Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Castro's tip: Clinton-Obama the winning ticket - Yahoo! News

    This article is funny on so many levels. I especially like the part about his admiration for Carter at the end.

    Anyway, think Fidel is getting senile, trying to help this possible U.S. presidential ticket by voicing his support for it?

  2. #2
    I've been given a "timeout"

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Who are you? Why are you asking me this?
    Posts
    4,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning View Post
    Castro's tip: Clinton-Obama the winning ticket - Yahoo! News

    This article is funny on so many levels. I especially like the part about his admiration for Carter at the end.

    Anyway, think Fidel is getting senile, trying to help this possible U.S. presidential ticket by voicing his support for it?
    He's a communist, hence it is sensible he would support those closer to his ideologicla position.
    It dosen't seem that funny Kev.

  3. #3
    Owner / Senior Admin

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    No, it's not surprising, nor is it senility. I think a lot of America's enemies (or those who are close to it politically) prefer to have Clinton or Obama in office. Lack of direct confrontation that way (and lack of balls to do anything if the situation should call for it). While I think Bush's reaction was stretched and misplayed, I certainly don't think that there is such a thing as an assertive, "America first" Democratic candidate who has the capability to get his/her hands dirty when necessary.

    Perhaps that's what America needs, a more passive, reserved leader, I don't know. But it's a given, that America's enemies would prefer a more hesitant, passive, afraid to go "toe-to-toe" type leader (which I think all current Dem candidates are). Makes their agenda a whole lot easier.

    Paper tigers aren't much of a deterrent.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson




  4. #4
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning View Post
    Castro's tip: Clinton-Obama the winning ticket - Yahoo! News

    This article is funny on so many levels. I especially like the part about his admiration for Carter at the end.

    Anyway, think Fidel is getting senile, trying to help this possible U.S. presidential ticket by voicing his support for it?
    I think many Florida Cubans don't expect Castro to live out this year, much less survive until the November 2008 general election. When Castro goes, so does any possible Republican advantage. Other issues wait in the wings, like comprehensive immigration reform. Unlike many non-Hispanic Americans, the Florida Cuban community enthusiastically endorsed the recently defeated bill. As the Republican Party moves steadily to the right on immigration, Cubans are not following. Therein lies an opportunity for Democrats.

    Even if Castro manages to hang on, Florida Cubans increasingly want more access to the island and their relatives. Travel restrictions anger many Cubans.

    Politics are changing in Florida. The old Cold War rhetoric that served Republicans so well for so long is giving way to new economic and social realities. Obama and Clinton both understand these shifts well as they court younger Cuban voters. All they need is a slight increase in support to make a big difference in Florida's razor thin presidential elections.

    Cuban-Americans torn over immigration, GOP - Gebe Martinez - Politico.com

    NPR : Democrats Court Florida's Cuban-Americans

  5. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    I guess Castro doesn't realize that it doesn't matter who is president since the illuminati (secret government people) are really in charge. No, I can't support it - they are a SECRET organization. I'll gladly retract my statement if it makes you feel happy.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

  6. #6
    Owner / Senior Admin

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Moved to off-topic for lack of argumentation in op.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson




  7. #7
    I've been given a "timeout"

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Who are you? Why are you asking me this?
    Posts
    4,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    Moved to off-topic for lack of argumentation in op.
    Don't do that. I was just being vindictive. Castro supporting a prominent presidenal ticket is an implied debate, as it it such a contentious issue.

  8. #8
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    No, it's not surprising, nor is it senility. I think a lot of America's enemies (or those who are close to it politically) prefer to have Clinton or Obama in office. Lack of direct confrontation that way (and lack of balls to do anything if the situation should call for it). While I think Bush's reaction was stretched and misplayed, I certainly don't think that there is such a thing as an assertive, "America first" Democratic candidate who has the capability to get his/her hands dirty when necessary.

    Perhaps that's what America needs, a more passive, reserved leader, I don't know. But it's a given, that America's enemies would prefer a more hesitant, passive, afraid to go "toe-to-toe" type leader (which I think all current Dem candidates are). Makes their agenda a whole lot easier.

    Paper tigers aren't much of a deterrent.
    Anti-Democrats really need to get their story straight. Is Hilary a cold, aggressive and power-hungry woman who would do anything to gain power, or is she a passive, reserved person who does not dare get her hands dirty? Is Obama crazy for suggesting pre-emptive strikes on Iran and Pakistan, or is he someone who is afraid to go "toe-to-toe" with America's adversaries?

    Really, these caricatures of Democrats as being soft and passive are quite shallow and uncritical, and do not appear to have any factual basis. They almost seem like an automated, Pavlovian response some people have when asked to comment on Democratic candidates.
    Trendem

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    Moved to off-topic for lack of argumentation in op.
    Whatever you think, but I raised the question of his motives for voicing his support of the ticket. Perhaps I should state my position more clearly: I think it's stupid for him to try and assist an American ticket by publicly supporting it, considering he knows how disliked he is by the American public.


    _________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________


    Quote Originally Posted by Trendem View Post
    Is Obama crazy for suggesting pre-emptive strikes on Iran and Pakistan, or is he someone who is afraid to go "toe-to-toe" with America's adversaries?
    And you really think he would actually do that? What makes you think so? He is quite liberal. Voting records count more than words.
    Last edited by KevinBrowning; August 29th, 2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. #10
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning View Post
    And you really think he would actually do that? What makes you think so? He is quite liberal. Voting records count more than words.
    Again, you are engaging in crude stereotypes. Just because someone is a liberal, doesn't mean he would not use force when force is really needed.

    A good politician knows that things are not black and white. Direct military confrontation is ill-advised in some cases and the wisest course of action in others. Only uncritical and shallow people think that a conservative must always be hawkish, or a liberal always dovey. The fact that Obama voted against past wars doesn't mean that he is "afraid to confront America's enemies". It just shows that he judged those particular wars to be unwise, and in the case of the Iraq War, his judgement was thoroughly vindicated.
    Trendem

  11. #11
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trendem View Post
    Again, you are engaging in crude stereotypes. Just because someone is a liberal, doesn't mean he would not use force when force is really needed.
    And would he think force is really needed when it is? Probably not. Nothing in his record shows he's the least bit willing to use military force unless we're directly invaded, perhaps. Liberalism today is very anti-war, and I have no reason to believe his claims about willingness to use force.

  12. #12
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    I wonder if Castro is considered a "Liberal" - I mean, he did take power by force. Any thoughts?
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

  13. #13
    Owner / Senior Admin

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trendem View Post
    Anti-Democrats really need to get their story straight. Is Hilary a cold, aggressive and power-hungry woman who would do anything to gain power, or is she a passive, reserved person who does not dare get her hands dirty?
    Why are these the only two options? What does a method/desire used to get into office, necessarily have to do with how one behaves in office?

    Is Obama crazy for suggesting pre-emptive strikes on Iran and Pakistan, or is he someone who is afraid to go "toe-to-toe" with America's adversaries?
    He's just a nutjob who has absolutely no understanding of foreign policy (as evidenced by stupid statements against America's allies, stating that he'd never use nuclear weapons under any circumstances whatsoever - when it's been their possible use that has secured America's position as a superpower), and stating that he'd meet with enemies of the state, unconditionally).
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson




  14. #14
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    Why are these the only two options? What does a method/desire used to get into office, necessarily have to do with how one behaves in office?
    Because how aggressively one pursues power reflects one's character in general, which gives an indication of how one would act in office.

    But what about you? You were the one who claimed that Hilary and Obama lack balls and will not dare to confront America's enemies when necessary. I've not seen a shred of proof for that claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    He's just a nutjob who has absolutely no understanding of foreign policy (as evidenced by stupid statements against America's allies, stating that he'd never use nuclear weapons under any circumstances whatsoever - when it's been their possible use that has secured America's position as a superpower), and stating that he'd meet with enemies of the state, unconditionally).
    The wisdom of Obama's foreign policy is debatable. I don't necessarily see why the examples you've cited show that he is a "nutjob". Eschewing the use of nuclear weapons is not the stance of a nutjob - nutjobs are people who think nuclear weapons can solve problems in this day and age.
    Trendem

  15. #15
    I've been given a "timeout"

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Who are you? Why are you asking me this?
    Posts
    4,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    when it's been their possible use that has secured America's position as a superpower), and stating that he'd meet with enemies of the state, unconditionally).
    Yes, because America wasn't a superpower until 1960, maybe 1970s. And it was only through the stringent usage of the word "nuke" that you were able to rise to that position in the world.

  16. #16
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clinton-Obama '08: Castro gives thumbs up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trendem View Post
    nutjobs are people who think nuclear weapons can solve problems in this day and age.
    Ever heard of MAD? If other countries have nukes, are we just supposed to trust that they will be friendly and not use them, and give up all of ours because it's the nice thing to do?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. New Poll: Clinton Widens Lead
    By manise in forum Politics
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: May 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM
  2. Bush's Job Approval
    By Booger in forum ODN Polls
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: October 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM
  3. BushSpeak
    By Iluvatar in forum Politics
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM
  4. Obama vs. Keyes
    By Spartacus in forum Politics
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2004, 08:18 PM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2004, 09:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •