Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
Results 181 to 191 of 191
  1. #181
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    I would be happy to judge as well, but agree with Aspo, getting someone to take the pro side of that will be difficult.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    I'll take the pro side then.

  3. #183
    Myself
    Guest

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Hi everybody,

    I'm new to this particular forum, and find myself wanting to wet my metaphorical feet with a debate on the existence of God. I don't understand the reasons that theists have for believing in a deity, it even sounds, and in all honesty, ridiculous.

    I am, however, open to having my mind changed, and so if anyone feels capable of presenting an argument for the existence of God, I would very much like to hear them out and start a debate with them.

    So, who's up for the challenge? I propose that we treat this more as a conversation and less as a strict debate. You can present arguments, then I will respond, and so forth. There wouldn't be any post limit, any predetermined structure, just limited to two people: you, and myself.

    As to whether or not we have judges, that's up to you. I don't particularly mind, as I'm necessarily trying to "win" the debate, simply listen to your argument and then talk about.

    I'm looking forward to debating with you, cheers!

  4. #184
    Kathrine
    Guest

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    I am a product Design Student at Edinburgh College of Art and we have been given a research question of -What recent technological development has had the biggest impact on people's quality of life?

  5. #185
    ThinkAbtIt
    Guest

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    I'd like to be a judge. I'm new here so I also am not sure how this works.

  6. #186
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkAbtIt View Post
    I'd like to be a judge. I'm new here so I also am not sure how this works.
    Normally people post here with a request for judges for more formal debates, where they and one other debate a position for a few posts then the judges hand down their rulings. We haven't had anyone engage in a formal debate as of late, but we'll keep you in mind.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


  7. #187
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    I would like to set up a formal debate. The subject will be Price Gouging. I will take the defense of price gouging and my opponent the condemnation of it.

    The thread will be three posts each. An OP, a rebuttal and closing statements. We can have judges if you desire or just review any comments in an associated discussion thread.

    This should be an easy subject for someone given it's status as bad in so much conventional wisdom. Anyone up for the challenge?
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


  8. #188
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    I would like to set up a formal debate. The subject will be Price Gouging. I will take the defense of price gouging and my opponent the condemnation of it.

    The thread will be three posts each. An OP, a rebuttal and closing statements. We can have judges if you desire or just review any comments in an associated discussion thread.

    This should be an easy subject for someone given it's status as bad in so much conventional wisdom. Anyone up for the challenge?
    I'm potentially game but would like a more precise definition of price gouging otherwise we're very likely to talk past eachother. What is the debate you envisage having?

    Essentially are we talking about:
    1: Companies passing on high costs they incur to the consumer
    2: Companies massively inflating profit margins due to scarcity of goods
    3: All price gouging or price gouging on necessities like food

    Also on a more technical level do you envisage these as abstract argumentation or were you thinking fully referenced and roughly how long were you thinking?
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

  9. #189
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by eliotitus View Post
    I'm potentially game but would like a more precise definition of price gouging otherwise we're very likely to talk past eachother.
    Sure, I'm talking about the action that is generally legally defined as "greater than 10% increase in prices due to an unforseen circumstance." Because the precise definition won't really be part of my defense I'll go ahead and post a condensed version of the scenario that I was going to put in the OP here. Needless to say I will essentially stipulate all the unsavory elements, the ability of the supplier to withhold the good, his purely materialistic desire for profit, etc.

    A small town in North Carolina was just hit by a hurricane. As a result the major electrical grids are out and aren't expected to be restored for nearly two weeks. Fuel supplies were suspended the two weeks before the hurricane in an effort to limit the environmental damage that might arise from a fuel spill. Now the hurricane has passed and fuel supplies are scarce. Gas had been selling at $3.50 a gallon, now it would not be unheard of to pay $7/gallon in underground exchanges. A local retailer has decided to sell his gas at $5.50/gallon because he knows that he can profit off the shortage.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elio
    Essentially are we talking about:
    1: Companies passing on high costs they incur to the consumer
    2: Companies massively inflating profit margins due to scarcity of goods
    3: All price gouging or price gouging on necessities like food
    I would leave the discussion as broad as you wish. As you can see I used gas above because it is commonly used in economic discussions. We could switch out bread or milk if you prefer, it doesn't change my aspect of the argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elio
    Also on a more technical level do you envisage these as abstract argumentation or were you thinking fully referenced and roughly how long were you thinking?
    I was planning on doing a more abstract discussion. Given legal prohibitions a full data set would be exceedingly hard to come by. The best I could do is to point out a few examples where the law was broken and a few consequences of situations where the law was in place.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


  10. #190
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Sure, I'm talking about the action that is generally legally defined as "greater than 10% increase in prices due to an unforseen circumstance." Because the precise definition won't really be part of my defense I'll go ahead and post a condensed version of the scenario that I was going to put in the OP here. Needless to say I will essentially stipulate all the unsavory elements, the ability of the supplier to withhold the good, his purely materialistic desire for profit, etc.

    A small town in North Carolina was just hit by a hurricane. As a result the major electrical grids are out and aren't expected to be restored for nearly two weeks. Fuel supplies were suspended the two weeks before the hurricane in an effort to limit the environmental damage that might arise from a fuel spill. Now the hurricane has passed and fuel supplies are scarce. Gas had been selling at $3.50 a gallon, now it would not be unheard of to pay $7/gallon in underground exchanges. A local retailer has decided to sell his gas at $5.50/gallon because he knows that he can profit off the shortage.




    I would leave the discussion as broad as you wish. As you can see I used gas above because it is commonly used in economic discussions. We could switch out bread or milk if you prefer, it doesn't change my aspect of the argument.


    I was planning on doing a more abstract discussion. Given legal prohibitions a full data set would be exceedingly hard to come by. The best I could do is to point out a few examples where the law was broken and a few consequences of situations where the law was in place.
    Cool sounds good. I'm happy with fuel, to all extents and purposes in a modern economy it is a necessity.
    I would post with full disclosure in advance that I'm relatively undecided on the issue as an actual point of view and this is in large part an intellectual exercise for me. It's an issue I want to know more about and this seems like a good excuse to formulate ideas on it.

    If you're game I can produce something in the next couple of days?
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

  11. #191
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by eliotitus View Post
    Cool sounds good. I'm happy with fuel, to all extents and purposes in a modern economy it is a necessity.
    I would post with full disclosure in advance that I'm relatively undecided on the issue as an actual point of view and this is in large part an intellectual exercise for me. It's an issue I want to know more about and this seems like a good excuse to formulate ideas on it.

    If you're game I can produce something in the next couple of days?
    I'll write my OP on Monday and post it Monday night. You can write you OP and post it right after that and then we can work on our rebuttals. Looking forward to it.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


 

 
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Similar Threads

  1. Thread closed due to length and age? Huh?
    By Xanadu Moo in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM
  2. New thread views and Quick Reply
    By Apokalupsis in forum Announcements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: November 14th, 2005, 09:59 PM
  3. Forum Rules...Thread Splits.
    By HappyLady in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 21st, 2004, 06:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •