This is a subject I haven't researched yet. What is the best way to swat a fly? I would say an electric zapper the size of a tennis racket gives you the best chance. Should you sneak up behind the fly, come straight down or aim for the head?
This advice is just ridiculous:
Choose a fly swatter. They are designed to kill or stun the fly without squashing it all over the place. However, if you don't have a fly swatter, a rolled up newspaper works just fine.
Wait until the fly has landed on a wall, window or table surface. For best results, you should wait until the fly is on a flat surface so that your fly swatter or rolled up newspaper can completely flatten out on top of the fly.
Hold your fly swatter or newspaper about one foot away from the fly. Make sure you remain still so as not to startle the fly and cause it to start flying around again.
Flick your wrist quickly toward the fly causing the flat part of the fly swatter, or the end of the rolled up newspaper, to land on the fly.
Clean up the fly immediately and throw it outside. Often times, the fly is not dead, but merely stunned, and throwing it in the trash inside does not necessarily mean you have rid yourself of the fly.
This is better (I love the last line):
How to Swat a Fly Without a Fly Swatter
- placed so that the palms face the fly and your fingers should be together as if you were about to slap something. Also, your hands should be about 1" off the surface on which the fly is sitting.
- Slowly close in on the fly as if you were going to capture it by sandwiching it between your hands (vertical positioning of hands.)
- When your hands get about 6" away from the fly (on each side), quickly clap them together directly ABOVE the fly - this is imperative.
- There is another way to accomplish this. Hold one hand ("first" hand) as if you were going to swat the fly with it. Then, use the other hand ("second" hand) to hold back your first hand (try doing this on the finger tips). Using the second hand as a release mechanism, catapult your first hand at the fly. I did this today for the first time and it worked like a charm.
- You could also hit it with a rolled-up newspaper.
- Flies are one of the dirtiest creatures around. Although it may seem to be common sense, you must wash your hands with soap and warm water. Do not just wipe your hands.
- Some flies like to play around with people and fly faster and around so watch out they may trick you and you could have serious injuries, including knocking things down. Kill them before this happens or you will be killed.