Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are you reading right now?

Soon to start on Dante's Purgatorio.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

Post Thanks / Like

Sherlock Holmes volume 2.
    I am Hippo

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angryhippo View Post
    Sherlock Holmes volume 2.
    You rock! I love Sherlock Holmes.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone read Malcom Gladwell? The Tipping Point, Blink, or Outliers?

I am still up in the air on these "everyeman" research books (like Freakonomics). They are fun to read and make grand points with ancedotal stories; however, I don't know if they are just pseudo-intellectual or really great bridge between research and real life?

Opinions, anyone?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Almayer's Folley - Joseph Conrad
    The Sparrow, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate

Post Thanks / Like

I read Lord Jim a while back, it was really good.
    I am Hippo

Post Thanks / Like

I read a little bit of Dante's inferno, but it didn't seem that interesting to me. Was I missing something?

Also, i was considering reading Pantagruel and Gargantua (wikisource.org is the most amazing thing I've come across lately, but being on the computer for that long tends to pwn my eyes) and i was wondering if it was at all worth the read?

I was also looking at reading Hippocrates, but a lot of his writing seemed to be about medical stuff, like hemorrhoids and ulcers. If someone could point at what to look at, i would be thankful.
    I am Hippo

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I read Lord Jim a while back, it was really good.
    Depressing though.

Heart of Darkness is his greatest IMO (and possibly one of the greatest novels ever), although I haven't read Nostromo yet.

There's an awesome movie version of 'The Secret Agent' starring Bob Hoskins that's worth a look too.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I read a little bit of Dante's inferno, but it didn't seem that interesting to me. Was I missing something?
    Very much so.

If the language is too heady (tends to be a little bizarre for most), there's a couple versions that make it easier to read. One (which I happened across and read), is a copy of Purgatorio, with the language modernised to make it easier, and the illustrations (done in a similar style to the original etchings), are also made to appear contemporary, which helps it appeal to more people.

Personally, I didn't care for it because, to me, the story loses something when the language is fudged with, though the reference to the former California governor who "Forgot to balance the books" was pretty funny.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Very much so.

If the language is too heady (tends to be a little bizarre for most), there's a couple versions that make it easier to read. One (which I happened across and read), is a copy of Purgatorio, with the language modernised to make it easier, and the illustrations (done in a similar style to the original etchings), are also made to appear contemporary, which helps it appeal to more people.

Personally, I didn't care for it because, to me, the story loses something when the language is fudged with, though the reference to the former California governor who "Forgot to balance the books" was pretty funny.

It wasn't that, it was that a thought it was dry reading. just a guy watching people get punished.
    I am Hippo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently reading The Taqwacores by Michael Muhammad Knight, and Rousseau's political philosophy.
    Salaam/Shalom/Peace

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't that, it was that a thought it was dry reading. just a guy watching people get punished.
    So it's like reading about a guy watching reality tv, to you? It gets better. You gotta put yourself in Dante's shoes, develop a sick sense of humor, and imagine mocking their suffering, "Ooooh, boiling in a lake of blood? That's gotta suck! Looks you're drowning in a giant's period-ridden vagina!"

I just started on "Silent Bob Speaks" by Kevin Smith (who, like myself, believes Hal Jordan is the true Green Lantern), and I'm about to start on "Party Girl" by Anna David.

Post Thanks / Like

Still slogging through All The Pretty Horses, but after that I want to find Tom Jones and then, this summer, Fever Dream comes out by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. A Pendergast novel set in Louisiana! Anyone else here read their work?
    "The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those, who, in times of great moral crisis, reserve their neutrality."-Dante

!@#$%^&*()_+Loller65+_()*&^%$#@!

Post Thanks / Like

I read most of Rene Descartes Meditation on First philosophy. I read the first 4 meditations, the first 3 were great, but then it got dry.
    I am Hippo

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Just started on Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and I'm about to start on "Brainwash: THe Secret History of Mind Control".

And I'm trying to talk the library into getting Alex Jones' book, "9-11: Descent Into Tyranny"

Banned Indefinitely

The People's Republic of Wyoming (also known as Dick's Head)
    Post Thanks / Like

Animal Farm By George Orwell and next im gonna read A Midsummer's Night Dream

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdams View Post
    Animal Farm By George Orwell and next im gonna read A Midsummer's Night Dream
    Greatest satire using animals on a farm ever written.

Just started on Chasing Ghosts by Paul Rieckhoff and The Devil We Know by Robert Baer.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

"The Secret Agent" - Joseph Conrad.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

History of Histories by John Burrow. A pretty good history of historiography, though it does tend to drag a bit 2/3s of the way through.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the usual textbooks, nothing at all. It's marvelous. Although, I suspect that I'll be picking up Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows again. I've only read it once before, as opposed to the many (14+ for 1-4, 7x or so for 5, and 4x for 6) times that I've read the other books in the series. Plus it's been nearly three years since the series ended, jesus!
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast