Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Should he be banned?

I didnt know whether to put this in the 'social issues' or 'sport' section, so if one of the mod's could move if i was wrong

Dwain Chambers failed a drug test in 2004 after competing in the silver medal winning 4X100 relay team.

In 2003 he was banned for two years from Athletics by UK Athletics, he was also banned from the olympics and stripped of his medals, as were the whole relay team.

In early 2008 Chambers admitted to using other performance enhancing drugs like EPO and HGH in his past.

He has since been tested and found to be clean, in the UK trials for the olympic 100M, he finished first. Therefore becoming Britains fastest sprinter yet again.

There is outrage as to wether he should be allowed to compete.

My questions to everyone is:
    Do you think he should be allowed to compete?
    Do you think this leaves a bad mark on Uk athletics?

The way i see it, its a bit like a prison sentence, Once you have served your time, your allowed out of prison. Its simple.

He served his ban, he didnt complain, he didnt lie like other's do, he put his hands up and accepted he'd been caught.

More to the point, He's our F'ing fastest sprinter, I dont understand why we are trying to stop him from going, we should be in HIS corner not fighting against him. We are trying to win medals, this shouldnt be an issue.

So whats your views
    .::The Swindall::.

"...In the beginning, man created god"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should he be banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Swindall View Post
    My questions to everyone is:
    Do you think he should be allowed to compete?
    Do you think this leaves a bad mark on Uk athletics?
    He may be fast, but not as fast as our American runners.

Seriously though, I do think he should be allowed to compete. Like you said, he has served his time. If the governing bodies decided he was a risk to the sport, they would probably give him a lifetime ban. As it is now, he's probably peeing in a cup before every event just to make sure. I mean, after all, the guy did get caught three times with performance enchancing drugs. So you gotta wonder if he's gonna do it again. But I say test him regularly and let him compete. Does anybody know some of the ways to cheat drug tests?

To your second question, I do think he leaves a bad mark on UK athletics, and athletics in general. Performance enhancing drugs harm all sports because they make the playing field uneven among the players. I don't see a challenge in using drugs to make you hit the ball harder or run faster. That's not sport, that's taking the easy road while the other guys and girls out there are struggling with what nature gave them.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Let the man sprint..
    You know what amazes me..Athletes are tested ALL the time..It's their job to be fast & strong..they use a drug to become better at their job, and they get in trouble...And really, who cares? Let them use.
    However, people that have careers where using drugs can be dangerous to others, and there is known rampant abuse...Like Doctors, Nurses, Truckers...blah blah blah...No one tests them, until they kill someone..And few people discuss it or seem to be concerned with it.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

If drugs were legal and an accepted part of the sport, I think that would be optimal. If I want to watch track (cause I am realllllly bored and my remote control is broken) I want to watch people moving as fast as, well, humanly possible. I don't care how they do it so long as they aren't putting motors in their shoes (and that could actually be pretty cool too).

But, if drug use is against the rules, then the dude shouldn't be allowed to run. I understand he passed his drug test and ran the fastest race. Sport isn't just about on-field accomplishments. It is about public perception. I suspect British track and field has a good amount to lose if the public does not support its athletes because they feel they are doped. The guy is a disgrace and should be banned.

But? British track and field didn't ban him. They wussed out cause they are British and very sensitive folks. So, they let him run in the race. Now, they are screwed. If they didn't want him to compete, they shouldn't have let him run. What am I missing here?
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Let him run, but test him before each and every race to ensure he isn't taking anything.
    Frozen In Time Yearning Forbidden Wishes Damned And Divine
    Scars Of My Broken Kisses What Will Follow If Tomorrow's Blind? My Eternal Night.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Let the man sprint..
    You know what amazes me..Athletes are tested ALL the time..It's their job to be fast & strong..they use a drug to become better at their job, and they get in trouble...And really, who cares? Let them use.
    I cant agree with this...

Its cheating, Simple as.

It would be like a tennis player using a bigger tennis racket than everyone else, Its his job to hit the ball onto the other side of the net, so why shouldnt he use a Huge tennis racket that would otherwise be against regulations.

I Understand where your coming from though... In a way. But still, its cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    But, if drug use is against the rules, then the dude shouldn't be allowed to run. I understand he passed his drug test and ran the fastest race. Sport isn't just about on-field accomplishments. It is about public perception. I suspect British track and field has a good amount to lose if the public does not support its athletes because they feel they are doped. The guy is a disgrace and should be banned.
    Yes. He was banned, he served that ban, if you mean for life, i think thats ridiculously harsh. He ran in the trials, Clean, drug free. I dont see why he shouldnt be allowed to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    But? British track and field didn't ban him. They wussed out cause they are British and very sensitive folks. So, they let him run in the race. Now, they are screwed. If they didn't wanthim to compete, they shouldn't have let him run. What am I missing here?
    Were not all sensitive folks over here They let him run the trials, but the argument is, should he be allowed to run in the olympics, it was still in debate when he ran, so they couldnt stop him. What im saying is, he should be allowed to run in the olympics because he is drug free, he is not breaking any rules, he has been punished already for breaking the rules, he has learnt, and is now looking very strong.

Originally Posted By Wolf Myth
    He may be fast, but not as fast as our American runners.
    You guys better just watch out for the Jamaicans lol

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I feel it will be wrong to ban him. Like you said, he served his time. He was honest about what drugs he used and now he is clear.

The least people can do is support him. I am sure when athletes make themselves guilty of using performance enhancing drugs they should be tested on a more regular basis. But if he is clean, he does not have anything to worry about.

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Let the man sprint..
    However, people that have careers where using drugs can be dangerous to others, and there is known rampant abuse...Like Doctors, Nurses, Truckers...blah blah blah...No one tests them, until they kill someone..And few people discuss it or seem to be concerned with it.

The problem is not all sports men and women want to use the drugs. These drugs do give them an added advantage, and that will be unfair to those who wish not to use it.

They also don't want to use it for other health related issues. Drugs have side effects and many sports men and women will rather be the best without using it.

Like Swindall said, it is cheating.
    Last edited by Aspoestertjie; July 16th, 2008 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

CannibalisticC

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    The problem is not all sports men and women want to use the drugs. These drugs do give them an added advantage, and that will be unfair to those who wish not to use it.

They also don't want to use it for other health related issues. Drugs have side effects and many sports men and women will rather be the best without using it.

Like Swindall said, it is cheating.

----

They also don't want to use it for other health related issues. Drugs have side effects and many sports men and women will rather be the best without using it
    Hmm, I happen to agree with what was said earlier. If drugs are used to "enchant" ones ability why would that be a bad thing? It would be like a student taking an extra step in his studies to help him get a better mark on his test. Although, the drugs are harmful, I believe if there wasn't such a taboo on sterioid use then there would(could) be a way to use it in moderation.

As for the runner, let him run. His past shouldn't fallow him around. He did nothing wrong by running this time, why drag his past into it? If it turned out that he did use drugs this time, boot him out because it is against the rules. (Although, I find that rather foolish. ;/)

Also, if drugs were to loose their taboo and tests were done to ensure health and safty, wouldn't the athletes who don't take them be like a kid not studying for a test? I know, the others who took drugs are more likley to have an addvantage; but they would be using what was avalible to them. I guess one could also compair drugs to someone cheating on a test, but really, the only reason I can see it being such a problem is the taboo it has worked up. But, as I said; if it is against the rules there is nothing one can do about it.
    Last edited by CannibalisticC; October 4th, 2008 at 05:12 AM.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Update: He wasnt allowed to run. And Great Britain did crap in the 100M sprint.

However my predictions earlier in the thread about the Jamaicans taking the Americans to school was proved correct

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swindall View Post
    Update: He wasnt allowed to run. And Great Britain did crap in the 100M sprint.

However my predictions earlier in the thread about the Jamaicans taking the Americans to school was proved correct
    The Jamaicans was awesome Swindall, I agree.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!