Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

How to use this forum

This new forum for ODN is used specifically to address existing debates at ODN. It is not to continue a current debate, it is a place where members can
    • discuss debate strategies
    • discuss or offer sources
    • discuss who the winner of the debate is
    • who is winning at the time
    • create polls about the debate threads
    • etc...

Anyone can create a thread/poll, but please make it obvious what the thread is about in your title so it does not get confused with the actual, original thread.

Use some sort of "prefix" in your thread title to differentiate it between the original thread.

eg...

Original thread: Does God exist?

Discussion about original thread: DISCUSSION: Does God exist?

This way, it shows up a bit different. Also, if you wish to create a poll, you could state that as the title...

eg..

POLL: Does God exist?

I realize, that both naming conventions can still be misleading to those who are unfamiliar with this new forum's setup, however, 1) I'm open to different naming conventions, and 2) through repetition and consistency, it will eventually become the norm.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use this forum

Apok, help me out here:
    • Its not clear to me how the first topic differs from the "About Debate" forum.
    • In the case of the second topic, shouldn't sources be discussed and offered in the debate itself?
    • What did you have in mind for "etc..." that would distinguish this from other forums?

Discussions on winners and polls about aspects of a separate thread would be a unique offering, but I don't know if the forum title reflects this.
    Its turtles, all the way down.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It's a move towards organising the debates a little more, if I have it right.

With a forum designated to discuss the current, or recent, debates then we'd be able to go, "Okay, time for a thread about the debate" and discuss what the individuals are doing right in that thread, what they're doing wrong, how to fix it, etc, without mucking the debate itself.

Having a forum set aside for that purpose, as opposed to "About Debate" would be helpful if used right. About Debate is geared towards introductions to debating, familiarization with specific forms of argument, etc. This won't be that.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

About Debate forum is a forum where discussions about the debate process, tips, strategies, questions, etc... are given.

THIS forum is where specific threads can be discussed.

I'm adding about 3-4 new forums, this is the first. When I get them all added, I'll make an announcement.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

What Im wondering is how to create a debate topic

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

How do you create a thread???
    Last edited by dbogjohnson; December 13th, 2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost