Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 10 Most Important Decisions in One's Life

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu Moo View Post
    Would the things I mentioned above address what you've expressed there? My position is that even though a spiritual path may find a person, you still have the freedom to react to that in some fashion. So to me, that spells a very important decision to make.
    I view a spiritual path as the path of no choice, so I'm not sure if what you said really resonates with my thoughts on it. With a spiritual path, you are presented with the ideas of the path and due to the experiences you've had in life, the spiritual path...chooses you. It's not like I can say, "Okay, I have some choices here. Jesus seems like a pretty great guy. But then again, so does Buddha. Hmm...coin toss."

Also, we tend to choose a spiritual path of ideas which we already believe to be true. It's not like I can say, "Okay, I'm going to try really, really hard to choose to believe that Satan is an actual entity with pointy horns and a pitchfork." *strains brain and hurts self* It just doesn't work for me that way.

I guess in all things there is some degree of choice. We form our beliefs based on pieces of a puzzle that fit into place for us. But ultimately, I do not view choosing a spiritual path as one of life's major decisions I made, because I believe that path, which is forever evolving, chose me.

Oh, and thanks for appreciating me. I miss being here more often. But...life's big decisions seem to never stop calling on me these days. lol.
    Souls of the animal kingdom: eagle, fox, bottle-nose dolphin, octopus, house cat. Okay, let's jump this jump. -- Rod Kimble

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

What do you consider to be the ten most important decisions that a person will generally make in his or her life? (in no particular order) Also, give any reasoning for each.
    1. The decision to marry/commit to one individual and the choice in that individual.
    2. The decision to have children.
    3. The choice of friends.
    4. The choice of emotional proximity to family.
    5. The choice of career path.
    6. The choice of health influencing lifestyle decisions (exercise/eating/etc.)
    7. The choice of spirituality/religion.
    8. The choice of location.
    9. The choice of hobbies/activities.
    10. The choice of fiscal direction.

I think those are probably the most important. I'd say the top two are the top two for a reason--they came to me first and I think they're probably the two most important, with the second probably being the single most important decision someone makes (more so than spouse/significant other, even).

Spirituality/Religion is highly important in our identities, even for those who would identify themselves as atheist/agnostic, it's still pretty important at least to our own image of ourselves.

Fiscal responsibility/direction is important in that it likely influences all of our other decisions in life. Not a single one of the other choices there are outside the influence of our fiscal situation, and how we spend money, how we save money, etc. is a choice we all make.
    -= Phrique =-

I've got mad hits like I was Rod Carew.
    - The Beastie Boys

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

1. What's your vocation going to be?
    2. How educated do you want to be?
    3. Do you want to get married?
    4. Do you want kids?
    5. What's your hobby that keeps you sane?
    6. Where do you want to live?
    7. What is your religion going to be?
    8. How do you want to live your life? (smoking, fatty foods, exercising)
    9. Who are your friends going to be?
    10. What's your favorite drink? (Very important. =P )
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me curious if anyone here thinks the decision of whether to follow a spiritual path or not is one of the key decisions in one's life. Socialgremlin alluded to analyzing one's beliefs, but stopped short of suggesting the notion of a spiritual path.
    I found my spirituality when I was in 7th grade. It pretty much knocked me right upside the head one night.

I don't necessarily know what my "path" is but I find that whenever I start off in the wrong direction or start straying from my spirituality, I get a rude awakening that I must be kidding myself to think I can try and live through this life on my own, without God's assistance. In fact, I depend upon it to be able to accomplish all of my other important decisions being....

1. To teach my son to grow up to be happy, confident, strong and independent, and smart enough to know when to be dependent and most importantly who to be dependent upon when life's struggles sneak up on him.

2. To give the man in my life happiness, complete satisfaction, and contentment in the decision he has made in choosing to spend whatever time God has blessed him with me, and me with him.

3. To keep myself mentally and physically strong and healthy with whatever resources I have in order to keep up my confidence, happiness, strength and independence in order to achieve being able to accomplish the above number 1 and 2.

4. To NEVER fail somebody's trust in me. I've had my trust in somebody else squashed like a bug on a number of occasions throughout my life and I don't like how it feels so I've made the decision some time ago that I would never do that to people I care about. If a friend confides in me, I'll take it to my grave.

5. To not let others' negativity affect me. It used to be that I would be so concerned on how others' felt about me or thought about me. I've decided that it's what I feel about myself and what those that are genuine in my life feel about me, that's most important and everyone else's negative feelings are theirs to own, not mine. I have gotten to a point in my life where I sincerely could give a f*ck if someone likes me or not. Honestly. Got negative things you want to throw at me.....BRING IT.

Those are the five most important things in my life. I know you've asked for ten but beyond the five, I'd have to actually stop and think about them.
    Hyde and Sylouette
    Married
    June 30, 2012

ODN Community Regular

Palace of Kubla Khan and bovine worshippers
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    But not to the extent that one can suddenly choose to reverse a core belief...
    By being in denial, one could still achieve the same effect though, correct?
    anything could be an illusion and we wouldn't know the difference... proof schmoof...

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

By being in denial, one could still achieve the same effect though, correct?
    Right, so the question is whether or not the person experiencing the effect is in denial, which further raises the question of whether or not a person can suddenly choose to not be in denial.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix View Post
    10. What's your favorite drink? (Very important. =P )
    You can tell so much by a persons favorite drink, breed of dog (pet's in general) and nail color..Everything else can be deceiving.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Boilermaker (preferably a European beer and a good bourbon, though I'm not too picky at all about my whisky), black labs, and that is non-existent for me.

=P
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    You can tell so much by a persons favorite drink, breed of dog (pet's in general) and nail color..Everything else can be deceiving.
    Screwdriver... I'm a cat person who prefers large, fluffy cats with a penchant for hunting down birds and mice... and either natural, or black if I'm feeling "gothy." What's that tell you about me?
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
    ~Carl Gustav Jung
    "When dealing with the insane, the best method is to pretend to be sane."
    ~Hermann Hesse

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2