Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: What is your stance on overpopulation?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. #1
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Palace of Kubla Khan and bovine worshippers
    Posts
    3,011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Your stance on overpopulation

    >> How many billion people do you think the earth can sustain at once?
    >> How long before the earth will reach that state of epidemic proportions?
    >> What are the signs of impending overpopulation?
    >> What are the components needed to sustain a world population?

    Cries that the world was already overpopulated were coming in a few decades ago, and now that we've about doubled the world's population since then, we're still getting along relatively well, with some obvious exceptions in Africa and elsewhere, but compared to a few decades ago, we're probably doing a little better overall in terms of sustaining ourselves.
    anything could be an illusion and we wouldn't know the difference... proof schmoof...

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    It's not just a matter of pure numbers. People don't live in evenly spaced squares across the globe with a certain amount of food magically distributed to them. It has to be looked at by culture and nation. China and India are certainly overpopulated.

  3. #3
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, S.Yorks., UK
    Posts
    8,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    People don't live optimally, particularly in the developed world. Also, are we going to give any consideration to the natural (non-human) world?
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

  4. #4
    I've been given a "timeout"

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Banville
    Posts
    4,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu Moo View Post
    >> How many billion people do you think the earth can sustain at once?
    >> How long before the earth will reach that state of epidemic proportions?
    >> What are the signs of impending overpopulation?
    >> What are the components needed to sustain a world population?

    Cries that the world was already overpopulated were coming in a few decades ago, and now that we've about doubled the world's population since then, we're still getting along relatively well, with some obvious exceptions in Africa and elsewhere, but compared to a few decades ago, we're probably doing a little better overall in terms of sustaining ourselves.
    Do you seriously believe the world is overpopulated?
    Do you have any proof on this?

    Do you realize that if you took 6 billion people and placed them in the same area they could all fit with 2 cubic feet apiece in New Orleans and surrounding burgs?

    Sorry overpopulation is a larger myth than global warming.

    Put some proof out here.

  5. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by wannaextreme View Post
    Do you seriously believe the world is overpopulated?
    Do you have any proof on this?

    Do you realize that if you took 6 billion people and placed them in the same area they could all fit with 2 cubic feet apiece in New Orleans and surrounding burgs?

    Sorry overpopulation is a larger myth than global warming.

    Put some proof out here.
    do you have proof wanna?
    Nothing will stand against the returning of He who hath died for us and His Father who breathed the breath of life into the dust that created man.
    Humbleness, Love, and loyalty to the word and his message.

    BF55.....

  6. #6
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    How many billion people do you think the earth can sustain at once? - 10 to 20 billion - those are nice round numbers.

    >> How long before the earth will reach that state of epidemic proportions? - about 50 - 100 years.

    >> What are the signs of impending overpopulation? - Spontaneous senseless violence, hunger, drought, disease, severe weather, desperation, hopelessness, etc. - all the signs of Armagedon.

    >> What are the components needed to sustain a world population? - Air, food, water and shelter.

    compared to a few decades ago, we're probably doing a little better overall in terms of sustaining ourselves.
    That's debatable. I have high maintainence requirements. I do feel we are holding our own - but very tenuously. I prefer to have more security (health care during retirement, no more terrorism, etc). I would imagine that depending on where you live, sustainance is a subjective term.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

  7. #7
    I've been given a "timeout"

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Banville
    Posts
    4,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bf55 View Post
    do you have proof wanna?
    BF I understand that some things are beyond your extremely limited ability to grasp. However as one introduces a problem and makes it seem like truth that one must also introduce proof as well. It is called the burden of proof.
    By shifting said burden of proof YOU are committing a fallacy.

    As for proof into my claim that New Orleans and surrounding burgs could fit all 6 billion people?

    Simple math- (I will explain it thoroughly for you)

    2000 square miles The city proper, including the surrounding burgs expands the area to almost 4000 square miles.

    New Orleans (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

    Simple math 4000 squared is actually (approx 64 times 64 =\= 4000 square miles) Now cubed it would be 64 x 64 x 64 =\= 262,144 cubed miles or 1,384,120,320 cubed feet.
    Again simple math.


    _________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________


    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    That's debatable. I have high maintainence requirements. I do feel we are holding our own - but very tenuously. I prefer to have more security (health care during retirement, no more terrorism, etc). I would imagine that depending on where you live, sustainance is a subjective term.
    Typical response from someone who rarely uses actual skills in debate.

    BF IS SO RIGHT ON.

    Seriously believe what you will, sadly you also believe in a fairy tale.
    Last edited by wanxtrmBANNED; August 1st, 2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #8
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    This information from various sources gives me concern about overpopulation:

    Nearly Half of Earth's Land Has Been Transformed by Humans. Humans have gravely altered the chemistry, biology and physical structure of the Earth's land and water, according to the latest findings on the "human footprint on Earth."
    • Half of the mangrove forests, which serve as estuaries in the tropics, have been lost to a combination of coastal development and conversion to aquaculture.
    • Global aquaculture now accounts for more than one-quarter of all fish consumed by humans. In the case of shrimp and salmon -- the fastest growing segment of aquaculture -- two to three pounds of fish are needed to grow one pound of the raised seafood. Thus this practice is depleting the oceans of food for wild fish, birds, and marine mammals.
    • About 3000 species of marine life are in transit in ballast water of ships around the world, resulting in a serious invasion of non-native species in our waterways. A minor but increasing contributor to the problem is escape of non-native fish and plants from aquariums.
    • There are now some 50 'dead zones' in the world's coastal areas, she reported. The largest in the Western Hemisphere is in the Gulf of Mexico, caused by excess nitrogen and phosphorus flowing down the Mississippi River
    July 30, 1999 Eureka Alert

    People and Ecosystems, the Fraying Web of Life.
    • Half of the world's wetlands were lost last century.
    • Logging and conversion have shrunk the world's forests by as much as half.
    • Some 9 percent of the world's tree species are at risk of extinction; tropical deforestation may exceed 130,000 square kilometers per year.
    • Fishing fleets are 40 percent larger than the ocean can sustain.
    • Nearly 70 percent of the world's major marine fish stocks are overfished or are being fished at their biological limit.
    • Soil degradation has affected two-thirds of the world's agricultural lands in the last 50 years.
    • Some 30 percent of the world's original forests have been converted to agriculture.
    • Since 1980, the global economy has tripled in size and population has grown by 30 percent to 6 billion people.
    • Dams, diversions or canals fragment almost 60 percent of the world's largest rivers.
    • Twenty percent of the world's freshwater fish are extinct, threatened or endangered.
    March 2000 United Nations Development Programme

    World Population Awareness - Impacts

    Typical response from someone who rarely uses actual skills in debate.
    Wanna - that's an ad hom. Shame on you.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

  9. #9
    Owner / Senior Admin

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,386
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Overpopulation isn't necessarily just about physical land space. I don't think anyone would argue that there isn't enough space for everyone...obviously there is, we are all here.

    Overpopulation also has to do with resource use. Is it the case that people are without resources because it is too populated in the area they live?

    Or is it the case that there are enough resources, but they just aren't getting to the population for some reason?
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson




  10. #10
    I've been given a "timeout"

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Who are you? Why are you asking me this?
    Posts
    4,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    Overpopulation isn't necessarily just about physical land space. I don't think anyone would argue that there isn't enough space for everyone...obviously there is, we are all here.

    Overpopulation also has to do with resource use. Is it the case that people are without resources because it is too populated in the area they live?

    Or is it the case that there are enough resources, but they just aren't getting to the population for some reason?
    I would have to say as China's abundance of food shows, it isn't even about the traditional resources as we understand them. I mean, Africa has water, land, seeds. So why are they starving?
    I think the big issue is stability and technology. With those two things, a society in the tens of billions could live comfortably I would imagine. Without them, a few million starts to rot away a city with disease and filth.

  11. #11
    ODN's Crotchety Old Man

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    9,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Population, smopulation. There's plenty of room. People just tend to cluster and then train the system they've in which they've balled up.

  12. #12
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by wannaextreme View Post
    BF I understand that some things are beyond your extremely limited ability to grasp.
    cool dude, i'm tired of you flaming though how ever whether or not everyone could fit there really doesn't matter i was just wondering what your proof was but dude you are an a** hole you degrade debates, you piss me off with the way you debate, all you say is "your not that smart, you dont have the ability to understand this" you are stupid dude i dont get on to see your sorry a** try and flame me youll never be as good as the greats, keep your oppinions to your self and if you do flame be original, you debate like a 4 year old with a brain tumor

    ALL i said was do u have proof and all you can do is flame cause im cool with who i am and you feel better about your self when you flame, didnt i ask a question that any good debator could ask.



    im going to be pissed if this post gets deleted cause you flamed first and no one said anything about it.
    Last edited by Dionysus; August 2nd, 2007 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
    Nothing will stand against the returning of He who hath died for us and His Father who breathed the breath of life into the dust that created man.
    Humbleness, Love, and loyalty to the word and his message.

    BF55.....

  13. #13
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bf55 View Post
    ALL i said was do u have proof and all you can do is flame cause im cool with who i am and you feel better about your self when you flame, didnt i ask a question that any good debator could ask.

    im going to be pissed if this post gets deleted cause you flamed first and no one said anything about it.
    I said something about it:
    Quote:
    Typical response from someone who rarely uses actual skills in debate.

    Wanna - that's an ad hom. Shame on you.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

  14. #14
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Ok, back to the actual debate, what are the factors we are using to determine overpopulation?
    Hunger doesn't work, we've always had that and technology will likely affect it
    Space per person doesn't really work, cities have quickly decreased that but increased the standard of living.
    I'll be honest, I don't really know.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


  15. #15
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Ok, back to the actual debate, what are the factors we are using to determine overpopulation?
    Hunger doesn't work, we've always had that and technology will likely affect it
    Space per person doesn't really work, cities have quickly decreased that but increased the standard of living.
    I'll be honest, I don't really know.
    That's a fair question. Here's what I consider overpopulation:

    I get up in the morning and there are 10 people sleeping in my room; I have to wait to get in the bathroom. When I get dressed I hurry out the door and play in traffic for hours. If anything happens on the way to work and I have to go to the hospital, I am left to die because there are no ambulances available. When it comes time to get buried, I have to share a casket.

    It's all a little subjective - but you get the picture - overpopulation means TOO MANY PEOPLE AROUND! Colonizing outer space should help ease the congestion one day.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

  16. #16
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    That's a fair question. Here's what I consider overpopulation:

    I get up in the morning and there are 10 people sleeping in my room; I have to wait to get in the bathroom. When I get dressed I hurry out the door and play in traffic for hours. If anything happens on the way to work and I have to go to the hospital, I am left to die because there are no ambulances available. When it comes time to get buried, I have to share a casket.

    It's all a little subjective - but you get the picture - overpopulation means TOO MANY PEOPLE AROUND! Colonizing outer space should help ease the congestion one day.
    I agree with the space colonization thing. It sounds more like you need to get a better paying job though ;-) Or that you have an interesting social life, waking up with 10 people in your room.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


  17. #17
    I've been given a "timeout"

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Banville
    Posts
    4,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bf55 View Post

    ALL i said was do u have proof and all you can do is flame cause im cool with who i am and you feel better about your self when you flame, didnt i ask a question that any good debator could ask.



    im going to be pissed if this post gets deleted cause you flamed first and no one said anything about it.
    I provided proof, obviously you have issues reading and or researching. Not to mention terrible spelling.

    Good luck.

  18. #18
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs down Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by wannaextreme View Post
    I provided proof, obviously you have issues reading and or researching. Not to mention terrible spelling.

    Good luck.
    No, What i said was: I asked you a rational debate question and you responded like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum. And we all know it's because i can debate better than you on most issues.
    Nothing will stand against the returning of He who hath died for us and His Father who breathed the breath of life into the dust that created man.
    Humbleness, Love, and loyalty to the word and his message.

    BF55.....

  19. #19
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    I agree with the space colonization thing. It sounds more like you need to get a better paying job though ;-) Or that you have an interesting social life, waking up with 10 people in your room.
    Squatch - that was all hypothetical.

    I just thought about how crowded ant colonies can get, yet they all seem to get along and work together. Humans need more space - I think.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

  20. #20
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    American Southwest
    Posts
    663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Your stance on overpopulation

    What is of grave concern to me is that there are fanatical groups out there who want radical human population reduction.

    Groups like Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and Earth First are not above stooping to terrorism to achieve their goals. Many of the members of these groups see the West and Capitalism as the enemy of their vision of a world population below 1 billion.
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Price of Atheism
    By Dionysus in forum Current Events
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: May 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM
  2. Something from nothing: the THEIST stance.
    By Zhavric in forum Religion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: May 16th, 2007, 07:27 AM
  3. Fundamentalist Agnosticism
    By Zhavric in forum Religion
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: February 16th, 2007, 04:13 AM
  4. Abortion Stance
    By Meng Bomin in forum ODN Polls
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: October 21st, 2004, 09:48 AM
  5. Third Presidential Debate
    By Fyshhed in forum Politics
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: October 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •