Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Bush Campaign's New Scare Tactic

Story Here

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) -- A November win by Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry would put the United States at risk of another "devastating" terrorist attack, Vice President Dick Cheney told supporters Tuesday.
    If we make the wrong choice, then the danger is that we'll get hit again -- that we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States," Cheney said.

"And then we'll fall back into the pre-9/11 mindset, if you will, that in fact these terrorist attacks are just criminal acts and that we're not really at war. I think that would be a terrible mistake for us."
    Obviously, the quote at the top is out of context. They always are. Cheney was referring to the differing policies of the candidates, and allegedly meant that Kerry's policies would make it easier for terrorists to attack.

However, if you believe that Cheney's comment was simply an unfortunately constructed sentence you're simply naive. These presentations the candidates give are precisely constructed. In this case, Cheney was talking about foreign policy. If you look at the simple semantics of his speach, you could argue that was his only meaning.

I am of the opinion, however, that the underlying message of a paragraph or argument is just as important as the semantics in which it was constructed. Look at the paragraph again..."If we make the wrong choice, then the danger is that we'll get hit again -- that we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States. And then we'll fall back into the pre-9/11 mindset, if you will, that in fact these terrorist attacks are just criminal acts and that we're not really at war. I think that would be a terrible mistake for us." Of course you can argue that he was not making a direct threat - his entire speach is constructed that way. But what are people really going to hear? "If you don't vote for Bush, the terrorists will attack."

I have a feeling the conservatives on this board arn't going to agree with me :p

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bush Campaign's New Scare Tactic

Quote Originally Posted by Telex
    But what are people really going to hear? "If you don't vote for Bush, the terrorists will attack."
    I've been waiting for this day to come for months, but am somewhat surprised that Cheney would be so brash. And...Cheney meant exactly what CNN reported: "Cheney: Kerry win risks terror attack" or as reported by MSNBC, "Cheney says ‘wrong choice’ would risk attack," or as reported by FoxNews, "Cheney: Terror Attack If Kerry Elected."

In other crazy Republican news, Alan Keyes said in a radio interview at the Republican National Convention that Jesus would not vote for Democratic candidate Barack Obama for the Illinois Senate.

And...just in...Bush plans to skip 3rd debate; will only agree to 2 debates with Kerry. Great news for democracy! /\

And...for tomorrow's news today:

GLOBE: BUSH DIDN'T MEET GUARD COMMITMENTS

President Bush fell well short of meeting his military obligation in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War, the BOSTON GLOBE is planning to front on Wednesday, newsroom sources tell DRUDGE.

The 1,500 word expose on Bush's records comes just hours ahead of an exclusive CBSNEWS interview set to air Wednesday night with a man who secured for the 22-year-old Yale graduate Bush a coveted place in the Guard -- a man who now claims he regrets helping Bush.

The GLOBE claims: "Twice during his Guard service - first when he joined in May 1968, and again before he transferred out of his unit in mid-1973 to attend Harvard Business School - Bush signed documents pledging to meet training commitments or face a punitive call-up to active duty.

"He didn't meet the commitments, or face the punishment, the records show."

After laying dormant for most of the summer, big media picks up where it left off on the Bush national guard issue in a post-Labor Day filing frenzy.

In the next hours and days, the ASSOCIATED PRESS, CBSNEWS, BOSTON GLOBE and NBCNEWS [who will host Bush author Kitty Kelley on Monday] will revisit Bush National Guard.

The upcoming reexamination of Bush's records by the GLOBE show that Bush's attendance at required training drills "was so irregular that his superiors could have disciplined him or ordered him to active duty in 1972, 1973, or 1974. But they did neither. In fact, Bush's unit certified in late 1973 that his service had been "satisfactory" - just four months after Bush's commanding officer wrote that Bush had not been seen at his unit for the previous 12 months."

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Fear of terrorism is a very powerful meme... one that Chenney and co. are trying to drill into the heads of every voting American.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

I think this explains a lot...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough, this thread seems eerily remniscient of M. Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" and his pet theory that one of the major differences in the US and Canada is the overriding sense of fear perpetuated in the US media.

The NeoCons are often blamed for this, and personally, I am not suprised that someone with 4 draft deferrments would use such a tactic, despite the apparent hypocrasy.
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

the Bush camp and Bush devotees are always quick to point out that Kerry (and the dems) are using the death count to their advantage.....Bush and Cheney are doing the same, only they hope to terrorize naive (and terrified) voters into voting for them....no difference...............:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberclown
    the Bush camp and Bush devotees are always quick to point out that Kerry (and the dems) are using the death count to their advantage.....Bush and Cheney are doing the same, only they hope to terrorize naive (and terrified) voters into voting for them....no difference...............:O)
    This is the kind of stuff that makes me ill to see and hear people like Spart toting guns in this man's name.

Which candidate is really worse? Honestly, they try to tool the public like 1950's duck and cover drills.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting that no Bush supportter has replied to this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fyshhed
    This is the kind of stuff that makes me ill to see and hear people like Spart toting guns in this man's name.

What the hell is with this personal attack?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    What the hell is with this personal attack?
    People like you. It's actually an impersonal attack. However, I apologize if you were offended and will rephrase to "Blind Republican Partisans." Retort if you like.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Post Thanks / Like

Story Here

I have a feeling the conservatives on this board arn't going to agree with me :p

Cheney made a stupid remark...Better to have said that our enemies want to see President Bush out of the Whitehouse and will regard a Kerry victory as a victory for themselves.

Better to have said that given John Kerry has only espoused anti-military and anti-defense views since returning from Viet Nam, he is not fit to be commander in chief in a time of war....

Post Thanks / Like

Then why hasn't Cheney or one of his aides admitted it was a stupid remark?

Their response was ""This is nothing new. This is nothing inconsistent with his views." There was no mention of a misspoken sentence. And like I said before, the speaches that the candidates give are always written out beforehand. Cheney knew exactly what he was doing.

Post Thanks / Like

People like you. It's actually an impersonal attack. However, I apologize if you were offended and will rephrase to "Blind Republican Partisans." Retort if you like.

Nice to see someone admit that the all-volunteer Armed Forces is popualted predominantly by people who vote Republican.....

"Blind" though???????

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see someone admit that the all-volunteer Armed Forces is popualted predominantly by people who vote Republican.....
    How do you figure that? I saw no mention of the entire Armed Forces.

Even if he did, why does that matter?

Post Thanks / Like

"People Like me? WHat do you mean People like me? Christians, Republicans? WHat do you mean people like me?" -- Denzel Washington on Good Morning America.

Post Thanks / Like

Then why hasn't Cheney or one of his aides admitted it was a stupid remark?

Their response was ""This is nothing new. This is nothing inconsistent with his views." There was no mention of a misspoken sentence. And like I said before, the speaches that the candidates give are always written out beforehand. Cheney knew exactly what he was doing.

In politics it an example of what is called "red meat"...which is entirely what this thread is...which is why no conservative wants to chime in...I only popped in here the unprovoked personal attack Fysh made against me caight my attention....and now I'm out of here.....

Enjoy your raw steak here......

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by red meat? Because all I'm seeing is someone who constantly speaks out against the Lib's exploitation of current events but unwilling to see his own party's terror-mongering.

Post Thanks / Like

If anything the US will be at greater risk of attack if it looks like Bush is going to lose the election. The Bush administration is Al Qaeda's greatest asset.
    No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any other way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so, except by the lawful judgement of his equals or by the law of the land.
    - The Magna Carta, 1225

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mog
    If anything the US will be at greater risk of attack if it looks like Bush is going to lose the election. The Bush administration is Al Qaeda's greatest asset.
    lol. maybe, maybe.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

The conservatives on this board choose their battles wisely. You'll notice that none of them have dashed over to my thread where I illustrated how the Bush campaighn is using threats of terrorism for political gain against Kerry.

Personally, I'm not so worried about the election. Most of the polls and such are just hype. Look at the facts:

Bush lost the popular vote in 2000 by a margin of 500,000 / half a million.

Since 2000, America has hemoraged jobs and we've gone to a very unpopular war.

What makes you think so many people have rallied to Bush's side? I work with an EVANGELICAL CHRISTIAN who's NOT voting for Bush this time around. Sure, it's just one guy, but people are starting to wise up. For all his talk of god, Bush has burned a lot of bridges in the Christian world which is supposed to be his powerbase. Christian sects that have traditionally enjoyed great access to the president have been turned away... all except Evangelicals.

Either Kerry will win or Bush will steel the election again. *shrugs*

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast