Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: How many guns do you own?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How many guns do you own?

Out of curiousity, I'd like to see how many guns each of us own as well as who does and doesn't own firearms. I'm refering to working firearms, not antiques. What's your stance on gun control? Should the government even impose regulations of firearms? Should only handguns and automatics have regulations? Should automatics be regulated at all? Opinions?
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many guns do you own?

No one owns any guns here because Spartacus owns them all.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure some of other right-wing friends have a couple M16s under their beds.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Thanks / Like

What's your stance on gun control? Should the government even impose regulations of firearms? Should only handguns and automatics have regulations? Should automatics be regulated at all? Opinions?
    We don't own any guns, and I don't want to own one. My husband has been lobbying for one since before we even got married. I think guns to need to be regulated; there are just too many sets of "wrong hands" out there. I don't believe that any private citizen should be allowed to own automatic weapons whatsoever--where's the practicality?
    Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.--Voltaire

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one in a safe (it's my dad's) for "just in case" scenarios. I also own a working pistol crossbow that, although Spart may criticise me for only being 50lb, is still capable of killing with a shot to the head or sensitive organ.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Post Thanks / Like

for "just in case" scenarios
    My husband's entire case is the "just in case scenarios". I can see his point, but I've told him I could never live with him knowing that he'd taken someone else's life, regardless of the reason. Now he's calling me a hypocrite because I've finally decided to go into the law enforcement field (I've wanted to for a long time but never quite had the will to go to school that much--until recently...); guns are inescapable there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus
    Out of curiousity, I'd like to see how many guns each of us own as well as who does and doesn't own firearms. I'm refering to working firearms, not antiques. What's your stance on gun control? Should the government even impose regulations of firearms? Should only handguns and automatics have regulations? Should automatics be regulated at all? Opinions?
    Neither my parents or I own a gun. My dad wasn't brought up in a family that hunted, and I haven't been either. I've never fired a gun either. I don't have anything against people who own firearms. We are guaranteed the right to have guns under the 2nd Amendment. Some people need a gun to protect themselves. Others use them to hunt. I do think, though, that no civilian has the need for an assault rifle. Pistols for self-defense and rifles for hunting are sufficient. Leave the machine guns to the SWAT teams and military.

Post Thanks / Like

Well as long as we're talking about the second amendment, this is where I get conservative. I think the way guns are is completely fine now. And I believe, at the time the Bill of Rights was written, the 2nd Amendment was ment to protect citizens from the government. Sound farfetched? Not really. If citizens have guns, and then the government decides to practice coercion, the citizens can fight to keep freedom free. And with the ever lessening of freedom, I think that the 2nd Amendment is a nessesity that we must keep unencumbered.
    "The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labour. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent." 1984, By George Orwell. Part 2: Chapter 9.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

nope, our family owns no guns. Just a sword that has a broken handle

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

we have a paintball Gun....WE ARE DOOMED!!!!

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

How many guns do I own?....,..enough!.............:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

Post Thanks / Like

I have quite a few, maybe 16, I actually don't know. I guess I should take an inventory. One is a modern handgun, but the rest are military collectibles. All but one of them fire, an 1888 Mauser. I guess it fires, but I'm going to test it with modern ammo. But even my pistol is a Czech CZ85, which is uncommon in the US, so sort of a collectible.
    Just another hostile non-theist.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KneeLess
    And I believe, at the time the Bill of Rights was written, the 2nd Amendment was ment to protect citizens from the government.
    I think the entire bill of rights was intended to protect citizens from the government.

But its interesting to read the 2nd amendment - what is your interpretation of "a well-regulated militia"?
    Its turtles, all the way down.

Post Thanks / Like

Noone in my family owns a gun, except for my uncle. Hunting is one of his hobbies, and I remember how as a little kid, he let me carry one of his rifles around the house(unloaded, he checked three times) though I've never fired it. I also remember the first time he fired a rifle in front of me, was out of the window of our car while it was moving at about 50 mph. He was going for a rabbit about 100 feet away, but all he managed was to scare it away. He later tried the same stunt again, but only managed to severely bruise his chin from the recoil, after the car hit a bump on the road.
    By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
    Socrates
    A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.
    Bob Hope

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

About two million. I entrust them to HM Armed Forces and the UK police authorities. If I want to personally shoot, I go out for the day with a farming friend, or join a gun club. It cuts down on accidents or the use of firearms to settle an arguement, or a moment of road rage.

ps. Shooting at moving targets while you are on the move requires great skill, luck or a complex set of gyros, optics and computers, like on your Abrams 2.

pps. The longest range first off hits by trad. type gunnery on the move, against a moving target was in the Mediterranean Sea. HMS Warspite (15in. guns) at about 26,000 yds. onto an Italian heavy cruiser (8in. guns), their battleships had already scarpered.
    Last edited by FruitandNut; July 29th, 2004 at 02:47 AM.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've told him I could never live with him knowing that he'd taken someone else's life, regardless of the reason.
    Your husband is right, you are being hypocritical. You could not live with him if he shot and killed an armed intruder in your home? If he shot and killed someone that was about to do that to him for no reason? Unless you was to become enlightened as to the realities of life, I would not want you to be on my local police force.

I think the entire bill of rights was intended to protect citizens from the government.
    You think? The second amendment's primary purpose was and still is to uphold the simple and pragmatic notion that all people have a right to protect themselves (even to the point of lethal consenquences) when faced with that danger, even if that danger is coming from our own government. It is also a constitutional duty to forceably remove any sitting government that does not uphold the constitution.

But its interesting to read the 2nd amendment - what is your interpretation of "a well-regulated militia"?
    At the time a well-regulated militia were everyday citizens and their firearms along with a duty to come to the call of defense of our country. Every citizen (males) was expected to keep their firearms in good condition and be well versed on how to fire them with accuracy.

Now, over 200 years later, the government, (and many sheep-like citizens who believe what the anti-gun people tell them) wants to interpet the 2nd amendment to mean that only government soldiers and law enforcement and that the right to protect one's self to be limited to one's home and not as they go about their daily business. Supposedly our police force is out and about to protect us, but of course they cannot and indeed rarely arrive as a deadly crime is being committed. To allow the government and the sheeps that follow blindly to dis-arm citizens as they go about their own business outside their homes is absolute lunacy. But then many of our laws fly right into the face of logic................................:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberclown
    Your husband is right, you are being hypocritical. You could not live with him if he shot and killed an armed intruder in your home? If he shot and killed someone that was about to do that to him for no reason? Unless you was to become enlightened as to the realities of life, I would not want you to be on my local police force.
    Unlikely. The police force in my country rarely uses firearms and would use bean bags or incapitating techniques instead if they had to. A police officer here has to fill out a 2-page (I don't know the exact length, but I've been told it's long) report every time they take their pistol out of their holster. Canadian cops do no take home their guns. They leave them at the police station until they start work again. A police officer is unable to remove his or her firearm unless they see someone in lethal harm or they themselves are in lethal harm. They have to fill out a report no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberClown
    You think? The second amendment's primary purpose was and still is to uphold the simple and pragmatic notion that all people have a right to protect themselves (even to the point of lethal consenquences) when faced with that danger, even if that danger is coming from our own government. It is also a constitutional duty to forceably remove any sitting government that does not uphold the constitution.
    Your second amendment that the NRA just love to wave around was written over 200 years ago. It has no place in a modern society. It was written during the revolution when it was a true possibility that someone would come onto your property with a squad of ten men carrying muskets. It isn't a reality anymore.

Do you not see the reprecusions of having a gun in every home? People are not good-natured God-loving Christian right-wingers. The average person cannot be trusted. If you give the average person a gun they are going to hurt someone. They are going to create another Columbine. They are going to go to work and shoot their boss in the forehead. Guns need to be controlled and only those that know how to handle them and can be trusted to handle them should have them. You need laws in place to not allow a mass murderer to get out of jail and pick up a Thompson and shoot up a building the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus
    Do you not see the reprecusions of having a gun in every home? People are not good-natured God-loving Christian right-wingers. The average person cannot be trusted. If you give the average person a gun they are going to hurt someone. They are going to create another Columbine. They are going to go to work and shoot their boss in the forehead. Guns need to be controlled and only those that know how to handle them and can be trusted to handle them should have them. You need laws in place to not allow a mass murderer to get out of jail and pick up a Thompson and shoot up a building the next day.
    I haven't shot anyone yet.
    Anyone else here?
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fyshhed
    I haven't shot anyone yet.
    Anyone else here?
    Well, they won't keep still. And my sights are off.
    Just another hostile non-theist.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you was to become enlightened as to the realities of life, I would not want you to be on my local police force.
    Further enlightened, I can handle. I haven't the slightest misconception about being in the law enforcement field. I live in a place where cops seem to kill people for the fun of it! And, for the record, I have no intention of becoming a police officer.

But I still disagree with my husband. In most instances, police (even though that's not my intended career path at this point) are not trained to kill. Of course, they know how, I'm not disputing that. Unless they are in undeniable danger of losing their life, they are trained to "shoot to disable". I've known many officers in my life, and this is one common part of their job. Whether I must work with a gun or not, that in no way means I need to have one in my home. Some people would argue that my children are reason enough to have one in the home; I prefer them being the reason to NOT have one. As is stands, I will not even allow my children to play in a home where I know a gun is present. I value my children too much. And I am inclined to agree with Atticus on the 2nd Amendment altogether. Many parts of the Constitution are outdated and unfit for today's society. I do believe that people need a means by which to protect themselves, but I just don't see why guns are the only way. During one of our conversations, I asked my husband what good an unloaded gun would do in the event someone were to break into our home. (I guess you'd really have to see the layout of our home--which is an apartment at this point) If someone were able to get through the front door, the first thing they'll see is our living room, followed by the master bedroom. Time won't allow us to get up, unlock the gun, load it, and whatnot. So where's the use? Mind you, leaving it unlocked is not an option, and neither is leaving it loaded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast