Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

A REAL Ironman suit?

I saw this article...and after just seeing the Ironman movie....it seemed a little too similar. Could this work? What do you think?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080515/...se6ro8oGGs0NUE
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A REAL Ironman suit?

It's not NEARLY as cool as this guy.

Maybe if they combine the robot exoskeleton with the jet wings...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine this being used as a combat weapon - too many parts that could break.

Maybe if they could put a mask on it to look like GWB, then we could scare people away.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop
    I can't imagine this being used as a combat weapon - too many parts that could break.

Maybe if they could put a mask on it to look like GWB, then we could scare people away.
    Or perhaps if it could harness the tension of the strained Bush jokes constantly being made...
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

There's plenty of stuff the military uses with parts that can break. The question is does it have an infantry application? Can a soldier run in it? Dive for cover? Slog through sand and mud? Camoflage it? What's the advantage of wearing it? We already have man-portable weapons that can devistate an enemy. Mounting bigger guns on it just makes it look like a target to me.

No... I think the main application for something like that is for labor, not combat. Being able to quickly move gear too heavy for a person to lift without having to get trucks or small cranes involved is a very useful idea.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    There's plenty of stuff the military uses with parts that can break. The question is does it have an infantry application? Can a soldier run in it? Dive for cover? Slog through sand and mud? Camoflage it? What's the advantage of wearing it? We already have man-portable weapons that can devistate an enemy. Mounting bigger guns on it just makes it look like a target to me.

No... I think the main application for something like that is for labor, not combat. Being able to quickly move gear too heavy for a person to lift without having to get trucks or small cranes involved is a very useful idea.
    ...what about "stuff" that makes running, diving for cover, slogging through sand and mud, and camouflage irrelevant?
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The military had something like that in development a few years back. It was basically an exoskeleton (I believe that is the term) that you wore like a suit.

This suit would allow you to lift a great deal of weight without so much as putting a strain on your body.

I am not 100% sure if this is the "perfected" version of that suit though.
    Witty puns...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

With the Land Warrior system we are definitely headed in this direction. If you ever look at the amount of equipment that had to be worn for that system you realize that its not that far away when we start making an actual suit.

I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

Post Thanks / Like

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadn737 View Post
    With the Land Warrior system we are definitely headed in this direction. If you ever look at the amount of equipment that had to be worn for that system you realize that its not that far away when we start making an actual suit.
    Yeah, I remember watching it on the History Channel.

It is a neat idea, but like any electronic it needs to be made smaller and have longer battery life.

Last time I checked the battery was the main issue on the Land Warrior system.
    Witty puns...

Post Thanks / Like

well... my computer won't let me open up the links up there so i have no idea...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Thread moved to Member Contributed News.
    Trendem