Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 191
  1. #41
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    According to Christians, just south of heaven
    Posts
    1,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    RC, that is what judges are suppose to do yes.
    I haven't forgotten about you guys...I've just been Uber busy past few days....soon soon soon I promise.

    In Heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here.

    Rogue Cardinal, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate


  2. #42
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Don't worry RC, take your time. I am very busy myself. I got way too much irons in the fire right now.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  3. #43
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    It's time to have a formal "abortions debate".

    Who wants in?
    Oh yes, the sweet sweet, topic of abortion which often leads to the mutilation of the opponent.

    LAST debate site I was in accused me of being a 'child murderer' for attempting to debate about this topic.

    I would if I had the time, but perhaps not now... too busy.

    I may try to in 2-3 weeks, but it's probably going to be too late by then, I suppose.
    Nun, Volk, steh' auf, und Sturm, brich' los!

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    ..:: ( Comtesse ) ::..

  4. #44
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    9,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Comtesse. No telling, I'm just trying to get the ball started.
    To serve man.

  5. #45
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Ok seeing that this has been inactive forever, I'm going to suggest some topics,

    1. Religion (Duh)
    2. Obama's Iraq/Afghanistan policies
    3. Abortion (As Mindtrap has stated above)
    4. Cocaine
    5. Is wine good for you?
    6. The benefits of Television.
    7. Airsofting - is it more harmful than beneficial for people

    Dunno, some weird topics.
    Nun, Volk, steh' auf, und Sturm, brich' los!

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    ..:: ( Comtesse ) ::..

  6. #46
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Comtesse, not many people really debate in the Formal Debate Section. Hopefully someone will be willing to debate with you on some of these. Kudos to you for trying though.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  7. #47
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    486
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    I've got one for you guys.. If anyone is interested

    Had the Soviet Union decided to continue World War II, and declared war on the Allies with the intention of taking continental Europe and the UK, they would have succeeded.

  8. #48
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by czahar View Post
    Damn, you beat me to it.
    Well my opposition only ever made two posts, which is why I waited before composing an OP. I'll take you on instead if you're still game?

    Motion: It is the case that Jesus of Nazereth was a historical figure.

    Proposition: Eliotitus
    Opposition: Czahar

    Debate format: Opening statement proposition
    Opening statement opposition
    1st rebuttal proposition
    1st rebuttal opposition
    2nd rebuttal proposition
    2nd rebuttal opposition
    Closing statement proposition
    Closing statement opposition

    Opening and closing statements should obviously try to be composed as independantly of what the other debator has said as possible and certainley shouldn't be a point by point quote and deconstruct format post. That's what rebuttals are for.

    No time limit in between posts I may only be replying sporadically due to upcoming exams but I feel this would be a fun debate regardless.

    Any judges forthcoming? I'm gonna ask for a preferable number of three experienced debators who would be willing to read and judge. If no judges are found in a week then I'm content to go ahead with the debate anyway and just have a public vote.

    Terms agreed?

    EDIT: For the record I started the OP tonight. It looks like it's going to have to be epically long if I want it comprehensive. I've done 4 and a bit pages MS word so far and I don't think I'm half way through. Just letting you know what you're getting yourself in for if you choose to accept
    Last edited by eliotitus; April 27th, 2009 at 03:52 PM.
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

  9. #49
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    1,961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by eliotitus View Post
    Well my opposition only ever made two posts, which is why I waited before composing an OP. I'll take you on instead if you're still game?

    Motion: It is the case that Jesus of Nazereth was a historical figure.

    Proposition: Eliotitus
    Opposition: Czahar

    Debate format: Opening statement proposition
    Opening statement opposition
    1st rebuttal proposition
    1st rebuttal opposition
    2nd rebuttal proposition
    2nd rebuttal opposition
    Closing statement proposition
    Closing statement opposition

    Opening and closing statements should obviously try to be composed as independantly of what the other debator has said as possible and certainley shouldn't be a point by point quote and deconstruct format post. That's what rebuttals are for.

    No time limit in between posts I may only be replying sporadically due to upcoming exams but I feel this would be a fun debate regardless.

    Any judges forthcoming? I'm gonna ask for a preferable number of three experienced debators who would be willing to read and judge. If no judges are found in a week then I'm content to go ahead with the debate anyway and just have a public vote.

    Terms agreed?

    EDIT: For the record I started the OP tonight. It looks like it's going to have to be epically long if I want it comprehensive. I've done 4 and a bit pages MS word so far and I don't think I'm half way through. Just letting you know what you're getting yourself in for if you choose to accept
    Sounds like a plan, man. Let's do it!

  10. #50
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Excellent, any judges forthcoming?
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

  11. #51
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Opening case is nearly finished just one more main section and then a introductory conclusion (yay juxtaposition) left to write. I'd say I should have the post out by tomorrow. Quick as you can sign on to be judges people, you know you want to...
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

  12. #52
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    2,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    I've spent some time on this subject, I'll be a judge.

    A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
    - Wayne Gretzky

  13. #53
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandaler View Post
    I've spent some time on this subject, I'll be a judge.

    Much obliged.
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

  14. #54
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Meh, I can try - is there a requirement?
    Nun, Volk, steh' auf, und Sturm, brich' los!

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    ..:: ( Comtesse ) ::..

  15. #55
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    1,961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Comtesse View Post
    Meh, I can try - is there a requirement?
    Nope. Just follow the debates, tell us who think provided a stronger argument when it's over, and why.

  16. #56
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Comtesse View Post
    Meh, I can try - is there a requirement?
    I'll put you in as judge.

    Or not, I've missed the editing phase of the main post. If a mod could put your name in the relevant vacant spot it would be appreciated
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

  17. #57
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    2,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Will do.
    A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
    - Wayne Gretzky

  18. #58
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Thanks.
    Nun, Volk, steh' auf, und Sturm, brich' los!

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    ..:: ( Comtesse ) ::..

  19. #59
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Anyone want to try a veganism v. omnivorism debate perhaps in the near future?
    Nun, Volk, steh' auf, und Sturm, brich' los!

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    ..:: ( Comtesse ) ::..

  20. #60
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    1,961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Use this thread to look for judges/debaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Comtesse View Post
    Anyone want to try a veganism v. omnivorism debate perhaps in the near future?
    What exactly would we be arguing?

 

 
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thread closed due to length and age? Huh?
    By Xanadu Moo in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM
  2. New thread views and Quick Reply
    By Apokalupsis in forum Announcements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: November 14th, 2005, 09:59 PM
  3. Forum Rules...Thread Splits.
    By HappyLady in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 21st, 2004, 06:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •