Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Supreme Court Contempary Bais

I would argue the Supreme court does NOT in fact reflect a more reasoned opinion on the consisitution as it is purported, but rather simply reflects whatever contempary feeling exists in the nation at the time.
    Consider that they upheld countless unconsititutional (at least found so at a later date) laws during its existence, and that have been cast out.

I would argue by allowing the Supreme court to operate under the rheteric of impartiality we deny what it truly is. A more-or-less reasoned gauge for public sentiment on matters of state, who, through the process of homogenization through association (consider ODN is far more libertarian then most of the population at large, primarily, I would argue, because we've through debate rubbed off each other's pointy liberal/conserv. ness), simply spit back how the wind is blowing.

I would also take issue with the nature of appointment. The executive branch, by picking the supreme level of the courts, gives itself control if sufficently organized into parties (political party judge plus political party president = mutal back scratcher).
    Further, the oversight of this court is terrible. By only forcing resignation through death or choice, we deny the fact that judges, as human beings, eventually become irrelevant antiquations. I would support this with the fact that judges are traiditonally extremely conservative in there rulings, (conservative as in supporting the norm/greatest approval, not pro-gun anti-gays conservative).