Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

SC: Is Beauty Objective?

Is Beauty Objective?

Standards of beauty vary by culture and over time, certainly. But, is there an aspect of what is considered beautiful that remains constant across cultures and time? Would that aspect be considered an objective standard?
    Its turtles, all the way down.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SC: Is Beauty Objective?

A firm belly and nice boobs will do for starters.

Oh - tight jeans and a bippy top are nice too.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post

Isn't that just your subjective taste?

Post Thanks / Like

How can jeans be objective? The Romans didn't wear them.

How about, a tight toga and big boobs?
    ~ le prime di di mont la vacja no fas formadi ~

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjjs View Post
    How about, a tight toga and big boobs?
    lol...Right...was there an analogous standard for them? Wonder what it was, and if it parallels current standards .

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The one aspect of beauty that has been proven to be objective is symmetry.

There have been some studies done on this.

The one that's most memorable to me, is a study where infants (under 1 year old)
    were shown photos of male and female faces.

The infants all seemed to prefer the faces that were more symmetrical. (The same on both the left and right sides)

(Actual mathmatical calculations were done to determine
    how symmetrical the faces were.)

It is theorized that symmetry of features may indicate the fertility and health of an individual.

Therefore, the most symmetrical
    were the most fertile and healthy, so they were more attractive to others.
    "As long as I have a voice, I will speak for those who have none".

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zenstone View Post
    lol...Right...was there an analogous standard for them? Wonder what it was, and if it parallels current standards .
    There is no parallel - they had no bra's.

After some thought I have decided that true beauty can only be revealed with no clothes on.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett44 View Post
    The one aspect of beauty that has been proven to be objective is symmetry.
    True for humans. I've heard about similar reports. (although my particular fondness often strays from symmetry.)

What about beauty in art? Many well-acclaimed works of art are not symmetrical, at least in a sense most people recognize. Japser Johns, Pollock, Picasso, Calder...

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

After some thought I have decided that true beauty can only be revealed with no clothes on.
    Don't tell the fashion industry.
    Last edited by Zenstone; October 14th, 2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not think that beauty is objective at all...

look no further than the Romans for that proof.....they truly look at big beautiful women.....as big beautiful women as opposed to you guys that just say that to a lady when you are too drunk to go after thin beautiful ladies at a bar

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it is subjective but also somewhat consistant suggesting that thre are core virtues that folks find beautiful but there are also a lot of subtle variations between individuals.

Clearly tastse differ but there are certain traits of things that generaly inspire someone to say a thing is beautiful. When it comes to sex apeal its a bit more universal but not entirely. When it comes to art.. its pretty subjective but you can still find some measure of agreement on great art.

By definition though... anything that is judged by a person in some way and can not be judged without a human perspective is subjective. (I went through this with someone else, is morality subjective.) The websters definition is pretty clear that if it can only exist by virtue of human thought then a thing is subjective.

My wife is fat but I think she is beautiful. I don't think all fat women are beautiful and I do think many skinny women are beautiful as well. Symetry is part of it too. Also just fememninity is a big factor as is a look of general health.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

There is no parallel - they had no bra's.

Lmao Snoop - you made my day with this one.

If you talk about beauty from outside...i don't think there is really a standard across cultures over centuries as each culture differ.

If you look at black south african women.... most have big butts and huge breasts....something that most black men like.

White south african women however are the total opposite, you do get your woman that do have big butts and big breasts, but most are very equally proportioned... most black men indicated that they don't like that.

White men however indicated that they don't like big butts and too big breasts.

And then taste differs from individual to individual.

And just an observation from my side.....why do you all only talk about beauty in women? I rather talk about men.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

I, honestly, value good hair above big breasts or big butt....that is me though

Post Thanks / Like

I think light skin in every culture is valued as beauty.
    I for one don't judge people on their looks, I'm just putting it out there.

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I think light skin in every culture is valued as beauty.
    I for one don't judge people on their looks, I'm just putting it out there.
    Everyone judges people by looks, there is nothing wrong with that...it is when you judge people by nothing but looks...that is when it could be argued that it is bad.

Unless you are blind of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princefigs View Post
    Everyone judges people by looks, there is nothing wrong with that...it is when you judge people by nothing but looks...that is when it could be argued that it is bad.

Unless you are blind of course.
    I am not blind, and no, not everyone judges people on looks. I don't judge on looks at all, not even a tiny bit. I like to actually get to know the person and become friends, it's all based on how we connect.. not what they look like.

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I am not blind, and no, not everyone judges people on looks. I don't judge on looks at all, not even a tiny bit. I like to actually get to know the person and become friends, it's all based on how we connect.. not what they look like.
    hmmm....well....every study I have ever read suggest otherwise. But I am not going to tell you how you view people.

exist

Everyone appears to to be concerned with the characteristics of human beauty. Taste or what pleases is only style is style objective?

Objective?

"Truth is beauty and beauty is truth, that is all ye know and all ye need to know"...Keats.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

In India, 500 years ago, a big, round belly was considered arousing.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

In India...they also think the lighter your skin is...the more beautiful you are. Over here...it seems the opposite. The tanner/darker you are...the more attractive.

Maybe, the opposite of what you are used to is considered beautiful. Exotic.
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    In India...they also think the lighter your skin is...the more beautiful you are. Over here...it seems the opposite. The tanner/darker you are...the more attractive.

Maybe, the opposite of what you are used to is considered beautiful. Exotic.
    Ehh... lighter skin seems universal. I can think of examples in Mexico, South American cultures, East Asian cultures, you cited Indian, Russian and European cultures of course...

I would ask apoestertjie about South African preference for lighter vs darker. Also, I am unsure about pacific islanders and indigenous cultures of various lands, and Middle Eastern.

I do not agree that dark skin is attractive, and I live in the United States. In fact, tanning salons and sun bathing is often avoided and advised against due to health implications. Therefore, although some cults or small groups may find tanning to be attractive, I do not believe it is the majority. However, I do not have evidence, and would be open to evidence proving me wrong.

Also, a counterexample is that in Japan, there are women who would dye their hair blonde and tan as dark as possible, then sell themselves for sex I believe ... ganj(g)uro girls!

//I have to go to bed and have not reviewed/proof read this post before clicking submit.//

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast