Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Global Warming III

(working on post)

Many critics of the theory of global warming claim that there is insufficient evidence to conclude that anthropogenic (man-made) factors contribute to observed climate change (i.e. increases in "greenhouse gases", primarily carbon dioxide, from fossil fuel consumption). Some also deny that there has been climate change.

Within a system as complex as global climate, it is difficult to point a finger to any single cause for temperature change. Clearly fluctuations in solar activity and volcanism affect climate as well as currents in the oceans and atmosphere. But some questions remain, namely (and to quote the NCDC):

* How much warming has occurred due to anthropogenic increases in atmospheric trace-gas levels?
    * How much warming will occur in the future?
    * What other changes will occur with future warming?

Again, critics of global warming would say one thing, though the science says another. By creating sophisticated models that incorporate the data from volcanic events, solar radiation and greenhouse gas concentration, it is possible to determine the contributions of each of these on climate today by trying to fit the model to the known data. Here's some of the data:

To quote, again, the NCDC:
    "Paleoclimatology offers help in answering each of these questions. Several of the paleoclimate studies reported in this web document have begun efforts to attribute past climate change to both natural and human causes, and to estimate how much of the current warming is due to humans (i.e., greenhouse warming). The best estimate is that about 50% of the observed global warming is due to greenhouse gas increases."

In response to critics who discount the presence of global temperature change:

"Taking into account the uncertainties in our NH [Northern Hemisphere Temperature] reconstruction (see 'Methods--calibration'), it appears that the years 1990, 1995 and now 1997 (this value recently calculated and not shown) each exhibit anomalies that are greater than any other year back to 1400 at 3 standard errors, or, roughly a 99.7% level of certainty"

In summary, based on the statistical modeling of climate recorded in the past, there is no way to account for currently observed climate change without incorporating the effects of greenhouse gases. We must assume that emission of carbon dioxide is causing, at present, 50% of the warming trend.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/pubs/mann1998/
    http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/pubs/mann1998/
    Last edited by Zorak; August 7th, 2008 at 01:36 AM.
    It is less important what you believe, than why you believe it.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Global Warming III

I'd hate to see this post wasted so I'll start the ball rolling. I'll start with the summary, because I'm lazy.

In summary, based on the statistical modeling of climate recorded in the past, there is no way to account for currently observed climate change without incorporating the effects of greenhouse gases. We must assume that emission of carbon dioxide is causing, at present, 50% of the warming trend.
    CO2 is only a part of the problem - although a big one. Deforestation, erosion, fires and floods, etc. all play a role in controlling co2 levels on the planet. Measuring ice on the polar ice caps may not be a good indicator of our planet's health.

I sincerely hope that in the next 100 years there will be a worldwide consensus - it's the only way to get everyone working towards the same goal ... save our planet!
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.