Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I've been given a "timeout"

centered and balanced in all things... except a minor compulsion to have the last word.
    Post Thanks / Like

Earth... Sentient metaphysical being or moldy rock falling through a cold vacume

Some among us it seem, consider the Earth to be alive... possessing a soul.

Anyone care to join that or discuss it's viability?

I will start off by advancing only a vote... Earth: Falling moldy rock.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Earth... Sentient metaphysical being or moldy rock falling through a cold vacume

Who on earth is saying that the earth has a soul? That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard.
    "What's so wrong about mentioning how attractive she is? That said, i don't think "Begin East Euro Fap" is an appropriate way to say shes attractive."

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Earth... Sentient metaphysical being or moldy rock falling through a cold vacume

Woah! I agree with PI! Its def a lifeless object.
    Catch22

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that this planet is a hunk of precious rock floating around an unremarkable star amongst a hundred billion other stars in an unremarkable galaxy amongst a hundred billion other galaxies.

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    I agree that this planet is a hunk of precious rock floating around an unremarkable star amongst a hundred billion other stars in an unremarkable galaxy amongst a hundred billion other galaxies.
    Extremophiles can live at previously unbelievable temperatures, acidities, pressures. Earth may have more life (bacterial) below its surface then above it. Its a fascinating concept, and perhaps somewhat validates the whole "earth is alive" stuff.

Extreme Bacteria in the Earth's Crust - The Naked Scientists January 2007
    He got bacteria from 2.8 miles down!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

What standard are you applying that brings you to the conclusion that our galaxy is "unremarkable"?
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Dio - 'Our' galaxy is hardly unremarkable, since it contains the only planet with any kind of complex life that we are aware of. Life based on carbon and oxygen requires a very narrow/precise set of circumstances. At the very least, 'our' galaxy is one amongst (relatively speaking) a few that are among very many 'less remarkable' ones.

Earth: The Power of the Planet

Dr Iain Stewart tells the story of how Earth works and how, over the course of 4.6 billion years, it came to be the remarkable place it is today.
    BBC - Science & Nature - Earth: The Power of the Planet

{We discover how a devastating cosmic impact blasted a huge chunk of Earth into space to form the Moon, how Earth nearly froze to death when it was completely encased in ice for millions of years, and how Earth's remarkable heat engine, its molten core, saved the day.

Earth has been able to sustain complex life thanks to an extraordinary number of lucky breaks and coincidences.

Personally I find the whole universe to be very remarkable. If as appears, the universe is facing irreversable (under the laws of physics) entropy in approx 1,000 billion years, it begs a whole question about the integrity and nature of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics; and therefore even time and existence.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be too nit-picky, F&N...

1) Out of billions (possibly trillions, or even possibly billions of trillions) of possiblities, how it so hard to believe that there aren't other similar carbon based life forms out there?

2) How can you think that the whole universe is remarkable when you can't know (or quite possibly even conceive of) the universe as a whole?

Other than that, I agree, the set of circumstances that created the life we have on this planet are pretty remarkable.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

In utter and endless vanity. Humbleness, oh how I miss thee.
    Post Thanks / Like

Shall we start colonizing the universe then? We humans must spread our seed...
    We were laughing at the stars while our feet clung tight to the ground.
    So pleased with ourselves for using so many verbs and nouns.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

You conservatives kill me.

Earth having a soul? Silly.

Human beings descending from dirt/rib, dirt/rib people who are made out of the same stuff as the planet having a soul, a cosmic jew infusing everything at once, telepathic communicating desires to said Jew...

... all perfectly reasonable.

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

Zhavric,

Mind actually telling anyone here how conservatism has anything to do with this thread? You're the only one who brought up conservatism.

As to the actual point of this thread--Earth is just a rock in a vacuum that happens to be inside a habitable zone based on the distance it is from the sun. Still it's not unremarkable. Even with the billions and billions of other solar systems out there, it's probably pretty rare still.
    -= Phrique =-

I've got mad hits like I was Rod Carew.
    - The Beastie Boys

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Publius Infini View Post
    Some among us it seem, consider the Earth to be alive... possessing a soul.

Anyone care to join that or discuss it's viability?

I will start off by advancing only a vote... Earth: Falling moldy rock.
    The earth may very well have a soul. Where is it falling to and how did it get moldy?
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

There are beliefs that the Earth itself is a living being:

Neopaganism

The Mother Goddess, amalgamated and combined with various feminine figures from world cultures of both the past and present, is worshipped by modern Wiccans and others (see Triple Goddess). The mother goddess is usually viewed as Mother Earth by these groups.

Wiccans and other Neo-Pagans worship the Mother Goddess. Most commonly she is worshiped as a Triple Goddess; usually envisioned as the Maiden, Mother, and Crone archetypes. She is associated with the full moon and with Earth. Many ancient Pagan religions had mother goddesses; it has been argued that the figure of Mary the mother of Jesus is patterned on these.

Even among those who are not Pagan, expressions such as Mother Earth and Mother Nature are in common usage, personifying the Earth's ecology as a fertile and sustaining mother.

[edit] Earth Mother

The Earth Mother is a motif that appears in many mythologies. The Earth Mother is a fertile goddess embodying the fertile earth and typically the mother of other deities, and so, also are seen as patronesses of motherhood. This is generally thought of as being because the earth was seen as being the mother from whom all life sprang.

The Rigveda calls the Female power, Mahimata (R.V. 1.164.33), a term which literally means Mother Earth.

Mother goddess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I like the Gaia belief that the whole thing is an interconnected system that is ultimately self correcting...

Bottom line, a rock in space, but a very complicated one.

As to the uniqueness of our universe.... Well, we hardly know if life is unique or not in our own solar system, much less the universe. Too early to call that one, I say.
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phrique View Post
    Zhavric,

Mind actually telling anyone here how conservatism has anything to do with this thread? You're the only one who brought up conservatism.
    Nope. I'm going to leave my post just as it is.

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

Ok then, I Challenge to support a claim. you to support your assertion that Conservatism has anything to do with this discussion since you're the one who brought it into the debate. Support your assertion or retract it.
    -= Phrique =-

- The Beastie Boys

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phrique View Post
    Ok then, I Challenge to support a claim. you to support your assertion that Conservatism has anything to do with this discussion since you're the one who brought it into the debate. Support your assertion or retract it.
    Phrique, as much as I love tearing into conservatives, I'm going to politely tell you to drop it. I find this lightweight vendetta you have against me unhealthy for positive debate.

Besides, we both know how that debate goes, don't we? I point out that conservatives love boasting how christians are the majority and point out how terrible it is that you fixated on that part of my post and ignored the bit about rib-women... Then you'll come back with some cop out about how rib-woman aren't really rib-women, but figurative stories about rib women (that aren't really stories...). I'll point out that you're using double standards... before you know it, the thread will be off-topic. Majorly off-topic.

I commend your use of the "challenge" feature. I would have capitalized it, but I suppose I can agree to disagree with you.

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Zhav, that you think Phrique has a vendetta against you in wholly irrelevant to this topic. If you're implying that such a vendetta is being expressed with his moderation, that's an issue you should be taking up in private, not in this thread.

On a non-mod note, you did, indeed, bring the idea of conservatism having anything to do with this thread into the debate. I don't see where it does. Theism does have something to do with this thread, as it is theists who maintain that anything has a soul, but those theism and conservatism are not mutually inclusive. In fact, such conservative theists that insist that anything has a soul have already denied that the earth might actually have a soul.

As such, I second Phrique's challenge that you explain how conservatism has anything to do with the topic at hand.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

Zhavric,

Don't try to obfuscate the discussion by attempting to avoid the fact that you brought up conservatism in a thread entirely unconcerned with conservatism. If you see some connection then support it and then I'll let it drop if I find myself in agreement with you.

Answer the challenge or retract.
    -= Phrique =-

- The Beastie Boys

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phrique
    Answer the challenge or retract.
    No.

You started this thing in this thread rather than in private message, so I'm ending it. Accept that you can't bully members into posting the way you want them to post. Take the positive rep. Consider it an olive branch.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleflipper View Post
    Extremophiles can live at previously unbelievable temperatures, acidities, pressures. Earth may have more life (bacterial) below its surface then above it. Its a fascinating concept, and perhaps somewhat validates the whole "earth is alive" stuff.

Extreme Bacteria in the Earth's Crust - The Naked Scientists January 2007
    He got bacteria from 2.8 miles down!
    Challenge to support a claim.

In light of recent posts, I think we all need to hear how extremophiles have anything to do with the planet's soul (or lack there of), don't you, Phrique?

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the TOPIC, I think that if anyone does think the earth has a soul, they sure as hell aren't going to even try to say they do in this thread, because they will be laughed out.
    "What's so wrong about mentioning how attractive she is? That said, i don't think "Begin East Euro Fap" is an appropriate way to say shes attractive."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast