Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Charges in Haditha case are dropped!

“This is certainly not the criminal incident they thought it would be.”

This summer has seen a winnowing of the charges brought against the eight defendants.
    "Those against four of the eight defendants have either been dismissed outright or reduced in connection with grants of immunity. Other cases appear stalled or weak."
    SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Military -- Charges in Haditha case are dropped

Will those on the far left, like Murtha, apologize for condemning these men before they were even charged?

Will those on ODN who jumped on the bandwagon condemning these men apologize for being so wrong?

In my opinion many on the far left do what they can to vilify the military. The piling on in the Haditha case is just one example of this.
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Charges in Haditha case are dropped!

Wait...I thought that one of them admitted to the charges of murder...??

*edit* There are still 3 defendants in the case who are not getting their charges dropped according to the article. The enlisted men were accused of murder, the officers were accused of not investigating the incident properly. The case against the OFFICERS was dropped, as well as 1 of the enlisted. But the case is still proceeding against 3 enlisted men.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It is always less embarrassing to prosectute the squaddie than let those higher up the chain of control and command take what would probably be deserved flak.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    Wait...I thought that one of them admitted to the charges of murder...??

*edit* There are still 3 defendants in the case who are not getting their charges dropped according to the article. The enlisted men were accused of murder, the officers were accused of not investigating the incident properly. The case against the OFFICERS was dropped, as well as 1 of the enlisted. But the case is still proceeding against 3 enlisted men.
    This is certainly not the case it was at the beginning and those three will likely not be charged with murder. And let us not forget how these men were attacked (by the anti-war/anti-American establishment) before they were even formally charged.

CHRIS MATTHEWS, HOST: Let me ask you Mr. Murtha to give us some details about that. Draw us a picture of what happened at Haditha.

REP. JOHN “JACK” MURTHA: Well, I’ll tell you exactly what happened. One Marine was killed and the Marines just said we’re going to take care – we don’t know who the enemy is, the pressure was too much on them, so they went into houses and they actually killed civilians. And, and –

MATTHEWS:—was this My Lai? Was this a case of – when you say cold blood Congressman, a lot of people think you’re basically saying you got some civilians sitting in a room around a field and they’re executed.

MURTHA: That’s exactly it.
    Expose the Left » Murtha on Hardball: Troops "Killed Civilians", Agrees With My Lai Comparison
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I think has been interesting. Does everyone realize that an IED (what killed the marine) almost always has a triggerman? Someone who arms or sets it off, and is an enemy combatant. This is definitely a far cry from MyLai.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

This is definitely a far cry from MyLai.
    I agree. Christopher Hitchens writes of the comparison:

In Vietnam, the rules of engagement were such as to make an atrocity—the slaughter of the My Lai villagers took almost a day rather than a white-hot few minutes—overwhelmingly probable. The ghastliness was only stopped by a brave officer who prepared his chopper-gunner to fire. In those days there were no precision-guided missiles, but there were "free-fire zones," and "body counts," and other virtual incitements to psycho officers such as Capt. Medina and Lt. Calley. As a consequence, a training film about My Lai—"if anything like this happens, you have really, truly screwed up"—has been in use for U.S. soldiers for some time.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I remember that film, it is used usually to discuss what is and is not a lawful order.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Post Thanks / Like

Judge Orders Rep. John Murtha to Testify in Marine Sergeant Defamation Case

WASHINGTON — A federal judge refused Friday to dismiss a defamation case against Rep. John P. Murtha and ordered the Pennsylvania Democrat to give a sworn deposition in the case.

A Marine Corps sergeant accuses the 16-term congressman of falsely accusing him of "cold-blooded murder and war crimes" in connection with the deaths of Iraqi civilians.

FOXNews.com - Judge Orders Rep. John Murtha to Testify in Marine Sergeant Defamation Case - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

I believe he should be forced to step down. This man is clearly an embarrassment to the Democrat party.

Off topic:

And Rush Laimbaugh was attacked for the Jesse McBeth "phony soldier" comment?

"The only problem with MacBeth’s story was MacBeth himself: He had finished only six weeks of Army basic training, was never a Ranger and never deployed in Iraq. After conservative bloggers exposed him last year, he faced further trouble: Pleading guilty in June in federal court in Seattle to one count of making false statements to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs."
    The Swamp: Rush expands 'phony soldier' roster: Rep. Murtha