Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Possible Cause of Racism.

    There are all kinds of race-specific organizations, celebrations, tributes, recognitions, etc. that we see year round. Some examples are the NAACP, Black History Month, the Hispanic Pride Parade, the United Negro College Fund, etc.

    Do you think that these types of things fuel racism?

    Would it be a problem to have the same things for whites, such as the NAAWP, the White Pride Parade, etc?

    I believe that racism will always exist as long as these types of race-specific things are allowed to continue.

    Your thoughts?
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

  2. #2
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    It's a fair question, I think. I find it rather unfair that an Hispanic Pride Parade is acceptable, but if a White Pride Parade were to be organised, people would likely cry racism.
    I guess it is important to learn about history, and about the history of influential black people, but an entire month dedicated to learning about black people/history? What about Hispanic month? Or any other month that doesn't involve learning about white people or black people?
    I am not sure if any of this causes racism - in my opinion, the biggest cause of racism is simple ignorance, but perhaps if there was none of this celebration, people would have nothing to complain about.
    On the other hand though, it is important to celebrate your history and learn about your culture, etc.

    I can't really say anything more than that. We don't have any pride parades (apart from the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras) and we don't have any kind of 'Black History Month' etc like you guys do.
    Frozen In Time Yearning Forbidden Wishes Damned And Divine
    Scars Of My Broken Kisses What Will Follow If Tomorrow's Blind? My Eternal Night.

  3. #3
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,901
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    There are all kinds of race-specific organizations, celebrations, tributes, recognitions, etc. that we see year round. Some examples are the NAACP, Black History Month, the Hispanic Pride Parade, the United Negro College Fund, etc.

    Do you think that these types of things fuel racism?
    It will fuel racism if all groups are not allowed to do it.

    Would it be a problem to have the same things for whites, such as the NAAWP, the White Pride Parade, etc?
    I can tell you one thing. If such a group is started where I live they all will be called racists for sure.

    I am however for the celebration of different cultures. Every person needs to understand where he comes from and what part of the history he is fulfilling. It gives you a feeling of belonging to a specific group of people, and it should not be about the colour of your skin. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage, culture and history.

    I believe that racism will always exist as long as these types of race-specific things are allowed to continue.

    Your thoughts?
    You are right, racism will always be there and IMO it will never be eradicated for good.

    Tolerance and understanding of each specific race is vital. Without that, racism can lead to discrimination, which must be prevented at all costs. Nobody likes to be discriminated against for a stupid reason like the colour of your skin.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    It will fuel racism if all groups are not allowed to do it.



    I can tell you one thing. If such a group is started where I live they all will be called racists for sure.

    I am however for the celebration of different cultures. Every person needs to understand where he comes from and what part of the history he is fulfilling. It gives you a feeling of belonging to a specific group of people, and it should not be about the colour of your skin. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage, culture and history.



    You are right, racism will always be there and IMO it will never be eradicated for good.

    Tolerance and understanding of each specific race is vital. Without that, racism can lead to discrimination, which must be prevented at all costs. Nobody likes to be discriminated against for a stupid reason like the colour of your skin.
    There is no such thing as racism. Only cultureism. What fuels the hate is ignorance and intolerance of each other's culture. The color of someone other's skin can not possibly offend me. His/her conduct? Oh yes.
    I don't always understand their ways, and sometimes I simply refuse to.
    There's a racket in hell, and there's a boat on the river.

  5. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,901
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    There is no such thing as racism. Only cultureism.
    You can maybe say that about SA where we have so many different cultures, but what about a place like the USA?

    I think some of the communities in the USA and even the UK are so westernized that cultureism is almost none existent.

    So what will you call discrimination against a group based on their skin colour in a country like that?

    What fuels the hate is ignorance and intolerance of each other's culture. The color of someone other's skin can not possibly offend me. His/her conduct? Oh yes.
    I don't always understand their ways, and sometimes I simply refuse to.
    I agree with you 100% on this point.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  6. #6
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    There are all kinds of race-specific organizations, celebrations, tributes, recognitions, etc. that we see year round. Some examples are the NAACP, Black History Month, the Hispanic Pride Parade, the United Negro College Fund, etc.

    Do you think that these types of things fuel racism?
    I would say that Racist individuals must hate these types of things. I think these parades and groups must totally fuel anger.

    ... I noticed that Tarja talked about the Black History Month. And to be honest i totally agree. Why does a specific race get a whole month dedicated to them. Im half sri-lankan and half english. I dont see any 'White history month' or 'Brown history month'. Which is wrong.

    However i dont believe these things can make a person become racist, you know, out of jealousy or wateva.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    Would it be a problem to have the same things for whites, such as the NAAWP, the White Pride Parade, etc?
    I dont think it would be a problem. Black people arent going to turn around and say... 'Hey your not allowed anything, only people with colour in their skin may have parades, Month's and groups'

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    I believe that racism will always exist as long as these types of race-specific things are allowed to continue.
    I Agree.

    I feel that we should move on. You know. Racism still goes on, of course. We need to get that ignorance out of the world. These race specific things, can i suppose fuel racist behaviour. At the same time, where is the line between, Celebrating your race and Celebrating that your race is superior. I say that because a lot of groups of people are overshadowed by things like parades specifically for one race.
    .::The Swindall::.

    "...In the beginning, man created god"

  7. #7
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    951
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    Would it be a problem to have the same things for whites, such as the NAAWP, the White Pride Parade, etc?
    Yeah, white people never have any parades where they show their pride for their culture...






    ...oops.

    My favorite part is when the guy says (starting at about 1:25 in):

    See the spirit of the St. Patricks day is all the different cultures coming out and recognizing how much superior the Irish culture is to every other culture in the world.
    EDIT: Oh yeah... and don't forget these type of parades that also go down:


  8. #8
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    There are all kinds of race-specific organizations, celebrations, tributes, recognitions, etc. that we see year round. Some examples are the NAACP, Black History Month, the Hispanic Pride Parade, the United Negro College Fund, etc.

    Do you think that these types of things fuel racism?
    I don't think they fuel racism if you take into account the concept of "white guilt" - i.e., the feelings that, because white people (or at least their forefathers) commited atrocities against a particular group, and because they are the most powerful (i.e., wealthiest) "race" on Earth, that racism against them, and excluding them from the rights of other "races", such as the right to make a comment about another person's race without being considered a racist, is justified. I actually think this is the reason why so many white people, particularly upper class, white liberals, are so interested in exotic practices, such as Kabbalah, Yoga, and other Eastern arts. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with being interested in other cultures and their practices. I myself live in South Korea and have been studying martial arts for over seven years. What irritates me is when people study them or are interested in them purely because they're exotic and foreign, and use them more as a fashion statement rather than ever developing a true interest in them.

    There is, of course, also the social stigma of being thought of as a racist for having such beliefs. For that reason, I don't think most white people would open their mouths or express much objection to these groups and practices.

    Would it be a problem to have the same things for whites, such as the NAAWP, the White Pride Parade, etc?
    Would it be? Probably. Should it be? No. White people have just as much right to feel proud of who they are as blacks, asians, hispanics, or any other "racial" or cultural minority.

    I believe that racism will always exist as long as these types of race-specific things are allowed to continue.
    Technically, if there's any difference, there's going to be people who hate others for that difference. It doesn't matter whether you're talking about race, sex, sexuality, religion, food choice, type of clothing, whatever.

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by czahar View Post
    I don't think they fuel racism if you take into account the concept of "white guilt" - i.e., the feelings that, because white people (or at least their forefathers) commited atrocities against a particular group, and because they are the most powerful (i.e., wealthiest) "race" on Earth, that racism against them, and excluding them from the rights of other "races", such as the right to make a comment about another person's race without being considered a racist, is justified. I actually think this is the reason why so many white people, particularly upper class, white liberals, are so interested in exotic practices, such as Kabbalah, Yoga, and other Eastern arts. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with being interested in other cultures and their practices. I myself live in South Korea and have been studying martial arts for over seven years. What irritates me is when people study them or are interested in them purely because they're exotic and foreign, and use them more as a fashion statement rather than ever developing a true interest in them.
    I am trained in martial arts. I did it just to learn another way of self-defense.

    There is, of course, also the social stigma of being thought of as a racist for having such beliefs. For that reason, I don't think most white people would open their mouths or express much objection to these groups and practices.
    I agree.

    Would it be? Probably. Should it be? No. White people have just as much right to feel proud of who they are as blacks, asians, hispanics, or any other "racial" or cultural minority.
    Your damn right.

    Technically, if there's any difference, there's going to be people who hate others for that difference. It doesn't matter whether you're talking about race, sex, sexuality, religion, food choice, type of clothing, whatever.
    True. I think racism is here to stay, just like terrorism.
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

  10. #10
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    9,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    There are all kinds of race-specific organizations, celebrations, tributes, recognitions, etc. that we see year round. Some examples are the NAACP, Black History Month, the Hispanic Pride Parade, the United Negro College Fund, etc.

    Do you think that these types of things fuel racism?

    Would it be a problem to have the same things for whites, such as the NAAWP, the White Pride Parade, etc?

    I believe that racism will always exist as long as these types of race-specific things are allowed to continue.

    Your thoughts?
    I think you are putting the cart before the horse.

    Those organizations are not a cause of racism. Racism is the cause for those organizations.

    When there is no more racism, those organizations will be irrelevant and will vanish.

    Getting rid of them will not eliminate the reason for their existence. And attempting to get rid of them will cause more racial problems than the organizations themselves cause.

  11. #11
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    I think you are putting the cart before the horse.

    Those organizations are not a cause of racism. Racism is the cause for those organizations.

    When there is no more racism, those organizations will be irrelevant and will vanish.

    Getting rid of them will not eliminate the reason for their existence. And attempting to get rid of them will cause more racial problems than the organizations themselves cause.
    I disagree. It pisses me off to see race-specific anything. How about I started the National Association for the Advancement of White People (NAAWP)? I know you will say that Whites have the advantage and we don't need it, but if we want to get rid of the bitterness that racism creates, we need to eliminate race-specifics.
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

  12. #12
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Zombie View Post
    Yeah, white people never have any parades where they show their pride for their culture...






    ...oops.
    I liked the bit where the woman said ... 'Everyone is Irish on St.Patricks day'... How dare she.. Tell me im Irish on a day that has no affiliation with me. The cheek....

    I think you'll find you quoted him saying.. 'White pride parade'. If you think St.Patricks day is that, then you are mistaken. They are celebrating the patron saint of Ireland, not celebrating being white.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patrick's_Day ...To help
    .::The Swindall::.

    "...In the beginning, man created god"

  13. #13
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    9,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    I disagree. It pisses me off to see race-specific
    anything.
    I thought this debate is about the causes of racism, not what pisses you off.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    How about I started the National Association for the Advancement of White People (NAAWP)? I know you will say that Whites have the advantage and we don't need it
    Exactly. The difference between the disadvantaged minorities and the people in power is the difference between the NAACP and WAACP.

    And it's not like there aren't whites-only groups already in existence.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    but if we want to get rid of the bitterness that racism creates, we need to eliminate race-specifics.
    Again, you are putting the cart before the horse. Get rid of racism and the things that are caused by racism will vanish.

    Racism is the disease and race-specifics is the symptom. Getting rid of the symptoms does not eliminate the disease, but getting rid of the disease eliminates the symptoms.

  14. #14
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    I think you are putting the cart before the horse.

    Those organizations are not a cause of racism. Racism is the cause for those organizations.

    When there is no more racism, those organizations will be irrelevant and will vanish.

    Getting rid of them will not eliminate the reason for their existence. And attempting to get rid of them will cause more racial problems than the organizations themselves cause.
    I don't think the NAACP would vanish if there were no more racism. God knows the British aren't threatening us anymore, but the 2nd Amendment is in full swing.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    You can maybe say that about SA where we have so many different cultures, but what about a place like the USA?
    Between 1820 and 1979, the United States admitted more than 49 million immigrants. Unless they've got their heads in the sand, I think they have a much bigger problem than we do. If not, they soon will.
    Last edited by ladyphoenix; September 2nd, 2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag
    There's a racket in hell, and there's a boat on the river.

  16. #16
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Underneath the mountains
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    Your thoughts?
    Lol, no. I'd post more reasoning but, I have to run to work and then school. I'll post this afternoon or evening.

    With luv,
    BD
    We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

  17. #17
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    According to Christians, just south of heaven
    Posts
    1,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Racism exists only in the mind of people that wish to be offended sometimes.

    It's ridiculouin my opinion to get upset about BET and there not being a WET. I kow when I turn on the tub eit's a white dominated airway. Most of the actor's are white and most of the shows deal iwth things that only white folks would give a flip about.

    To say that the NAACP, BET, Black History month or anything of the sort is racist....is just...ignorant.

    What funny is that NOBODY has figured out that Black History month is FEBRUARY....potential the SHORTEST month of the year. Talk about a smack in the face. All that black pride stuff and the best a white dude can do is hand down the short month?

    White people.....just wait about 10-15 more years. The hispanics will make you a minority and THEN you can get your own TV stations, history months, and ******** sepratist groups also.

    If the playhing field was level.....we wouldn't have all those things that white folks hate to see others have.

    In Heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here.

    Rogue Cardinal, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate


  18. #18
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    9,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Cause of Racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by czahar View Post
    I don't think the NAACP would vanish if there were no more racism.
    Why would a completely irrelevant group continue to exist?


    Quote Originally Posted by czahar View Post
    God knows the British aren't threatening us anymore, but the 2nd Amendment is in full swing.
    The second amendment is not about the British. It's about the right to bear arms.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Racism : Just a harmless joke?
    By Swellips in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
  2. Is it racism?
    By southernbelle in forum General Debate
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: July 5th, 2006, 04:29 PM
  3. Is patriotism racism?
    By fatuitous in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: May 13th, 2006, 06:07 AM
  4. THIS is racism...
    By Slipnish in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May 12th, 2006, 02:32 PM
  5. Natural Racism
    By KneeLess in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •