Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

The Best Animated Shows From Childhood

Batman: The Animated Series

This is Batman inspired both by Tim Burton's goth style, and the troubled individual of the original detective stories.
    Unlike in the comic, where Mr.Freeze is a gimmick character, in TAS he was a tortured soul. Both full of hatred for the ice that had claimed him from the world, and love that it freed his heart, vowing revenge on the world that had destroyed his love. Perhaps even more touching were Mr.Freeze's ruminations on immortality after he has his head surgically removed so he might live forever. Weighty issues indeed.
    A string of characters where invented for the show that ultimately became incorporated into the comic, perhaps most famously Hareleqiun.
    Another TAS retocuh was the tragic story of two-face, who Batman failed to save, and throughout the rest of the series would torture Batman with pleas of mercy and salvation from his still-sane half.

Both a high standard for WB animation and a brilliant interpreation of the Batman mythos

Mighty Max

Although little known at the time, this show was famous for its willingness to frighten its core demographic. Characters die, kill, and suffer horrible fates quite frequently. Although not as emotionally or morally complex as TAS, this was a very high quality of animated drama.

Freakazoid and Pinky/Brain

Unlike Animanics, these two spinoffs are still fresh after a full decade. From one-liners in Freakazoid like the announcer taking a break during an intense action sequence to say "This just in, I love you. That is all" to a random injection of a character named "Larry" quite conspiciously into Pinky and Brain's lives. These are shows you can watch with young people today and they are just as hysterical.

Opinions!?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Best Animated Shows From Childhood

Smurfs!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

"What are we going to do today Brain?"

"Today Pinky...we are going to take over the world!"

I loved that show as a kid.
    Catch22

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Dick Tracy.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Based on your avatar TF, I must admit I'm somewhat surprised to not find the venerable Clone High on your list.
    Catch22

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Though I'm a tad embarrassed, I used to love Pokemon. It was pretty awesome, I'd watch it on TV then go across the street and play it with my friends, that sort of thing (much cooler than the card games based on a shows about card games, that's just lame ). Now it's all stupid though, they just keep adding more and more unnecessary monsters. But, eh, whatever keeps the kids coming, right?

I'm much too cool for them now...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot believe someone actually remembers FREAKAZOID! "I want a cup of coffee and a can of hash"

I love that show, it was one of my favorites. The WB had some GREAT cartoons back in the early-mid 90s.

Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Batman, and Pinky and The Brain, and many spoofs that spawned from those.

I am going to have to add some of the older cartoons though as well.

Tom and Jerry, and The Loony Toons gang.

I would also like to add...

Back when Cartoon Network first came out, it only played the old cartoons.

Slowly it came up with its own.

Some of the good ones:

Johnny Bravo

Cow and Chicken

Nick also had some good ones:

Rocos Modern Life

Ah! Real Monsters

Doug

Hey Arnold

Some of the newer cartoons that have come out are alright. But I still tune into cartoon network every afternoon for my daily dose of Tom and Jerry.
    Witty puns...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

My choices will include:-

Tom and Jerry.

Bart Simpson.

Pinky and the Brain.

Johnny Bravo.

Basically anything that can make me laugh.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm TOTALLY with Catch.....The Animaniacs were freakin AWESOME!!!! NARF!!!!

and I LOVED Goodfeathers. Heehee.

and with Fati's ....I have a sad confession. I liked and watched Pokemon before it was big....in fact, I actually had to search for Pokemon merchandise. Now, this was my senior year in high school. (yes, I watched cartoons then...better than the stupid soap operas other girls my age were watching) Here;s the confession....I was wearing a Pikachu shirt when my husband proposed. Yes, it's true. I had spent the day out with our youth group...and I was only 19......anyway.

Johnny Bravo!! Woohaahee--I'm Pretty!
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Thanks / Like

Oh nostalgia! LOL...Freakazoid...Pinky and the Brain....I almost forgot about those!

Some of my favourites:

-The Care Bears
    -Teddy Ruxpin
    - My Little Pony
    - The Smurfs
    - Fraggle Rock
    - The Wuzzles
    - Mighty Mouse

And I LIVE for Loony Tune reruns on Teletoon!
    My brain is trying to kill me...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatuitous View Post
    Though I'm a tad embarrassed, I used to love Pokemon. It was pretty awesome, I'd watch it on TV then go across the street and play it with my friends, that sort of thing (much cooler than the card games based on a shows about card games, that's just lame ). Now it's all stupid though, they just keep adding more and more unnecessary monsters. But, eh, whatever keeps the kids coming, right?

I'm much too cool for them now...
    I have my own confession...I wasn't a Pokemon guy, but that Yu-Gi-Oh show...I loved it. It was always so formulaic and repetitive, but...it was so cool
    Catch22

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I have my own confession...I wasn't a Pokemon guy, but that Yu-Gi-Oh show...I loved it. It was always so formulaic and repetitive, but...it was so cool
    We all have our vices... I feel for you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Batman was indeed my favourite cartoon when I was young - it even inspired me to draw a few childish Batman comics of my own. I loved its haunting soundtrack.
    Trendem

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

*cracks knuckles*

RIGHT. 1980's REPRESENT!

ROBOTECH

A three season show that actually had one continuous storyline. Sure, it was cheesy (even Batman had it's moments), but it proved that kids are smart enough to follow a story that didn't wrap up in less than 30 minutes. It also had giant transforming robots that fought each other.

Robotech is by far the coolest, but while we're speaking of transforming robots:

What else need we say?

Thundercats

I thought it was really cool when I was in elementary school. Really, the show was all about Mumm-ra. How cool was he?

Then there were all the other cartoons that apparently only I remember.

There was Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors... a very trippy and bizarre Star Wars rip off:

(incidentally, the Lightning League = clones of the good guys in the first Star Wars film. )

Moving on...

Four words: Who ya gonna call?

Then there was the Galaxy Rangers that was influenced by Japanese animation and was one of the first cartoons to use computer animation:

On a lighter side, there was Danger Mouse.

Here's a compilation of about six or seven others I haven't mentioned:

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

okay, Zhav...I HAVE to hand it to you....I forgot about Ghostbusters. But, I NEVER missed it as a kid. LOVED that show.

If we're going back to the 80's...I have to say Rainbowbrite...CareBears...Jem....& Garfield and Friends.
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Thanks / Like

Pinky and the Brain was freaking awesome.

Looney Toons and Tiny Toons were great.

Animaniacs was the best!

Almost forgot Ch-Ch-Ch-Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers!
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who know binary and those who don't.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Voltron, EXO Squad, Smurfs, G.I. Joes, Masters of the Universe, Gummi Bears, TaleSpin, DuckTales, Captain Planet, Captain N...there's a whole lot of Mediocre Animated Shows From Childhood that I can think of, like Biker Mice from Mars, and that one with Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, and Bo Jackson.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

How can you forget Angry Beavers?

Shame to you all!
    "With His dying breath... He saved me, with His wounds... He healed me, with His life... He died for me, although I never met Him, He remembered... me."

+++=][ShadowKnight][=+++

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKnight View Post

Shame to you all!
    oooo. . .I am ashamed. . .I loved that show.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who know binary and those who don't.

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

The Tick
    Superhero absurdism never seemd so awesome. Facing villians like ChairFace Cippandale (a man with a chair for a head) to The Deadly Seed. His rambling monolouges, Arthur's comparative normalcy. The show was gold.
    Not to mention....THAT MUSTASCHE FEELING

the maxx

Based on a comic and originally shown on MTV, I only ever caught glimpses of it late at night. Very nice animation, and logically fanatastic. The Maxx was urbanized decay with frequent trips to Australia. Lol. The never explicitly spoken horror that underwrites the entire show was also a nice touch.

shadow raiders

Like if the Greek elements declared war on each other. Quintessance was called the "Best" and ate the other elements/planets.
    Remarkably fun, strangely involving, and a must for childhood animation. Of course the best part of this was the toys. I had them all. I even had a 2 foot tall "beast" planet that I used to eat the other element worlds.
    Best world of all was, of course, Ice world!

Reboot
    Ahh, the strange pixel! Quite amusing, and quite a pleasent thing to see! The modernly sub-par animation made this show unique, with an art style that would only be lessoned as the techniques and power of computation increased in efficency.
    But its undeniable that this was a fun show. And I still don't get Pong's obsession with Pon...ohhhh. Anyway, winning sense of humor and self-deprecation made this show the king of parody for my youth. EVen if I didn't get some of the jokes.
    Take this guitar-battle between Bob and Megatron, which takes place for no reason whatsoever. But notice the guitar goes to 11

Escape from Horrorland
    Ohhh....this game. Using a combination of pre-recorded video, pre-rendered graphics, and photos, this video game had near-life like graphics. In many ways the most deliciously gothic thing I have ever seen. Back in '96 it was breathtaking. The werewolf chase through the woods half-way through the game is perhaps the single greatest video game event I've ever experienced.
    And this coming from a guy who's played System Shock 2.

Now for some shows that reflect my distinctly french-Canadian heritage lol.

Robert the Bear

Rubert the Bear followed the adventures of the titular bear as he explored his world, doing what he thought was right. The best part of the show was the extrapolations taken with daily events. For instance, Mr.Frost is a member of a race of beings who's job it is to go around and "turn on" winter. The rain is maintianed by a vast network of "sky-castles" that drop buckets of rain down on people.
    The best and most lasting part of this show was the sense of excited expetctation it gave me as a kid. I remember thinking if I opened the right door, an entire world I'd never imagined would be revealed. Its quite a let down to realize this isn't true, but its still an awesome show to look back on fondly.

Short Circutz
    To this day I have no idea why YTV decided to run these 1-2 mintue shorts from a little-known french company. But they were bizarre and awesome. Taking the same technology that producd reboot, these shorts threw out the connective threads and the logic and just went crazy. In lieu of advertisments, I watched these things as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKnight View Post

Shame to you all!
    Never really enjoyed the show!

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    DuckTales
    YES!
    That and X-men when I was like 3-4
    Last edited by Turtleflipper; January 4th, 2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast