    bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can
    open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store,
    or any other business.

    We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries
    and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms,
    so that decades later they could come over here
    and tell us our constitution is a living document;
    and open to their interpretations.

    I don't hate the rich . I don't pity the poor.

    I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and
    television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.

    I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every
    penny he made and continue to make more.
    If it ticks you off, go and invent the next
    operating system that's better,
    and put your name on the building.

    It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right,
    but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid;
    and smack their little behinds when
    necessary, and say "NO!"

    I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want
    them, but please don't pretend they are a
    political statement. And, please, stay home until
    that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at
    your ugly infected mouth as you
    serve me French fries!

    I am sick of "Political Correctness."
    I know a lot of black people, and not a
    single one of them was born in Africa; so
    how can they be "African-Americans"?
    Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around
    saying I am a European-American because my
    great, great, great, great, great, great
    grandfather was from Europe .
    I am proud to be from America and nowhere else
    And if you don't like my point of view, tough...


    I got this in an email....and I agree with pretty much everything it says. In fact I started a thread a while back about the first paragraph, and alot of people here agreed with me. The only thing I can't say I agree with...I do pity the poor, and wish there was something that could be done. But, what do you think? Do you agree with what is said above? What don't you agree with?
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

  2. #2
    I've been given a "timeout"

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Who are you? Why are you asking me this?
    Posts
    4,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    I disagree with quite a bit. Like Bill Gates arguably uses disgusting anti-competition tactics and using his system's ubiqutious nature to ensure he crushs any upstart programs while stealing their best features. Like Vista is just Mac's latest operating system on a PC. Thinking homosexuality is wrong shows more an acceptance to prevailing social trends in your area then any thing else I'd wager. Clearly the writer of this letter hasn't thought a lot about the concept of "police corruption".

    But I imagine we can AGREE TO DISAGREE!

  3. #3
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I'm lost
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of
    anything except numbers. The only things I can
    think of that are truly discriminatory are things like
    the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine,
    Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.
    Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund,
    Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or
    Miss White America; and see what happens...
    Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.
    Agree

    Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing
    makes you a killer. You can kill someone
    with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying
    to ban you from driving to the ball game.
    Agree

    I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason,
    which is why there are no girls allowed.
    Girls belong in the Girl Scouts!
    ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?
    Agree

    I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong,
    it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.
    Agree to a certain point.

    I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others
    because they are different, weird, or tick me off.
    Disagree, just because someone is different does not mean you should treat them any different as you would want to be treated.

    When 70% of the people who get arrested
    are black, in cities where 70% of the population
    is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the
    Law of Probability.
    Agree

    I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake,
    a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room,
    you must do it in English! As a matter of fact,
    if you want to be an American citizen,
    you should have to speak English!
    Agree

    My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you
    can leave the countries you were born in to
    come over and disrespect ours.
    Agree

    I think the police should have every right to shoot
    your sorry ass if you threaten them after they
    tell you to stop. If you can't understand the
    word "freeze" or "stop" in English,
    see the above lines.
    Agree aslong as it isn't a shoot to kill.

    I don't think just because you were not born
    in this country, you are qualified for any
    special loan programs, government sponsored
    bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can
    open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store,
    or any other business.
    Agree

    We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries
    and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms,
    so that decades later they could come over here
    and tell us our constitution is a living document;
    and open to their interpretations.
    Agree

    I don't hate the rich . I don't pity the poor.
    Disagree

    I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and
    television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.
    Agree

    I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every
    penny he made and continue to make more.
    If it ticks you off, go and invent the next
    operating system that's better,
    and put your name on the building.
    Agree

    It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right,
    but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid;
    and smack their little behinds when
    necessary, and say "NO!"
    Agree

    I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want
    them, but please don't pretend they are a
    political statement. And, please, stay home until
    that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at
    your ugly infected mouth as you
    serve me French fries!
    Somewhat disagree. If it is infected get it treated. If it isn't infected by all means go out in public.

    I am sick of "Political Correctness."
    I know a lot of black people, and not a
    single one of them was born in Africa; so
    how can they be "African-Americans"?
    Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around
    saying I am a European-American because my
    great, great, great, great, great, great
    grandfather was from Europe .
    I am proud to be from America and nowhere else
    And if you don't like my point of view, tough...
    Agree somewhat..
    Last edited by Just Me; July 7th, 2007 at 04:22 PM.
    Show me the government that does not infringe upon anyone's rights, and I will no longer call myself an anarchist.~Jacob Halbrooks
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.~Benjamin Franklin
    "Go big or Go home"~ LoLo Bean

  4. #4
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, S.Yorks., UK
    Posts
    8,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Whatever the lingua franca of a country, I feel it is beholding (and a politeness) for citizens and long term residents to make a serious attempt to gain some proficiency in it. Indeed, rational PC would support this argument. But regrettibly PC all too often deviates from rationality, and even fairness.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

  5. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Bunny Ranch
    Posts
    2,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Everything and nothing is fair....

  6. #6
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    With my Angel in Aurora
    Posts
    5,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    I agree with pretty much all of what the guy says.

    With one exception:

    I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want
    them, but please don't pretend they are a
    political statement. And, please, stay home until
    that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at
    your ugly infected mouth as you
    serve me French fries!
    I completely disagree. Tattoos and piercings are fine, so long as they're clip on piercings and iron on tattoos.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

  7. #7
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Blech. I hate this stuff. Instead of thinking, conservatives read this garbage.
    "If you wish to know how libertarians regard the State and any of its acts, simply think of the State as a criminal band, and all of the libertarian attitudes will logically fall into place." -Murray Rothbard

    "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." -Henry David Thoreau

  8. #8
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    I was here......
    Posts
    1,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    thank you, I do think.......quite often. especially when coming here and watching anything with politicians on tv....it just so happens that this follows and sums up very what what I think.
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

  9. #9
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    thank you, I do think.......quite often. especially when coming here and watching anything with politicians on tv....it just so happens that this follows and sums up very what what I think.
    I mean I hope you kidding. There are a couple of substantial points there, and I agree (obviously) with pro-gun rights, anti-tax, anti-welfare, etc, but he doesn't say WHY these things are good and he obviously contradicts himself many times.

    Although sustained thought has never been the hallmark of the neoconservative movement in America.

    Here are two quick examples:

    "I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every
    penny he made and continue to make more."

    Sounds good. So if a person has the right to keep ALL of the money he makes, then where is the room for government? How are we going to kill brown people if we don't have government. Ergo he contradicts himself.

    "
    We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries
    and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms,
    so that decades later they could come over here
    and tell us our constitution is a living document;
    and open to their interpretations."

    Ha!!!!!!

    I hope this person is trying to be ironical.

    We have only declared wars FIVE times.

    We have been in a hell of a lot more foreign countries than that.

    That means that we must have been doing some things that were UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

    Check out Judge Richard Posner who gleefully touts that "The Constitution is not a suicide pact."

    That's neoconism for you.
    "If you wish to know how libertarians regard the State and any of its acts, simply think of the State as a criminal band, and all of the libertarian attitudes will logically fall into place." -Murray Rothbard

    "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." -Henry David Thoreau

  10. #10
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of
    anything except numbers. The only things I can
    think of that are truly discriminatory are things like
    the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine,
    Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.
    Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund,
    Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or
    Miss White America; and see what happens...
    Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.
    Too broad. Can't answer. Need specific instances.

    Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing
    makes you a killer. You can kill someone
    with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying
    to ban you from driving to the ball game.
    Disagree.

    "The NRA says guns don't kill people: PEOPLE kill people. But I think we can all agree that the gun helps.
    -Eddie Izzard

    I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason,
    which is why there are no girls allowed.
    Girls belong in the Girl Scouts!
    ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?
    They don't allow gays or atheists. CENSORED them.

    I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong,
    it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.
    Nope. It's a phobia.

    I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others
    because they are different, weird, or tick me off.
    Really? So you hit them / yell at them / shoot them / force them to do things? You're a lot more tolerant than you think.

    When 70% of the people who get arrested
    are black, in cities where 70% of the population
    is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the
    Law of Probability.
    Meh... prefer to see actual numbers before commenting.

    I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake,
    a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room,
    you must do it in English! As a matter of fact,
    if you want to be an American citizen,
    you should have to speak English!
    Agree.

    My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you
    can leave the countries you were born in to
    come over and disrespect ours.
    Define "disrespect". I'd be really impressed if someone could disrespect an entire country. To my knowledge, it's never been done... save for people like Benedict Arnold.

    I think the police should have every right to shoot
    your sorry ass if you threaten them after they
    tell you to stop. If you can't understand the
    word "freeze" or "stop" in English,
    see the above lines.
    Threaten with lethal force? Sure.

    I don't think just because you were not born
    in this country, you are qualified for any
    special loan programs, government sponsored
    bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can
    open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store,
    or any other business.
    Agreed.

    We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries
    and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms,
    so that decades later they could come over here
    and tell us our constitution is a living document;
    and open to their interpretations.
    O_o You're kidding, right?

    I don't hate the rich . I don't pity the poor.
    Me either.

    I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and
    television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.
    Me either. It's the homo-erotic white trash factor that stops me.

    I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every
    penny he made and continue to make more.
    If it ticks you off, go and invent the next
    operating system that's better,
    and put your name on the building.
    With great power comes great responsibility.

    It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right,
    but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid;
    and smack their little behinds when
    necessary, and say "NO!"
    Disagree. People who hit their kids are shitty parents. Yes, I said it. If you have to hit your kid... if you've been outsmarted by the 4 year old you've spent 4 years raising... if the only way you can resolve the situation is by slapping your kid then you're a shitty parent. My parents never hit me or my sister and never had to.

    I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want
    them, but please don't pretend they are a
    political statement. And, please, stay home until
    that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at
    your ugly infected mouth as you
    serve me French fries!
    Watch very carefully what I'm about to say: AMEN!

    I am sick of "Political Correctness."
    I know a lot of black people, and not a
    single one of them was born in Africa; so
    how can they be "African-Americans"?
    Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around
    saying I am a European-American because my
    great, great, great, great, great, great
    grandfather was from Europe .
    I am proud to be from America and nowhere else
    And if you don't like my point of view, tough...
    I'm sick of assholes who claim they're sick of political correctness but don't have the balls to be politically incorrect. Go up to a black person and tell him, "I don't care about being PC, you nigger." See what happens. Go on. Try it...

    ... or maybe being PC isn't such a bad thing and you should drink a big glass of shut the hell up & chill.

  11. #11
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North West Wisconsin.
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Re: Do YOU agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of
    anything except numbers. The only things I can
    think of that are truly discriminatory are things like
    the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine,
    Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.
    Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund,
    Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or
    Miss White America; and see what happens...
    Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.
    I AGREE THIS IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY IN A PAST THREAD. I beliv it was called. "Is this racism" check it out. But jut to make sure were clear im still for all races.

  12. #12
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,485
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Can I marry you southern belle? ;-)
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


  13. #13
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    With my Angel in Aurora
    Posts
    5,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhav
    I'm sick of assholes who claim they're sick of political correctness but don't have the balls to be politically incorrect. Go up to a black person and tell him, "I don't care about being PC, you nigger." See what happens. Go on. Try it...
    I don't have to. I wear a do-rag every day with a rebel flag on it for all to see....seems to aggravate a LOT of the beaners and nigglets around here...and I've heard I'm going to get shot one day. But hell, that's what God invented medical science.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

  14. #14
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,485
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    I don't have to. I wear a do-rag every day with a rebel flag on it for all to see....seems to aggravate a LOT of the beaners and nigglets around here...and I've heard I'm going to get shot one day. But hell, that's what God invented medical science.
    Don't worry, getting shot at aint too bad. From what I've seen they don't shoot any straighter than Arabs, so just stand directly where he is aiming and I guarantee you will be fine.
    Story time: I saw a group of 50 policeman, and 50 national guard (all iraqis) shooting at each other in 2004. Thousands of rounds from no more than 150 meters, more like 50. And a grand total of 1 fatality, a guy who accidentally shot himself at the beginning and triggered the whole thing.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


  15. #15
    Owner / Senior Admin

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric View Post
    I'm sick of assholes who claim they're sick of political correctness but don't have the balls to be politically incorrect. Go up to a black person and tell him, "I don't care about being PC, you nigger." See what happens. Go on. Try it...
    You confuse bigotry and racial slurs with being politically incorrect. The more accurate statement would be "Call a black man a black man instead of an African-American". "Nigger" has nothing to do with political correctness.

    ... or maybe being PC isn't such a bad thing and you should drink a big glass of shut the hell up & chill.
    Being PC is IMHO, for those who lack intellectual aptitude.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson




  16. #16
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    This isn't addressed to you, SB, as much as it is the writer of the comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of
    anything except numbers.
    lol. Typical view of someone locked in his Caucasian bubble.

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle
    I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake,
    a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room,
    you must do it in English! As a matter of fact,
    if you want to be an American citizen,
    you should have to speak English!
    So much for civil liberties, eh? If you speak in my country, I must understand you!

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle
    My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you
    can leave the countries you were born in to
    come over and disrespect ours.
    Right. Instead, immigrants should be voiceless pawns who refrain from making things better in the name of "respect".

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle
    I don't pity the poor.
    That's compassionate. I suppose those people earned their way into the ghetto while you were born in your middle class suburb.

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle
    It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right,
    but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid;
    and smack their little behinds when
    necessary, and say "NO!"
    Yep. Instead, society should sit by complacently while parents abuse their children.

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle
    And, please, stay home until
    that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at
    your ugly infected mouth as you
    serve me French fries!
    Then buy your greasy fast food elsewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by FruitandNut
    Whatever the lingua franca of a country, I feel it is beholding (and a politeness) for citizens and long term residents to make a serious attempt to gain some proficiency in it.
    I don't know if they should if they don't need it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
    Blech. I hate this stuff. Instead of thinking, conservatives read this garbage
    Nicely said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apok
    You confuse bigotry and racial slurs with being politically incorrect. The more accurate statement would be "Call a black man a black man instead of an African-American". "Nigger" has nothing to do with political correctness.
    Your distinction is meaningless, because in both examples, the fundamental principle is the same - it all centres around what offends other people. "Black" offends some people just as the "n-word" does. You consider the latter bigotry and a racial slur, they consider the former bigotry and a racial slur. So to avoid offending others, people who practise political correctness avoid using both. And it is manifestly hypocritical for people to refrain from using such words on the basis that they consider them bigoted and then turn around and criticize political correctness.
    [CENTER]-=] Starcreator [=-

  17. #17
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    With my Angel in Aurora
    Posts
    5,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    DISCLAIMER FOR THOSE WHO DON'T SEE A DISTINCTION BETWEEN 'BLACK' AND 'NIGGER': For the purposes of this thread, I'll henceforth refer to minority groups collectively as niggers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Don't worry, getting shot at aint too bad. From what I've seen they don't shoot any straighter than Arabs, so just stand directly where he is aiming and I guarantee you will be fine.
    Story time: I saw a group of 50 policeman, and 50 national guard (all iraqis) shooting at each other in 2004. Thousands of rounds from no more than 150 meters, more like 50. And a grand total of 1 fatality, a guy who accidentally shot himself at the beginning and triggered the whole thing.
    lol. It's like the old joke, "Why does the nigger hold his gun sideways? That's how it came in the box." But like I told Syl, I'm not worried about getting shot. What I'm worried about are vampires. Let's face the real threat, people. Chum in the water attracts sharks. Open wounds at night attract vampires. I think we can all agree that's a hassle no one wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by starcreator View Post
    lol. Typical view of someone locked in his Caucasian bubble.
    Not at all. Let's face it. If I were to beat a nigger half to death unprovoked, it'd go down in a court as a "Hate Crime". If a nigger were to beat me half to death unprovoked, then I'm just a victim of "Gang" or "Drug related" violence, and you'd have people like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, or the remaining Black Panthers and NAACP defending them as merely seeking retribution in a world set against the poor struggling nigger. It's a double standard that goes unchallenged.

    If you're dark, can dribble a ball of run fast, and know the alphabet, you can get a scholarship to college. If you're white, can dribble a ball, and know the alphabet...you're just a retard with some basic skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by starcreator View Post
    Your distinction is meaningless, because in both examples, the fundamental principle is the same - it all centres around what offends other people. "Black" offends some people just as the "n-word" does. You consider the latter bigotry and a racial slur, they consider the former bigotry and a racial slur. So to avoid offending others, people who practise political correctness avoid using both. And it is manifestly hypocritical for people to refrain from using such words on the basis that they consider them bigoted and then turn around and criticize political correctness.
    But we have a major problem with the words themselves. Most people, even participants in this thread, don't understand what the words actually mean nowadays. People see nigger as a slang term to degrade blacks. Nigger is basically the way you say, "Black White Trash". You've got White Trash, and you've got Niggers. Same type of useage for the terms. It's used to refer to a select subgroup of individuals within a group.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

  18. #18
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Underneath the mountains
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of
    anything except numbers.
    Entirely disagree. Being a minority does not mean it's entirely about numbers. Think about S. Africa. The black population there was around 90% of the population. Women are also considered a minority, though their population is slightly more than men. It's not, necessarily about numbers, it's about being disadvantaged in some sort of way. There's many ways you can be considered a minority.

    Strangely, I somewhat agree with being a victim of numbers. I am mixed race. People who ID with more than one race make up 2.4% of the US population. As a minority, who's true issues are usually invisible to other minority troubles, it's astounding the amount of ignorance that can prevail. When our population gained more recognition, the language changed a little...but we still end up, somewhat, a victim of numbers (though I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of being a victim anyways...it's sort of a stereotype familiar to multiracial people...being tragic, between two races, that sort of thing). Small numbers can lead to a lot of ignorance, with few to give proper perspective of what it is to be this or that minority. Stereotypes can go without correction, and a few of the population can become a representative for entire peoples of various backgrounds.

    BUT minorities, by definition, are victims by more than numbers...and that includes those in the usual sense.

    The only things I can
    think of that are truly discriminatory are things like
    the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine,
    Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.
    Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund,
    Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or
    Miss White America; and see what happens...
    Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.
    True...ish. The aim of most of those groups are to give a better image of black people and raise a group that has dealt with years of discrimatory practices and where many come from disadvantaged circumstances..I give exception to BET. On the technical terms, it is discriminatory as a vegeterian magazine would be. It's aimed for a certain audience. On the usual meaning given today I would not consider it so.

    [QUOTE]Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing
    makes you a killer. You can kill someone
    with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying
    to ban you from driving to the ball game. [/QUTOE]
    No...but it certainly makes it far easier to kill than a baseball bat or a car. And it's a little cleaner too. And technically, aren't most just trying to place stricter limitations on guns. It's like drinking and driving policies. Sure, cars can kill...but they have a higher propensity if the person behind the wheel is intoxicated.

    I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason,
    which is why there are no girls allowed.
    Girls belong in the Girl Scouts!
    ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?
    And boy, do we love their cookies! Agree.
    I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong,
    it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.
    Agree
    I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others
    because they are different, weird, or tick me off.
    Depends on the circumstance.
    When 70% of the people who get arrested
    are black, in cities where 70% of the population
    is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the
    Law of Probability.
    Agree...unfortunately, it usually doesn't work that way.

    I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake,
    a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room,
    you must do it in English! As a matter of fact,
    if you want to be an American citizen,
    you should have to speak English!
    Sure, it would be helpful...most of the people I meet in stores do. They might have thick accents from time to time...but they speak it. I disagree that you have to speak english to be an American citizen.

    My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you
    can leave the countries you were born in to
    come over and disrespect ours.
    Disagree-ish.

    I think the police should have every right to shoot
    your sorry ass if you threaten them after they
    tell you to stop. If you can't understand the
    word "freeze" or "stop" in English,
    see the above lines.
    disagree...I would hope the police would use more restraint and take less fatal actions to a threat. If they have a weapon and are wielding it around, sure shoot the person.

    I don't think just because you were not born
    in this country, you are qualified for any
    special loan programs, government sponsored
    bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can
    open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store,
    or any other business.
    Disagree. This, in the long run, would probably help the american economy and people now in this country's living and their childrens (now of this country's) living as well. I could see plenty of reasons why this would be a great idea.
    We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries
    and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms,
    so that decades later they could come over here
    and tell us our constitution is a living document;
    and open to their interpretations.
    Why not, we already have a long history of doing so.
    I don't hate the rich . I don't pity the poor.
    Agree...though I hate that our society has grown more polarized in these regions and that we have not come up and lessened this gap.
    I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and
    television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.
    Agree, that my brother decided to try out the moves did.
    I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every
    penny he made and continue to make more.
    If it ticks you off, go and invent the next
    operating system that's better,
    and put your name on the building.
    Maybe...mostly disagree. His wealth is dependent on a society that set up institutions for his education, a market that values his ingenuity, and workers to keep his company running. He's not "self-made"...no one is.
    It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right,
    but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid;
    and smack their little behinds when
    necessary, and say "NO!"
    Disagree.

    I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want
    them, but please don't pretend they are a
    political statement. And, please, stay home until
    that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at
    your ugly infected mouth as you
    serve me French fries!
    Disagree.

    I am sick of "Political Correctness."
    I know a lot of black people, and not a
    single one of them was born in Africa; so
    how can they be "African-Americans"?
    Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around
    saying I am a European-American because my
    great, great, great, great, great, great
    grandfather was from Europe .
    I am proud to be from America and nowhere else
    And if you don't like my point of view, tough...
    Agree. I think AA is long and an annoying term.


    I got this in an email....and I agree with pretty much everything it says. In fact I started a thread a while back about the first paragraph, and alot of people here agreed with me. The only thing I can't say I agree with...I do pity the poor, and wish there was something that could be done. But, what do you think? Do you agree with what is said above? What don't you agree with?
    I largely disagree I think...the tone is misleading IMHO.

    With luv,
    BD
    We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

  19. #19
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    I was here......
    Posts
    1,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Zhav--
    To my knowledge, it's never been done... save for people like Benedict Arnold.
    actually, if you knew more about Benedict Arnold...you would know that he didn't so much betray the country than want to get revenge with George Washington for not giving him control over a unit, and for repeatedly being looked over for the victories he achieved in the war. Arnold was also put over handing out supplies to persons in Philly, and was skimming a little off the top...this was common practice back then, but, the Penn. Governor disliked Arnold and threatened Washington with pulling out of the war if he didn't reprimand Arnold. Washington did, and fueled Arnold's betrayal more. The British agreed to give Arnold his due. In fact, Washington was headed to Arnold's house to promote him and finally give him the command he deserved, when he discovered Arnold's betrayal.

    So, bad example


    Can I marry you southern belle? ;-)

    I don't think my Air Force husband would approve of me running away with an Army guy! Haha. But, thanks anyway!!!
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

  20. #20
    Owner / Senior Admin

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do YOU agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by starcreator View Post
    Your distinction is meaningless, because in both examples, the fundamental principle is the same - it all centres around what offends other people. "Black" offends some people just as the "n-word" does.
    How many people does it offend? I grew up working in a black neighborhood and going to a black church. My friends were "black friends"...not "African-Americans". In fact, I don't know of ANY black person who is offended to refer to themselves as "black". I think this is something that you believe but isn't necessarily grounded in reality.

    You consider the latter bigotry and a racial slur, they consider the former bigotry and a racial slur.
    1) Prove it.
    2) Then support that X% of the black population being offended justifies a brand new term to label all black people.

    And it is manifestly hypocritical for people to refrain from using such words on the basis that they consider them bigoted and then turn around and criticize political correctness.
    Not at all. Your position is not grounded in reality. It certainly hasn't been supported in any way whatsoever. It is IMO, "white guilt" that leads white folks to that flawed position.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson




 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: March 28th, 2007, 02:39 PM
  2. Finally We Agree!!
    By MindTrap028 in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 26th, 2006, 03:44 PM
  3. Do you eat cheetos?
    By Zhavric in forum Shootin' the Breeze / Off-Topic
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: April 28th, 2006, 04:12 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 7th, 2005, 12:24 AM
  5. Graphic video policy
    By mrs_innocent in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 13th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •