Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Palace of Kubla Khan and bovine worshippers
    Post Thanks / Like

Prophets & Man-made Religious Laws

In discussing the LDS church's Word of Wisdom, this sub-topic came up, so I'm branching it out into its own topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Apok
    Non-denominational Christianity places little to no value in man made traditions/religious law, as we believe what is right and what is wrong is decided and proclaimed by God...and that man has no authority to do so.
    Where do prophets fit into this equation? Are the prophets deciding what is right and wrong, or are they receiving counsel from God?

Amos 3:7
    Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

This doesn't need to be a strict discussion about prophets, but it might be somewhat related, so I thought I'd provide some backdrop.

Quote Originally Posted by Apok
    Man is a fallible being and thus, a poor standard of measurement when it comes to defining a moral compass.
    What if certain men were commissioned by God to receive direct counsel from Him, as were the prophets of old?

A couple other basic questions:
    What are some examples of man-made religious laws?
    When /is it/has it been/ permissible for religious laws to change, and what were the allowing conditions?
    Why would God discontinue having prophets, and where is that indicated scripturally?

A few more references alluding to the process of how God speaks to His people. Perhaps we might refer to some of these later, so I'm just trying to think ahead. No need to address all of these points yet, but I'm confident we'll get back to them.

Luke 1:70
    As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:

For thousands of years, and then stop?

Ephesians 2
    19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

If apostles and prophets are a foundation of the gospel, is this only retroactive?

1 Cor. 12:12, 27-28
    12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
    27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
    28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Why would this structure have changed suddenly, except possibly for apostasy?

Numbers 12:6
    And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.

How does God talk to His people in the supposed post-apostolic era?
    anything could be an illusion and we wouldn't know the difference... proof schmoof...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prophets & Man-made Religious Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu Moo View Post
    How does God talk to His people in the supposed post-apostolic era?
    Unless God has evolved beyond talking - he probably communicates in the same manner he did since the beginning of time. He certainly doesn't need apostles to talk to anyone.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Palace of Kubla Khan and bovine worshippers
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prophets & Man-made Religious Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    Unless God has evolved beyond talking - he probably communicates in the same manner he did since the beginning of time. He certainly doesn't need apostles to talk to anyone.
    But this presents a problem to the question raised, namely the idea that God no longer reveals doctrinal issues to people, since it allegedly is all self-contained in the scriptures.
    anything could be an illusion and we wouldn't know the difference... proof schmoof...