Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Apokalupsis - Moniker Revealed!!

Because inquiring minds want to know...

KINGDOM BIBLE STUDIES

studies in end-time revelation

LOOKING FOR HIS APPEARING

Part 12

THE APOKALUPSIS OF JESUS CHRIST

In the New Testament, in the original Greek, are found six different words and phrases which have been represented to us as ALL meaning the very same thing - the "coming" of the Lord or the "second coming" of Christ! And while a few scholars have gone to the trouble to tell us what these six words mean, yet I do not hesitate to say that not one Christian in a million has earnestly sought the Lord for spiritual wisdom and divine understanding concerning these important matters. There is confusion in the minds of many when they come to this great truth of our Lord's return and much of this uncertainty stems from a failure to understand the diverse meanings of these six Greek words which are used in connection with His coming. Until the great scriptural truths contained in these six Greek words dawn upon our enlightened hearts by the quickening of the spirit of wisdom from on High, though we may be earnest students of God's Word and feel satisfied with what we have, nevertheless, there will be in our possession a great mine of eternal riches and heavenly wealth of which we are able to appropriate only a small portion.

In previous articles we have amply demonstrated that the Greek word PAROUSIA, generally translated "coming," literally means "presence." This is without doubt the key to one of the most important truths in the whole New Testament. Nowhere does PAROUSIA mean "coming" or "coming again." The PAROUSIA OF JESUS CHRIST, the PRESENCE OF THE SON OF GOD is a past, present and future reality. It is the fullness of all that one can conceive of as being the reality of His promise, "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, THERE AM I IN THE MIDST OF THEM," and again, "And, lo, I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, even unto the end of the age." The PAROUSIA is the PRESENCE OF HIS GLORY and the GLORY OF HIS PRESENCE.

THE UNVEILING

This brings us to the second Greek word we shall consider - APOKALUPSIS. This word has been translated in the Bible by various English words such as lighten, revelation, manifestation, coming, appearing and revealed. We can easily understand how the translators could use such a variety of word-meanings to describe the word APOKALUPSIS, but it was not really because APOKALUPSIS held various shades of meaning in the original tongue. To know the past of an individual helps us to understand him better. To know the life history of a word makes its present meaning clearer and more nearly unforgettable.

In English, for instance, the word rostrum is defined as a place where one stands in giving a speech. But originally this Latin word meant "a bird's beak," such as the beak of a hawk or sparrow. But now this meaning does not even enter one's mind when he hears or reads the word. In the days when Rome was a world power naval vessels were constructed with long sharp prows for ramming enemy ships. Because of the appearance, it came to be known as "the bird's beak," and this portion of the vessel was considered a trophy of war. The captured rostrum was taken to the Coliseum at the time a victorious commander went there to receive the acclaim of the people, and he would stand in the rostrum to receive his trophy and to give his speech.

The Greek word APOKALUPSIS is a derivative of APOKALUPTO. APOKALUPTO is a compound word composed of APO, meaning "off" or "away," and KALUPTO, meaning "to cover up." Thus APOKALUPSIS means to take the cover off, to uncover, unveil, reveal or disclose. It implies the drawing away or removal of everything that veils or hides, and therefore it is always opposed to concealment or secrecy, as in the following passage: "There is nothing covered that shall not be revealed (uncovered)" (Mat. 10:26). Our English word "revelation" has become for many a word that signifies a strange belief or some far-out-doctrine, which should be handled as something delusive and dangerous, and avoided if possible. But this is just the opposite from the biblical meaning of the word, and the consideration we need to give to that which is revealed. That which is uncovered is no more a mystery, nor can it any longer be a threat. It is open to view, whether positive or negative, and can be considered without fear since it is no longer shrouded in darkness or mystery.

In the following texts the word related to our Lord's appearing is from either the Greek APOKALUPSIS or APOKALUPTO. "Even so shall it be in the day when the Son of man is REVEALED" (Lk. 17:30). "The sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be REVEALED in us" (Rom. 8:18). "So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the COMING (unveiling; revealment) of our Lord Jesus Christ" (I Cor. 1:7). "To you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be REVEALED from heaven... in flaming fire ... when He shall come to be glorified in His saints" (II Thes. 1:7-10). "That the trial of your faith ... might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the APPEARING of Jesus Christ" (I Pet. 1:7). "Hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the REVELATION of Jesus Christ" (I Pet. 1:13). "Rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be REVEALED, ye might be glad also with exceeding joy" (I Pet. 4:13). "The REVELATION of Jesus Christ (Rev. 1:1). "For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the MANIFESTATION (unveiling; revealment) of the sons of God" (Rom. 8:19).

Only by REVELATION, UNVEILING can we know the Christ of God or behold Him in His ineffable glory. When the light of the Holy Spirit shines in, the mists that have hung like a cloud over our minds, obscuring the King in His beauty, are cleared away. Then the realities which were once unseen become clearly visible and that which was once seen through a glass darkly is now seen face to face and that which was once known only in part is now known as we are known. The word "unveiling" is certainly the clearest possible translation of the word APOKALUPSIS. On the basis of this "unveiling" of our wonderful Christ, we may, then, expect the APOKALUPSIS to be understood not as a matter of His COMING, but merely of SEEING. It is not at all a question of our Lord making some change in location, as "coming" from high heaven back down into the atmosphere of this planet; it is, rather, the matter of Him who is already present with and within us BECOMING UNVEILED - uncovered, disclosed, revealed in the power of the Holy Spirit that we may truly BEHOLD HIM in the fullness of Himself. It would be one thing for you to "feel a presence" in your room, but something greater should that presence become visible, so that you SEE CLEARLY what was once veiled in obscurity.

Since APOKALUPSIS means to reveal, or unveil, there must be something to unveil or which may be unveiled. That something must be PRESENT or it cannot be unveiled; and it must be hidden from sight or it cannot be disclosed. This is exactly what we have shown in foregoing articles concerning the Lord Jesus, namely, that He is PRESENT and that He is hidden from sight of the natural eye because "the Lord is that Spirit." But, praise God, we are now to find that His invisible presence, parousia, is to be revealed, disclosed, uncovered, unveiled, and that, too, to the whole world in due season. Are we looking for a so-called "second coming" of the Lord? Emphatically we are NOT looking into the sky for such a thing BUT, most emphatically, we ARE looking forward for the disclosure, uncovering, revealing of the Lord NOW PRESENT BUT HIDDEN in Spirit form. Truly, the APOKALUPSIS of Jesus Christ is a yet future vision for the great mass of Christians as well as for the world, and to all of us there is yet much to be unveiled.

For more : http://www.hisremnant.org/eby/articl...ing/look12.htm

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Apokalupsis - Moniker Revealed!!

Mein Gott - Apok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I know I'm insane.

Ah, or is it that you are the Temple's veil, shrouding the inner sanctum of light and knowledge from us questing mortals?
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Apok explaining about his name way way back in the day on DF.com. I more think of him as Apok... as in the one character from The Matrix... :D

Still, he never used to have his pic on the other forum and seeing him with hair on his head has shattered the Ray Whatever-his-name-is image I used to have.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...

Yeah, I forgot about that guy in the Matrix...

Post Thanks / Like

He explained this to me a while back in a PM, if I recall. Now if I could only remember his real name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning
    Now if I could only remember his real name.
    Hes an American of Czechoslovakian decent...I think, so do you know any common names of Czechoslovakia?
    Do or do not, there is no try. - Master Jedi Yoda
    He's Kermit on acid who happens to carry a big stick when pissed off. Big deal. - Apokalupsis
    Actually, didn't Frank Oz do Bert as well? We're cousins! - Withnail in reference to Bert and Yoda

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTShatto
    Hes an American of Czechoslovakian decent...I think, so do you know any common names of Czechoslovakia?
    Not really. Andre? Ivan? Just kidding, I remember it was a "geek"-sounding name, something that doesn't fit Apok's physical appearance very well. Something like Nelson or Harvey or Leonard.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Bump for Zhav.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

How about Alexander Dubcek as Apok's real ID?
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Not really. Andre? Ivan? Just kidding, I remember it was a "geek"-sounding name, something that doesn't fit Apok's physical appearance very well. Something like Nelson or Harvey or Leonard.
    Rufus.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    Rufus.
    Rufus, eh? That seems different than what you told me a year ago, for some reason. That's not a stereotypical "geek" name, it's just foreign/old-fashioned sounding. I like it, though. Unique is good.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Rufus, eh? That seems different than what you told me a year ago, for some reason.
    Melvin?
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Melvin?
    There you go, Melvin. Is one your middle name, and you go by both, or a similar situation? I like Melvin too, I'm not a fan of generic names, and Melvin isn't too common. I like Kevin, even though it's a fairly popular name among the younger generation. It just seems to fit me, not too common-sounding, but not incredibly strange either.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, my full name is Melvin Rufus Rekcus. Last name is Czech. My friends call me Rufus.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I have it on good authority that Apok's real name is Albert Alexander Flurtingsworth the 14th, and don't let him tell you different.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

ODN Community Regular

Between the passage of pain and the river of death...
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Apokalupsis - Moniker Revealed!!

My friends call me Rufus.

Apok's real picture.
    Cranky old guy.

=>Andacanavar<=

"Comedy & Tragedy, wrapped into one."

Post Thanks / Like

Rufus = George Carlin from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvatar
    I have it on good authority that Apok's real name is Albert Alexander Flurtingsworth the 14th, and don't let him tell you different.
    You forgot the, 'The Most Honourable Lord' bit before his moniker.

Apok - if the old family name is indeed Rekus, it sounds like a challenge in a stock car race!

Rufus is a name with historic noble ties over here -

William Rufus was a son of William the Conqueror and ruled England for 10 turbulent years after his father's death. Died in a 'mysterious hunting accident (an arrow through his chest) - killed by a close friend, Walter of Tirel, Lord of Poix (no, not Pox) - it was possibly engineered by Rufus' brother Henry.

A contemporary chronicle says this of his reign, ' ........ thunders terryfying the earth, lightenings and thunderbolts most frequent, deluging showers without number, winds of the most astonishing violence, and whirlwinds that shook the towers of churches and levelled them to the ground.'

Rufus was red haired, petulant and prone to fearsome bouts of anger. He never married, but bastards can't be totally ruled out.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

It's "Rekcus", not "Rekus". Huge difference in meaning.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast