Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Draft Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Draft Questions

Let's say there was a draft, and I was put into bootcamp. At bootcamp, and I talk back to my drill sargent who commands me to do some mundane task. I disobey. What can happen to me? if they discharge me, fine. If they send me to jail, well, I'll tell you what I'd say then if that is the case.
    "The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labour. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent." 1984, By George Orwell. Part 2: Chapter 9.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Draft Questions

Disobey, Drill Seargeants are intimidating enough its doubtful you'll disobey, but if you do...

The first thing they probably do is give you an article 15 which can mean all kinds of things as far as punishment. Keep it up and you will end up in prison.

Which war is probably a far better place than a military prison. Unless you like the idea of forced labor.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you elaborate, or give a website with more information about the article 15 or anything else that's revelant?
    "The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labour. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent." 1984, By George Orwell. Part 2: Chapter 9.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

I know that Chad's military knowledge trumps mine, but I have heard tales from servicemen about the draft from Vietnam and WWII.

You can disobey and mouth off all you want. That just means they'll send you right to the front to get blown up for your country / take a bullet so that the soldiers who paid attention can live.

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

An article 15 is a non-trial sytem that (when I was in) had limits. The typical use of it could be losing one month's pay, being restricted to the barracks. Put on "extra duty" for the entire time, (scrubbing the spotless barracks)
    When one is issued an article 15 that comes from his company commander. You can refuse to accept the article 15 at which point they will take you to trial, which if you did not prevail, your penalties could be much higher...................:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

Post Thanks / Like

So, upon entering the army, my rights given to me under the Bill of Rights are no longer existant?

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KneeLess
    So, upon entering the army, my rights given to me under the Bill of Rights are no longer existant?
    Think if it this way: one of the first things you're going to do at boot camp is sign a bunch of paperwork. As soon as you do, you're no longer fully a civilian. You are acknowledging that you are bound to another set of laws: military law. Disobeying your drill seargent isn't the same as telling your gym teacher you're not going to run laps. It's unlawful and you can be arrested by military police. Like any court case, "Well, I just felt like it!" is a REALLY lousy defense.

The bill of rights has limitation in civilian life as well. Without them, I could come over to your house, whip out an amp and yell at you at 80 decibels for hours on end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    Think if it this way: one of the first things you're going to do at boot camp is sign a bunch of paperwork
    And if I refuse to sign?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    The bill of rights has limitation in civilian life as well. Without them, I could come over to your house, whip out an amp and yell at you at 80 decibels for hours on end.
    Of course, I never really said it didn't.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

If you refuse to sign then they arrest you, give you a trial and send you to prison. That's pretty much what it comes down to for the draft: serve the country whose privelages and benefits you enjoy or go to prison. Freedom has a price. I have little doubt that in WWII, had we not assisted England / invaded Europe, Hitler would have consolidated, crushed Russia, and eventually have set his sights on taking over North America. So, being drafted into WWII was defending the nation from an immenent threat.

That being the case, to deny being drafted / mouth off to a drill sgt. / decide you just didn't want to fight was, in actuality, assisting the enemy. If everyone decided they didn't want to fight, our military would eventually have been crushed and we'd all probably be speaking Nipponese or German by now.

So, the bottom line is that being drafted forces you to comply with military law. It's not fun, but then neither is being invaded by Nazis.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me for thinking so, but I was always brought up thinking that anything interfereing with any part of the Bill of Rights is unconsitutional. Taking away my freedom of speech? Seems unconsitutional. No?