Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Should nipple rings be allowed on planes?

I thought this was a strange story. Any opinions?

Traveler says she was forced to remove nipple ring

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- The Transportation Security Administration is investigating an incident last month in which a woman claims she was humiliated and forced to remove her nipple rings -- one with pliers -- as male TSA officers snickered on the other side of a curtain.

The woman, Mandi Hamlin, and her lawyer, celebrity attorney Gloria Allred, want a public apology from the agency, as well as a guarantee that future passengers with piercings will be treated with dignity and respect. The incident in question occurred at the Lubbock, Texas, airport.
    Allred pointed out that TSA's Web site says passengers with piercings can undergo a pat-down inspection if they do not want to take their piercings out -- an option she said Hamlin was never offered.
    "The conduct of TSA was cruel and unnecessary," Allred told reporters at a news conference Friday. "Last time that I checked, a nipple was not a dangerous weapon."
    She said she wants an immediate response to her letter to the TSA demanding an investigation and an apology. If those are not forthcoming, she said, "Mandi is going to have to consider her legal options."
    In a statement issued Friday TSA said it is "actively investigating Ms. Hamlin's allegations to ensure procedures were followed appropriately. ... Our security officers are well-trained to screen individuals with body piercings in sensitive areas with dignity and respect while ensuring a high level of security."
    It added that "incidents of female terrorists hiding explosives in sensitive areas are on the rise all over the world. This scenario must be addressed at our nation's airports."
    The incident occurred February 24, as Hamlin, 37, was preparing to fly to Dallas-Fort Worth from Lubbock, where she had been visiting her elderly great-uncle.
    Hamlin said she also has navel and ear piercings and has never set off a metal detector or been singled out for additional screening at an airport.
    She did not set off the metal detector at Lubbock International Airport, but was pulled to the side for additional screening, Allred said. A hand wand used by a TSA officer beeped when it was waved over her breasts.
    Hamlin told the officer she had nipple piercings, Allred said, and that officer called over another officer, who told her she would need to remove them.
    "Ms. Hamlin did not want to remove her nipple piercings," Allred said, reading from her letter to TSA. "After nipple rings are inserted, the skin can often heal around the piercing and the rings can be extremely difficult and painful to remove. In addition, once removed, the pierced skin may close up almost immediately, making it difficult and painful to reinsert the piercing."
    More officers were called over, and the group grew to four male and two female TSA officers, according to Hamlin. Also, a small crowd of onlookers had started to gather. The officers insisted that Hamlin remove the nipple rings, Allred said.
    "She felt humiliated by the scene that the TSA officers were making," Allred said.
    "With tears streaming down her face, she again asked to show the piercings to a TSA officer instead of having to remove them. She was told, however, she would not be allowed to fly unless she removed them. Had she been told that she had a right to a pat-down, she would have chosen that option."
    She eventually was taken to a private area behind a curtain to remove the piercings, Allred said. One came out easily, but the other would not, and she called to an officer that she was having trouble and would need pliers. She was handed a large pair, Allred said.
    "As Ms. Hamlin struggled to remove the piercing, behind the curtain she could hear a growing number of predominately male TSA officers snickering in the background," Allred said in the letter.
    "Mandi Hamlin was publicly humiliated. ... Clearly, this is not how passengers should be treated."
    Afterward, Hamlin underwent another scan, but realized she had forgotten to remove her navel ring. She offered to remove it, Allred said, but an officer told her it was not necessary because he could see it. Hamlin wondered why a similar visual inspection of her nipple rings would not have sufficed, Allred said.
    "I wouldn't wish this experience upon anyone," Hamlin told reporters. "I felt surprised, embarrassed, humiliated and scared. No one deserves to go through this."
    In response to her complaint, TSA's customer service manager in Lubbock concluded the screening was handled properly, Allred said.
    In its Friday statement, the agency said it "is well aware of terrorists' interest in hiding dangerous items in sensitive areas of the body. Therefore, we have a duty to the American public to resolve any alarm that we discover."
    TSA included in its statement a picture of a prototype training device it will use to simulate a "bra bomb" in training and testing its officers.
    Allred said she is not discounting the importance of security, but called for the agency to follow its own policies in handling passengers with piercings.
    Hamlin said she had to visit the person who originally pierced her nipples to get the rings reinserted, and said the process was excruciatingly painful because of the scar tissue that had formed.
    "People who are pierced should not be snickered at, should not become the object of ridicule, should not be singled out for special and uneven and unequal treatment," Allred said. "They should be respected just like everybody else."
    She said she had received a call from TSA's public affairs office Friday morning. "We hope that means they're going to jump on this and do something about it," she said. "We want TSA to do the right thing now. We're going to give them the opportunity."
    Hamlin said she will continue to fly but will avoid the Lubbock airport. The next time she visits her great-uncle, she said, "I will be driving."
    CNN's Mike Ahlers contributed to this report.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/03/28/nipple.ring/

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

One more thing - they can pat you down for a nipple ring instead of removing it. Can I get that job?
    Last edited by Snoop; March 28th, 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should nipple rings be allowed on planes?

hmm...this whole security to the point of absurdity thing is a bit over board....do not really see the need to remove nipple rings...

But then again,

I do not want security guards that are getting paid 9 dollars an hour to start making judgment calls either.

Post Thanks / Like

From the stories I read about it, it is stated on the TSA websites that piercing of that sort may be asked to be taken out so really, on their side, I don't think they really did anything wrong in that it went along with their guidelines. Although, it does seem such a measure is a bit much in checking people. As was also stated in the article, you can choose to have a pat-down instead but that was not offered to her and probably should've been. It did seem a bit cruel but I'm not really outraged over the incident.

On a side note, the thought of having to rip anything out of my nipple with plyers is very cringe-worthy. Yikes.
    "Deer aren't capable of that kind
    of thinking. All they care about is, "What am I
    going to eat next, who am I going to screw next,
    and can I run fast enough to get away. They are
    very much like the French."

-Ted Nugent in response to a question asked by a French journalist about what he thinks deer are thinking before they're killed.

ODN Community Regular

Palace of Kubla Khan and bovine worshippers
    Post Thanks / Like

The defendant seems to be arguing from the stance that she shouldn't be ridiculed. Is that the extent of the charge?

This is enough to seal the deal for me:
    "incidents of female terrorists hiding explosives in sensitive areas are on the rise all over the world. This scenario must be addressed at our nation's airports."
    It seems more important to protect passengers from explosive devices and potential weapons than to worry about someone's comfort level.

Let's suppose in a completely different scenario that a woman collapsed on the plane and required CPR. The attendants would have ripped her shirt open and exposed her bare body. Would she have later said that they were out of line by exposing her chest, even though it was a potential matter of life and death?

The ridiculing charge is a side issue to divert attention away from the real issue.
    anything could be an illusion and we wouldn't know the difference... proof schmoof...

Post Thanks / Like

"Hello. We'd like you take out your nipple rings because we want to make sure they're not explosive devices that will kill hundreds of people."

"I don't want to."

"Okay. There's the door. Have a nice drive to where ever your destination is."

You waive your right to protection from being searched when you make the decision to board a jet. If you don't like it, then don't fly. Period.

At the same time, the snickering could be an actionable incident. Welcome to America where anyone can sue anyone at any time for any reason.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The woman was 37 and has flown before - she could have been checked and cleared by a computer. I have metal in my mouth that CAN'T be removed - they better not try.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Rules are rules, but they allegedly didn't follow their own guidelines. According to the woman, they never gave her the option to be patted down. They only gave her an option of removing the jewelry. Honestly, do they make people take out earrings, noserings, and the like? This is why more people should stop the nonsense and support profiling.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly they did her a favor...Nipple rings are soooo 1998..
    Anywho, you fly their planes, you follow their rules..I think it's kind of odd,I would be fascinated to learn how many PA's the airlines have removed.. I don't feel she was subjected to anything a few weeks and a drink would not help her to overcome.

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

wow...that would be funny.....a few PA's and JL's being removed.....who would be inspecting that to ensure they were not really bombs?

Not a job I would apply for.....

Probably some 60 year old 315 pound lady with a rough New Yorker accent....just my thought

Post Thanks / Like

Nipple rings or no nipple rings, who cares?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

They could have treated her with a little more dignity. Both sides are guilty.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric View Post
    "Hello. We'd like you take out your nipple rings because we want to make sure they're not explosive devices that will kill hundreds of people."

"I don't want to."

"Okay. There's the door. Have a nice drive to where ever your destination is."

You waive your right to protection from being searched when you make the decision to board a jet. If you don't like it, then don't fly. Period.
    Is that your opinion, or is it official policy? If the latter, please provide the citation(s).

At the same time, the snickering could be an actionable incident. Welcome to America where anyone can sue anyone at any time for any reason.
    Keep in mind that not all lawsuits are created equal.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pat down?

This has been bugging me:
    TSA's Web site says passengers with piercings can undergo a pat-down inspection if they do not want to take their piercings out -- an option she said Hamlin was never offered.
    What is a pat-down going to prove? If you admit to having a nipple ring on, is it allowed or isn't it? If not, then who would agree to or ask for a pat-down and for what reason?

It just seems comical to me ...

TSA Agent: Do you have any body jewelry on?

Passenger: Yes. I have a nipple ring on - you can pat me down if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    What is a pat-down going to prove? If you admit to having a nipple ring on, is it allowed or isn't it? If not, then who would agree to or ask for a pat-down and for what reason?

Can someone please explain the logic behind pat-downs if the ring is going to be removed anyway?
    Last edited by Snoop; March 31st, 2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    They could have treated her with a little more dignity. Both sides are guilty.
    Coooom onnnn! I love nip rings, but seriously. She should be used to strangers touching her boobs. Someone had to put the ring in there, right. Odds are that she had it done by a stranger. The chick is wearing jewelry in her bosom. When someone wears jewelry, isn't it to show off? Would you put an expensive pair of earrings on and then cover them up with ear muffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post

Can someone please explain the logic behind pat-downs if the ring is going to be removed anyway?
    If I were a TSA agent, I would pat down every female passenger under the age of 35 (and over the age of 18)...(well 16 if I were working in a Southern state) as a courtesy to my country. I would give them a real good patting down, too. Naughty little passengers.
    Last edited by Ibelsd; April 10th, 2008 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Post Thanks / Like

That is really dumb. If she objected to their rules and did not want to remove the rings, she could have just left. She wants attention.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Coooom onnnn! I love nip rings, but seriously. She should be used to strangers touching her boobs. Someone had to put the ring in there, right. Odds are that she had it done by a stranger. The chick is wearing jewelry in her bosom. When someone wears jewelry, isn't it to show off? Would you put an expensive pair of earrings on and then cover them up with ear muffs?

Ibe, we all know you like touching boobs and all, but seriously, it does not mean that if a girls wears a nipple ring she likes strangers to touch her boobs. Cooooom onnnnn!

And by the way...will you say this about men having rings on their penises (I think you call it a Prince Albert or something) too? Do you think men wearing those things like to be touched there by strangers? I heard they wear it to give extra pleasure to the women... and they cover it up by the way. Just imagine they put it there to show it off in public.

And no, I don't wear ear muffs, it is not cold enough here.

And by the way, she could have put the nipple ring there herself.... i think.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post

And by the way...will you say this about men having rings on their penises (I think you call it a Prince Albert or something) too? Do you think men wearing those things like to be touched there by strangers?
    Yes, Yes I do.I know a few, and most jump at the chance to show them off. It takes a special sort to decorate their naughty spots.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Yes, Yes I do.I know a few, and most jump at the chance to show them off. It takes a special sort to decorate their naughty spots.

Tinker, you will need to specify here girl...

1. Do they like to be touched there by total strangers?
    2. Do they really do expose this particular body part of theirs' just to show the ring off?

I am sure you are right that it takes a certain kind of man to actually do that, and I can not help but to think it is painfull when it is inserted.

But Ibe clearly feels that when persons wear these things they like to be touched there by strangers, and I doubt if that is really the case. They can easily have such a ring or stud for other personal reasons.

For one, if I wear a nipple ring and a stranger try to touch me there, I will most certainly give him a backhand he will never forget.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The ones I have met, and friends I have with such piercings, it is one of the first things they usually tell people about themselves..I honestly can say,with a high degree of certainty, I think they would have had little problem, if I, being a stranger to them, touched it..
    One grabbed my camera, took it to the bathroom and took a picture.
    Male of female, I know very few people that keep their piercings secret..They are like tattoo's, most people are extremely proud of them and want to show them off..You do not go through that amount of pain to hide it.
    I do not totally agree with Ibe, but I do not totally disagree either. Personally, I feel, she will get over it.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    The ones I have met, and friends I have with such piercings, it is one of the first things they usually tell people about themselves..I honestly can say,with a high degree of certainty, I think they would have had little problem, if I, being a stranger to them, touched it..
    One grabbed my camera, took it to the bathroom and took a picture.
    Male of female, I know very few people that keep their piercings secret..They are like tattoo's, most people are extremely proud of them and want to show them off..You do not go through that amount of pain to hide it.
    I do not totally agree with Ibe, but I do not totally disagree either. Personally, I feel, she will get over it.
    Uhm... well, I certainly did not expect this. It really is strange to think that men will like that. But then again, I am not a man so I won't know.

Anyway Tinker, I hope the photo was worth his trouble though, I could not help but to giggle when I read your post.

You do have a point though, I guess you won't go through all that pain and suffering to hide it. But what is the use of putting a stud on your nipple or your penis if it is covered by clothing most of the time anyway? Obviously they can not show it in public.

And I still stand with my original post, that it does not necessarily mean people like the idea of strangers fiddling with their piercings when such piercings are on special parts of their bodies.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast