Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

latentorganiza

Question Sex with the Mentally Challenged

I met a girl at a club and she is obviously mentally challenged. Was it wrong to have sex even though she consented? I wasn't trying to take advantage of her any more than she was trying to take advantage of me. She only had two drinks (that's what she said).
    I mean, she was dancing and flirting with me, should I have treated her different just because she's different? Is she off limits to man kind or something?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sex with the Mentally Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by latentorganiza View Post
    I met a girl at a club and she is obviously mentally challenged. Was it wrong to have sex even though she consented? I wasn't trying to take advantage of her any more than she was trying to take advantage of me. She only had two drinks (that's what she said).
    I mean, she was dancing and flirting with me, should I have treated her different just because she's different? Is she off limits to man kind or something?

Well, it will depend on what exactly you mean with "mentally challenged"?

Let us look at the definition of "mentally challenged", shall we?

Developmental disability is a term used to describe life-long disabilities attributable to mental and/or physical or combination of mental and physical impairments, manifested prior to age twenty-two. The term is used most commonly in the United States to refer to disabilities affecting daily functioning in three or more of the following areas:

capacity for independent living
    economic self-sufficiency
    learning
    mobility
    receptive and expressive language
    self-care
    self-direction
    Usually people with mental retardation, cerebral palsy, autism spectrum disorder, various genetic and chromosomal disorders such as Down syndrome and Fragile X syndrome, and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder are described as having developmental disabilities. This use of the term is synonymous with the use of the term learning disability in the United Kingdom (however not in the United States) and intellectual disability in Australia, Europe, Canada and elsewhere. Cognitive disability is also used synonymously in some jurisdictions.

Developmental disabilities are usually classified as severe, profound, moderate or mild, as assessed by the individual's need for supports, which may be lifelong.

Source url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentally_challenged

You need to indicate her level of mental retardation. Was she severe, profound, moderate or mild mentally challenged?

Now according to what you say, the following is evident:-

1. She was dancing and flirting with you.
    2. She was probably left unattended by her parents because they feel that she can think for herself.
    3. She had something to drink....
    4. She gave her consent.

Now all the things she did, and I take your word for it, does not seem to be evident of someone who is severely mentally challenged.

She must have some level of understanding of what sex is, to even give her consent to participate in it.

Why if she is so mentally challenged, is she not chaperoned by her parents?

I do however hope you both was not too "mentally challenged" during the course of the event, not to think of having safe sex.....what if you make her pregnant?
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sex with the Mentally Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by latentorganiza View Post
    I met a girl at a club and she is obviously mentally challenged.
    How do you know she was mentally challenged? And what level of mental retardation are we talking about?
    Was it wrong to have sex even though she consented?
    I don't know yet

I wasn't trying to take advantage of her any more than she was trying to take advantage of me. She only had two drinks (that's what she said).
    The severaly and even moderate mentally challenged people I have seen do not drink in public with out chaperons. But that's just what I've seen, not saying it doesn't happen.

I mean, she was dancing and flirting with me, should I have treated her different just because she's different?
    No you should not treat her different because she is human just like you are. Would you treat a diabetic differently? She has an illness just a diabetic has an illness, the two just affects different parts of the body.

Is she off limits to man kind or something?
    If she is able to consent and KNOWS what she is saying then no.

I agree with what Aspo stated, she was left unattended, had alcohol, danced and flirted with you, she obviously was not severely mentally retarded.
    Show me the government that does not infringe upon anyone's rights, and I will no longer call myself an anarchist.~Jacob Halbrooks
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.~Benjamin Franklin
    "Go big or Go home"~ LoLo Bean