Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: Which is the best Cooking Show?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Best Cooking Show

Ok, so I'm a bit of a foody and love watching cooking shows. I was curious who everyone out there enjoys (if anyone). Feel free to post alternatives.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Cooking Show

I lvoe Good Eats, but I should have put anything Tyler Florence, because I am going to have his babies one day and he doesn't know it. But he will one day.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not partial to Cajun cooking - but Emerl has some show business savvy.

I voted for this show: Paula' Home Cooking: Paula Deen : Show List A To Z : TV : Food Network

I've watched it a few times and her accent just enthrals you. Southern cooking is so good - and they just LOVE butter.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I like Rick Bayless, Mexico, One Plate at a Time.

I also used to like Breaking Bread with Father Dominic.

I don't have cable so I only watch the cooking shows on PBS.

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE Good Eats. What could be better? Cooking, information, humor. Brilliant!! My daughter used to watch his show. She was about 2, and everytime it would come on, she'd camp out in front of the tv. My husband wants Paula Deen to adopt him......and I'd like that too. She'd make a great mother in law.
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I detest Paula Dean and Rachel Ray. Okay, Paula Dean isn't as bad as Rachel Ray, but if I could, I'd kill Rachel Ray.

I love Good Eats, Ace of Cakes, Everyday Italian, and grilling one with Bobby Flay.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Without a doubt the original Iron Chef, the one that was all in Japanese and not the pathetic American version, that was definitely the best of them all.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I also like Batali, speaking of the American Iron Chef.
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Without a doubt the original Iron Chef, the one that was all in Japanese and not the pathetic American version, that was definitely the best of them all.
    the Japanese version was much better......maybe I just like when that guy takes a bite of the bell pepper.

Goldy--
    I detest Paula Dean and Rachel Ray. Okay, Paula Dean isn't as bad as Rachel Ray, but if I could, I'd kill Rachel Ray
    is it the southern accent that kills ya??? hahahaha. Rachel Ray is hubby's dream girl....besides me, of course....but, I don't cook. I think that's all he wants her for....to cook for him.
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

She is so freaking annoying, I don't know how you could possibly stand living with Rachael Ray

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

She is so freaking annoying, I don't know how you could possibly stand living with Rachael Ray
    she is a little hyper. if you dope someone up with benadryl....are they still lucid enough to cook? haha

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    I know. I wanna b!tch slap that hoe.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favourite chefs is Keith Floyd. He used to own and run a little bistro in Bristol a few decades back, and I found him to be a very affable host. One day he told us that he had an idea for taking cooking out of the TV studio and on to the road. He put the idea to some BBC guys (their studios were just a few hundred yards away on the main Whiteladies Road), and he has made many series all around the world. I consider him to be one of the pioneers of this genre.

Keith Floyd

Rick Stein is another favourite of mine, whose speciality is sea food.

UKTV Food: Chefs: Rick Stein
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure noone (except maybe Mindtrap) knows who this is.....Name:  2801419338.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  3.8 KB

but, he had a cooking show in Louisiana and it came on every Sunday morning. We'd watch it while we were eating breakfast before church. He was always really funny, and could measure a perfect tablespoon using the palm of his hand. I'll let Mindtrap name him (and rep if he does).

There was also a Frank...somebody on the New Orleans news that I used to love to watch as a kid...he had a little cartoon crab "pet", named Dookie..that would run across the screen holding signs that said funny things. He was great.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

I've only recently started watching cooking shows. I've loved grilling and cooking for a long time now, but used to find cooking shows boring, I'd learn firsthand, usually from someone else or from a book.

Perhaps the worst that I've seen thus far, is Emeril. Now he does make some tasty dishes, but the entire show is like a frickin' "talk show", complete with a band, about 100 commercial breaks in an hour, and constant jabbering. The actually cooking and learning part could be reduced to a 30 minute show, easy.

I want the cooking, tips, recipes, tricks, etc... not a talk show. I absolutely detest Emeril Live.

I've only seen some of the others you've mentioned a couple times. I've recorded about 3 of them thus far, but I couldn't tell you what they are at the top of my head.

Now, I could recommend some great books on grilling and cooking...but shows? I'm still a n00b.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Emeril is horrible.

Good Eats is great.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

I've watched a couple episodes of each now, except for Ming (who be dat?) and Emeril (which I won't watch).

Thus far, I really like Good Eats. The science part is cool, and he's pretty funny as well. My 7 yr old enjoys watching him with me. Just recorded the one about pretzels...I hope to make those in a week or so.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Apok, Bobby Flay is supposed to be the grilling guru on food network.. I don't think his grilling show is still airing at this point..but he has some pretty decent recipes on their website.

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

TV : Boy Meets Grill : Bobby Flay's recipe collection : Food Network
    Last edited by Jamie; January 4th, 2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

He has a couple shows on the FDNetwork (HD at least). I've recorded one of them that looks great (Hawaiian style lobster). I've only seen him once or twice...so the jury is still out. He seems like a "down to business" cook though, which I like.

I used to watch "Licensed to Grill"...but I don't know who the guy is or what channel it was on. I've not seen it in while though.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast