Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Democrat Cnvention = ?

I watched the Monday night festivities in Denver with my kids.

Since I am often accused of "ranting", being ...well a number of things that are absolutelty ridicuouls --- I offer for your review a few articles from two Illinois and one St. Louis newspaper about the convention.

I lost count at like 28 the number of times words lke "Chicago", "Illinois", "Springfield", etc. were used at the convention last night. Apparently, the rest of the world does not know that when we hear about Chicago as the political cradle of some great ethical, moral effective national political leader -- those of us here around Chicago quietly giggle at the inside joke! Seriously, the ones who follow politics here think it is riotously funny.

So for the greater information of people who know no better and for CC who seems to suffer from selective memory (CC is a downstater so does not have much contact with Chicago Machine Poitics). I present these articles to you, and have excerpted a few paragraphs for some readers' convenience.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...3?OpenDocument

Conspicuous by his absence in Denver...

"DENVER — Barack Obama will be re-introduced to America today by some of the Illinois politicos who know him best: his old seat mate in the state Senate; his one-time primary opponent for the U.S. Senate; the young protégé he helped get elected state treasurer.

Notably absent on the opening day of the Democratic National Convention, though, will be the state's ranking Democrat, Gov. Rod Blagojevich, with whom Obama shares a connection he presumably would rather not remind people about: Chicago Democratic fundraiser and recently convicted felon Antoin "Tony" Rezko."

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=229757

What Springfield were they talking about????

"One has to wonder today what Springfield Obama was talking about.
    Given complete control of state government, Illinois Democrats have produced unbalanced budgets, callous funding cuts, and antagonistic gridlock.
    Yet the Democratic leader Obama describes as his political mentor believed state lawmakers deserved a pay raise for their work.
    And the Democratic governor whose administration is under criminal investigation is quick to remind anyone listening of Obama's ties to those in trouble.
    Plus, the Democrat who Obama backed for Cook County Board president produced the nation's highest sales tax.

The Chicago Democrat's presidential campaign offered this comment when asked whether it was concerned about the Illinois dysfunction becoming a political problem.
    "Voters know that in Illinois and in Washington, Barack Obama stood up to members of both parties to pass sweeping ethics reforms that reduced the influence of money and special interests over the legislative process," said Illinois spokesman Justin DeJong.
    Still, while the Illinois delegation will be front-and-center when Obama takes the stage later this week, don't look for him to tout any great accomplishments from back home. The ethics legislation he championed has been deemed insufficient. The new, tougher version lawmakers sent to the governor has - in a truly Illinois move - become a bargaining chip in a battle over billions worth of government spending.
    Obama's campaign promises to bring national health care. But Illinois' venture into expanded health care has produced turmoil at every turn. Obama's idea of taxing employers who don't provide benefits to pay for health care is one that was rejected here."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,3273887.story

And when you read this Tribune story above -- keep in mind that Emil Jones, the man Obama attributes the most for his political rock-star-rise rise:

Sunday called a fellow black Alderman an "Uncle Tom" for supporting Hillary Clinton...

...and recently announced his retirement and his intention give his elected seat to his own son. "It's good to be the king"

So what is the point to all this?

Simply -- Obama's resume is razor thin. Most of it does not involve national government -- it involves Illinois government. Frankly -- the government in Illinois -- and in Cook COunty and Chicago specifically -- is a corrupt one-party system. In that government Obama was known only as an "average" Machine politician.

Obama's resume in Illinois deserves much closer scrutinty by the national media and obama supporters. How can Obama supporters with a clear conscience ignore Obama's past in Illinois and the actions of his political allies and co-conspiritors named, un-named and otherwise?
    Last edited by Spartacus; August 26th, 2008 at 07:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Democrat Cnvention = ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    How can Obama supporters with a clear conscience ignore Obama's past in Illinois and the actions of his political allies and co-conspiritors named, un-named and otherwise?
    I think voters are by now used to politicians being tied to "shady characters". The same was said and proven about George Bush and Bill Clinton, yet they both served two terms. Voters are smart enough to know when a candidate is truly corrupt. And they're smart enough to know when the other side is spinning a non-issue for political reasons. (hint hint)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Myth View Post
    I think voters are by now used to politicians being tied to "shady characters". The same was said and proven about George Bush and Bill Clinton, yet they both served two terms. Voters are smart enough to know when a candidate is truly corrupt. And they're smart enough to know when the other side is spinning a non-issue for political reasons. (hint hint)
    When voters are preseneted the facts -- they re smart enough to discern. However whn it comes to Chicago the national media has essentially ignored how corrupt it is...

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=229757

"With friends like these...

Here's a look at some of the key figures in Illinois politics and why Barack Obama might not want them in the spotlight.

Todd Stroger: Already facing claims of nepotism and cronyism regarding his ascension to Cook County Board president, Stroger then pushed a sales tax hike that makes the county's the highest in the country. Obama backed Stroger for the post. Todd Stroeger came to offcie after his father retired and gave him the presidency of the COok COunty Board.

Emil Jones Jr.:
    Obama's political mentor is an old-school Chicago Democrat who steered state money to favored institutions and got family on state payroll. Amidst recent Illinois financial gridlock, Jones wanted higher pay for lawmakers. EMil Jones recently announced his retirement and his intention to give his seat to his son. Emil Jones also recently called a Woman who supports Hillary Clinton an "Uncle Tom" at a hotel in Denver Saturday night.

Michael Madigan: After Obama's pick for state treasurer - Alexi Giannoulias - beat Madigan's in 2006, the Illinois House speaker and Democratic Party chairman contemptuously called Obama "the Messiah." They've since buried the hatchet. Accused of thwarting the governor's agenda to advance his daughter, the state's attorney general. Lisa Madigan spoke at the convention -- yeah you guessed it Michael Madigan's little girl.

Rod Blagojevich: During a recent spat with reporters, the Illinois governor repeatedly brought up Obama's name when asked about the conviction of Blagojevich's political fundraiser and adviser Tony Rezko. Blagojevich's administration is under federal investigation for its hiring and contracting practices.

Tony Rezko: Convicted this year for a multimillion-dollar state pension kickback scheme he orchestrated trading on his clout with the governor. Also had been a longtime pal of Obama who most recently helped the Obamas buy their Hyde Park mansion in 2005."

Emphasis is my addition, but is also true and if anyone doubts me I can support these claims as well. However it is wearisome having to go show people what is taken as common knowledge among people in and around Chicago who follow politics.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Wolf, I think you're partly right and partly wrong.

American's aren't stupid. We realize that politicians come into contact with thousands of people and eventually one or two of them are going to be dirtbags. And we realize that every person can do some things that may not be corrupt while appearing that they are corrupt.

The problem with Obama is the sheer volume of situations that give the appearance of impropriety and associations with people of questionable character. Those straws eventually break the camel's back.

• Tony Rezko
    • Rev. Jeremiah Wright
    • Millions in Pork to wife's employer the year after she gets a 260% pay hike
    • William Ayers

That's a serious list of legitimate concerns for voters. To demand that Obama answer questions, is not, as some would characterize it, "mudslinging".

Obama should be careful, his outright refusals to answer these questions, and strongarm tactics to try to silence these criticism will backfire on him.

Post Thanks / Like

However whn it comes to Chicago the national media has essentially ignored how corrupt it is...
    Well, the media is liberal so of course they're going to bury all anti-Obama stories. LOL.

Let me ask you, Spartacus, you sure are busy here digging up "dirt" on Obama and his past political associates. Why are spending so much time trying to discredit him? Do you feel threatened by his popularity and his very realistic chance of becoming president? Let's see some pro-McCain posts if he's your man. You should tout his record instead of slinging mud at the opponent.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me ask you, Spartacus, you sure are busy here digging up "dirt" on Obama and his past political associates. .
    Actually I'm not spending hardly anytime at all.

Just ask Hyde or anyone who lives in and around Chicago -- CC is a almost 200 miles away so he does not count -- but he too I am sure, and if pressed woud admit, to the rampant corruption in this state.

These things are everyday news articles here!

I skim a couple papers, listen to the news in the morning on the radio -- and bam. Seriously these things are everyday front-page news here.

For example:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...hosp23.article

"U. of C. shunning poor patients?
    HOSPITAL DISPUTE | Obama's wife, 3 aides tied to plan to free up space

August 23, 2008Recommend (112)

BY TIM NOVAK AND CHRIS FUSCO Staff Reporters
    Sen. Barack Obama's wife and three close advisers have been involved with a program at the University of Chicago Medical Center that steers patients who don't have private insurance -- primarily poor, black people -- to other health care facilities."

and....

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=148602

"The first day of the trial of Antoin "Tony" Rezko began as many thought, or perhaps feared, it would -- with mentions of both Gov. Rod Blagojevich and U.S. Sen. Barack Obama.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Carrie Hamilton invoked the governor seven times in her opening statement -- five times by name -- but it was Rezko's defense attorney, Joseph Duffy, who mentioned Obama, among other state and local politicians with whom Rezko worked."

Or just check out what typing in the word "nepotism" reveals for related articles on the Chocago Tribune website -- just in the last week!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/search...target=article

Seriously -- finding official corruption and scandal stories in the respected local media outlets here is shamefully just too damned easy. This is where Obama came from. He changed nothing here.
    The national media makes no mention of this even when Chicago is constantly mentioned at the DNC convention in Denver in warm glowing platitudes.

Post Thanks / Like

When posting these articles, why don't you present the whole story?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...hosp23.article...

"[University of Chicago] Medical center officials and Obama's presidential campaign staff say the Urban Health Initiative will dramatically improve health care for thousands of South Side residents. They say that, rather than having to wait hours at U. of C.'s emergency room, those patients get seen sooner and at less expense at neighborhood clinics and other hospitals. U. of C. even offers them a ride on a shuttle bus to other centers and sometimes provides the doctors at those facilities."

and

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=148602...

"Aside from the association of knowing a man now on trial for fraud and extortion, nothing Duffy described directly tainted the U.S. senator and presidential hopeful. "

Spartacus, you aren't trying to deceive us now, are you?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE]
    When posting these articles, why don't you present the whole story?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...hosp23.article...

"[University of Chicago] Medical center officials and Obama's presidential campaign staff say the Urban Health Initiative will dramatically improve health care for thousands of South Side residents. They say that, rather than having to wait hours at U. of C.'s emergency room, those patients get seen sooner and at less expense at neighborhood clinics and other hospitals. U. of C. even offers them a ride on a shuttle bus to other centers and sometimes provides the doctors at those facilities."
    Wolf,
    Those are just rebuttals by the very people accused of the behavior in question. Of course they're going to attempt to put their actions in a positivie light. That doesn't mean their statements have any bearings on what the facts are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cds69 View Post
    Wolf,
    Those are just rebuttals by the very people accused of the behavior in question. Of course they're going to attempt to put their actions in a positivie light. That doesn't mean their statements have any bearings on what the facts are.
    Are you saying the program in question will not give poorer residents better, faster care?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying the program in question will not give poorer residents better, faster care?
    Are you saying the program doesn't steer poor black people without private insurance to other facilities?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying the program doesn't steer poor black people without private insurance to other facilities?
    Why do you have to answer my question with a question?

Yes, the program steers the non-insured to more affordable medical facilities where they can get faster, less expensive care. I work in a hospital, and when we were in dispute with Blue Cross we had to refer BC patients to other facilities. If there were life-threatening injuries however, we'd stabalize them and then transport them. Hospitals have to watch their bottom line like another other organization. Handouts do not keep the doors open. UOC Medical Center can now spend more time on the more urgent cases, like respiratory distress or head injuries, rather than the kid with the earache. I would think if a non-insured patient came in with a life-threatening injury, they would treat them per hospital protocol.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you have to answer my question with a question?

Yes, the program steers the non-insured to more affordable medical facilities where they can get faster, less expensive care. I work in a hospital, and when we were in dispute with Blue Cross we had to refer BC patients to other facilities. If there were life-threatening injuries however, we'd stabalize them and then transport them. Hospitals have to watch their bottom line like another other organization. Handouts do not keep the doors open. UOC Medical Center can now spend more time on the more urgent cases, like respiratory distress or head injuries, rather than the kid with the earache. I would think if a non-insured patient came in with a life-threatening injury, they would treat them per hospital protocol.
    For poor, uninsured people in need of treatment, affordability isn't an issue, because they don't pay anyway. So this program is specifically targeted at decreasing uncompensated care. This from a hospital that sees revenues of close to a billion dollars. Seemingly hypocritical for someone who advocates Universal Health Care.

Post Thanks / Like

So this program is specifically targeted at decreasing uncompensated care.
    And it's also a way to thin out the ER so urgent, high priority cases can receive more attention.

The question is, are non-insured patients receiving better, more timely care under this program? I'd have to dig deeper to find out.

At any rate, this is another non-issue that will be spun to death by the opposition.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

At any rate, this is another non-issue that will be spun to death by the opposition.
    As you and I have proven, there are so many variables involved, I don't think the big boys will bother to spin this very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Spartacus, you aren't trying to deceive us now, are you?
    I love it.

You rebutt a news item I bring here, with a quote that admitts to doing exactly what I showed it did -- namely steers poor uninsured black people away of Michelle Obama's hospital to other hospitals. I could go on and on about this -- siuffice it to say the neighboring hospitals are not real happy with it.

So let's try another one.

How woud you rebutt this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...1570658.column

"Rezko's letter should put Obama, governor on alert
    John Kass
    June 13, 2008
    The last thing Sen. Barack Obama and Gov. Rod Blagojevich needed was that letter written by convicted Illinois influence peddler Tony Rezko promising he'd never rat out his pals.

The imprisoned political fixer insisted that federal prosecutors are squeezing him, according to an exclusive Tribune report written by federal courts reporter Jeff Coen for Thursday's paper.

"They are pressuring me to tell them the 'wrong' things that I supposedly know about Governor Blagojevich and Senator Obama," the fundraiser (and Obama's personal real estate fairy) wrote in a letter to U.S. District Judge Amy St. Eve.

"I have never been a party to any wrongdoing that involved the Governor or the Senator," Rezko argued. "I will never fabricate lies about anyone else for selfish purposes. I will take whatever comes my way, but I will never hurt innocent people."

Amen, Tony. But those who say nothing don't brag. They shut up.

Yet those who promise to say nothing, and promise it loudly, often have much to say later, in a calm and rational voice, meekly from the witness box."

Yes that is right folks -- Tony rezko wrote a letter from prison promising not to rat out his friends -- Barrack Obama and Ill Gov. Rod Blagojavich. If he truly had nothing on these two Illinois politicians, why would he feel the need to threaten them with inuendo?

It is an open scret -- make that no secret -- that Blagojavich is not appearing at the DNC convention in Denver precisely because of this issue. But Obama is.

Is the American electorate entitled to know that a convicted felon, in prison right now, might have something on a man who is almost president?

Should this be a national news story?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the media is liberal so of course they're going to bury all anti-Obama stories. LOL.

Let me ask you, Spartacus, you sure are busy here digging up "dirt" on Obama and his past political associates. Why are spending so much time trying to discredit him? Do you feel threatened by his popularity and his very realistic chance of becoming president? Let's see some pro-McCain posts if he's your man. You should tout his record instead of slinging mud at the opponent.
    Spartacus has to point out these things in order for the Obama sheep to see what their candidate is really about. He may be a junior senator, but he is already knee deep in corrupt politics as you can see.
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

Post Thanks / Like

You rebutt a news item I bring here, with a quote that admitts to doing exactly what I showed it did -- namely steers poor uninsured black people away of Michelle Obama's hospital to other hospitals. I could go on and on about this -- siuffice it to say the neighboring hospitals are not real happy with it.
    Well, you didn't "show" anything, that's what the program is about. LOL. Also, please cite evidence of neighboring hospitals not being "happy with it." Somehow I suspect you will go silent on this.

Is the American electorate entitled to know that a convicted felon, in prison right now, might have something on a man who is almost president?
    Another LOL. Rezko flat out states "I have never been a party to any wrongdoing that involved the Governor or the Senator [Obama]. I will never fabricate lies about anyone else for selfish purposes. I will take whatever comes my way, but I will never hurt innocent people."

And somehow you want be to believe he is refusing to rat out his friends? I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid. Try that on Hannity, not me.

This is my favorite part of the article:

"Obama's supporters don't know exactly what Obama believes in, but they seem not to care."

Just slightly shows the author's bias.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE]
    Well, you didn't "show" anything, that's what the program is about. LOL. Also, please cite evidence of neighboring hospitals not being "happy with it." Somehow I suspect you will go silent on this.
    "The medical professionals who have come to me are accusing the university of dumping patients on its neighboring institutions. ... Whether it's being implemented in the way that's in the best interest of the patient, I can't tell you."

-Alderman Toni Preckwinkle, whose 4th Ward is just north of the hospital.

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

Another LOL. Rezko flat out states "I have never been a party to any wrongdoing that involved the Governor or the Senator [Obama]. I will never fabricate lies about anyone else for selfish purposes. I will take whatever comes my way, but I will never hurt innocent people."
    I'm sorry, isn't this the same Tony Rezko who pleaded innocent to all charges? Was he lying? Did he lie then and now, or just then, or just now?
    Last edited by cds69; August 26th, 2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

"The medical professionals who have come to me are accusing the university of dumping patients on its neighboring institutions. ... Whether it's being implemented in the way that's in the best interest of the patient, I can't tell you."?
    Doesn't prove that neighboring facilities are not happy. Read the quote again with your critical thinking goggles on.

I'm sorry, isn't this the same Tony Rezko who pleaded innocent to all charges? Was he lying? Did he lie then and now, or just then, or just now?
    Doesn't matter if he's lying or telling the truth. If there's evidence that Obama broke the law, then show that evidence. Don't try this quilty by association nonsense. McCain is just as guilty of that.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

"The medical professionals who have come to me are accusing the university of dumping patients on its neighboring institutions. ... Whether it's being implemented in the way that's in the best interest of the patient, I can't tell you."?

Doesn't prove that neighboring facilities are not happy. Read the quote again with your critical thinking goggles on.
    What? Do you actually go through life with this kind of thought process? What part of the quote indicates anything other than displeasure with the situation?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast