Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Fly swatting

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Fly swatting

This is a subject I haven't researched yet. What is the best way to swat a fly? I would say an electric zapper the size of a tennis racket gives you the best chance. Should you sneak up behind the fly, come straight down or aim for the head?

This advice is just ridiculous:

Step1
    Choose a fly swatter. They are designed to kill or stun the fly without squashing it all over the place. However, if you don't have a fly swatter, a rolled up newspaper works just fine.
    Step2
    Wait until the fly has landed on a wall, window or table surface. For best results, you should wait until the fly is on a flat surface so that your fly swatter or rolled up newspaper can completely flatten out on top of the fly.
    Step3
    Hold your fly swatter or newspaper about one foot away from the fly. Make sure you remain still so as not to startle the fly and cause it to start flying around again.
    Step4
    Flick your wrist quickly toward the fly causing the flat part of the fly swatter, or the end of the rolled up newspaper, to land on the fly.
    Step5
    Clean up the fly immediately and throw it outside. Often times, the fly is not dead, but merely stunned, and throwing it in the trash inside does not necessarily mean you have rid yourself of the fly.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2155570_swat...paign=yssp_art

This is better (I love the last line):

How to Swat a Fly Without a Fly Swatter
    1. placed so that the palms face the fly and your fingers should be together as if you were about to slap something. Also, your hands should be about 1" off the surface on which the fly is sitting.
    2. Slowly close in on the fly as if you were going to capture it by sandwiching it between your hands (vertical positioning of hands.)
    3. When your hands get about 6" away from the fly (on each side), quickly clap them together directly ABOVE the fly - this is imperative.
    Tips

• There is another way to accomplish this. Hold one hand ("first" hand) as if you were going to swat the fly with it. Then, use the other hand ("second" hand) to hold back your first hand (try doing this on the finger tips). Using the second hand as a release mechanism, catapult your first hand at the fly. I did this today for the first time and it worked like a charm.
    • You could also hit it with a rolled-up newspaper.

Warnings

• Flies are one of the dirtiest creatures around. Although it may seem to be common sense, you must wash your hands with soap and warm water. Do not just wipe your hands.
    • Some flies like to play around with people and fly faster and around so watch out they may trick you and you could have serious injuries, including knocking things down. Kill them before this happens or you will be killed.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly swatting

I once had a small infestation of flies in my basement.

I used an old shirt and whipped them. This works best if they are on a solid surface, although I managed to knock many out the air.
    Witty puns...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I was looking for - a simple trap:

Take an empty jar and place a small amount of apple cider vinegar or a bit of banana in it. Tape some plastic wrap over the top of the jar and poke some small holes in it with a pen or toothpick. The fruit flies will go in, but will not be able to get out. You can also line the jar with a sticky substance, like honey. The fruit flies will be attracted to the honey and will get stuck to it. http://www.professorshouse.com/food-beverage/food/how-to-kill-fruit-flies.aspx
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

We have fly traps in SA, I am sure you must have it on that side of the pond as well?

You put it outside of course, but the flies rather go to the fly trap than into your house, and it really works.

If I do come across the one that got lost on his way to the fly trap I simply take chop sticks and catch it, I then take it outside and tell it to go to the fly trap.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, when you've got to be sure the fly is dead, there is only one way. The M81 claymore mine,
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I like to opt for some rolled up newspaper. I hunt down the fly (after half killing it with bug spray) while it is writhing and buzzing like mad on the floor, and I swat the **** out of it. If newspaper is not at hand, a show will do just fine. Just ground the little bastard into the carpet and he'll never bother you again.
    Frozen In Time Yearning Forbidden Wishes Damned And Divine
    Scars Of My Broken Kisses What Will Follow If Tomorrow's Blind? My Eternal Night.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarja Turunen View Post
    I like to opt for some rolled up newspaper. I hunt down the fly (after half killing it with bug spray) while it is writhing and buzzing like mad on the floor, and I swat the **** out of it. If newspaper is not at hand, a show will do just fine. Just ground the little bastard into the carpet and he'll never bother you again.
    Gosh you are a vicious girl.

I have to share this with you guys. My husband used to smoke and when he was a student he always had these very strange ways of dealing with a fly that is a pest. He tortured them that I even felt sorry for it. I know....I love bugs I can't help it.

Anyway, what he did is not kill it, oh no. The fly had to suffer. So one method he used was to catch the fly and put it into the plastic that was around a packet of cigarettes. The fly is now trapped, so then he will blow smoke into this trap. Believe me, the fly got dizzy. So when the fly was dizzy, he will take a piece of thin string and tie it around the fly's neck, very gently of course. The fly which are dizzy is of course unable to get away. So he takes a piece of prestic and firmly press one end of the string against the wall with the fly looking like a dog on a leash.

The fly will sit on the wall and when it tries to fly away, it can't. He will let it sit there for days, until it dies. Cruel.

Another thing he used to do is to drown the fly and then shower it in salt again, then it start living again.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Dude, when you've got to be sure the fly is dead, there is only one way. The M81 claymore mine,

That tactic tends to wake and annoy the neighbours, and just as likely waste their pet pooch or moggy. I think Health and Safety might also take issue. Back to the drawing board methinks.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    Gosh you are a vicious girl.

I have to share this with you guys. My husband used to smoke and when he was a student he always had these very strange ways of dealing with a fly that is a pest. He tortured them that I even felt sorry for it. I know....I love bugs I can't help it.

Anyway, what he did is not kill it, oh no. The fly had to suffer. So one method he used was to catch the fly and put it into the plastic that was around a packet of cigarettes. The fly is now trapped, so then he will blow smoke into this trap. Believe me, the fly got dizzy. So when the fly was dizzy, he will take a piece of thin string and tie it around the fly's neck, very gently of course. The fly which are dizzy is of course unable to get away. So he takes a piece of prestic and firmly press one end of the string against the wall with the fly looking like a dog on a leash.

The fly will sit on the wall and when it tries to fly away, it can't. He will let it sit there for days, until it dies. Cruel.

Another thing he used to do is to drown the fly and then shower it in salt again, then it start living again.
    Your husband is a legend. How on earth can you put string around a flies neck? It's so small, he must have very nimble hands.

I can't believe you like flies. That's like liking cockroaches, and they are just...well, lets just say that if I see one, I jump on the nearest table, chair, or whatever. I'm convinced it's going to grow into this giant bug that you see on the movies...
    Frozen In Time Yearning Forbidden Wishes Damned And Divine
    Scars Of My Broken Kisses What Will Follow If Tomorrow's Blind? My Eternal Night.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarja Turunen View Post
    Your husband is a legend. How on earth can you put string around a flies neck? It's so small, he must have very nimble hands.

I can't believe you like flies. That's like liking cockroaches, and they are just...well, lets just say that if I see one, I jump on the nearest table, chair, or whatever. I'm convinced it's going to grow into this giant bug that you see on the movies...

lol I don't like flies, I kill them. I just don't like to torture them.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Awww don't kill them! They're fun to watch! So are cockroaches.
    Empty.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderWright View Post
    Awww don't kill them! They're fun to watch! So are cockroaches.
    Are you sure you took your medicines lately? haha just kidding Alex

They are definitely not fun to watch. I feel like Tarja when it comes to cockroaches, they are disgusting creatures.

I did watch some interesting science projects that they did with cockroaches though, and that was interesting. I saw them putting them on a mini tredmill to study the way they run. I think they did it to research the design of combat vehicles or something in that line.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

lol flies can be annoying sometimes but cockroaches are cute!...unless they're really big...then BURN!!!
    Empty.

Post Thanks / Like

EWWW, cockroaches are nasty!
    And flies are ALWAYS annoying!
    The truth about forever is forever never comes. The truth about today is that it only last until tomorrow. The truth about tomorrow is that its just another day.
    Keep sayin' my name baby, 'cause haters make me FAMOUS
    Jayson Micheal was born April 6, 2009 :-D

ODN Community Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the only way they know how to be, just understand and forgive them!
    Empty.

Post Thanks / Like

What hell no i ain't forgiving no fly. (excuse my terribly grammar)

The claymore is a good idea but an even better on is a flamethrower. It doesn't cuase a bit of collateral damage though. works best in open field.......................

M81=point away from face and boom

flyswatting wasps is awesome. it only stuns them if you hit htem in the air but if the hit a wall they gone for sure.

If you have a butterfly net and no fly swatter you can always catch the flies and bees and then squish em with your foot or hand...............

it is quite amusing although it is not advisable to squish bees/wasps with your hand. the management of this establishment is in no way responsible for stings on the hand and/or fingers resulting from attempts to squish said creatures with ones hands. Thank you come again.
    "Woo good things do happen to bad people" Homer Simpson
    "Oh I have 3 kids and no money, why can't I have no kids and 3 money" Homer Simpson
    "Cluster Bombing is very, very accurate. The bomblets are guaranteed to hit the ground" US Air Force Manual.
    "Piss off a liberal, Buy a Gun" Bumper Sticker

Post Thanks / Like

What a waste of a thread. If I started this, some mods would neg rep me.

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

Snoop - cool avatar though!
    Last edited by onalandline; August 30th, 2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

ODN Community Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no we wasted another thread! We're running out! We must stop wasting them!
    Empty.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol
    "Woo good things do happen to bad people" Homer Simpson
    "Oh I have 3 kids and no money, why can't I have no kids and 3 money" Homer Simpson
    "Cluster Bombing is very, very accurate. The bomblets are guaranteed to hit the ground" US Air Force Manual.
    "Piss off a liberal, Buy a Gun" Bumper Sticker