Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are you reading right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I read "Who Moved My Cheese?", by Spencer Johnson while on lunch. I'm not sure if I liked it.
    I read that a while back. My dad made me. Said it would help me figure out how to solve problems in life
    There is no path. Beyond the scope of light - beyond the reach of dark - what could possibly await us?
    And yet we seek it insatiably. Such is our fate.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F3nderDud3
    I read that a while back. My dad made me. Said it would help me figure out how to solve problems in life
    I ended up categorizing my employees based off the four main characters. I also decided who I am, which would be a mix of Hem and Haw. Now it's just figuring out how to get the Hem's trucking along, or at least after a bit of prodding become a Haw. Or perhaps a balance of all four. I'm not sure. A balance would probably be best.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Im currently reading " The Revolution : A manifesto " by Ron Paul
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Is it any good?
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Is it any good?
    It really is. I thoroughly enjoy reading Dr. Pauls views and positions on a wide variety of subjects. He has a real clear way of expressing those views and explaining why those are the true Conservative principals that we should be following.

I have always had the impression from Dr. Paul that, if nothing else, the guy really believes that he says and does not merely hold positions and opinions for political expedience sake. (contrary to nearly every other politician from both sides) That sort of conviction and honesty is my favorite quality of the man.
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderWright View Post
    Alice In Wonder Land, Life of Pi, and Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes. I get bored if I don't read more than one at a time.

isn't the life of pi a mathematical book with a fish on the cover?

if it is, i got that last christmas

BenjaminCherry

I am currently reading Jean-Jacques Rousseau's A Discourse on Inequality. I have to say that it is a very fascinating book.

Rousseau does not attempt to convince of that the inequalities among men are harmful for the whole of society, though he does believe that they are. Instead he spend most of the book exploring the hypothetical social evolution of man out of the state of nature to our present state and he does a marvelous job. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys political philosophy and examining the human condition.

Post Thanks / Like

The The Qur'an: English Translation By Dr. Rashad Khalifa.

I'm publishing it in fact, on my website.

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
    It really is. I thoroughly enjoy reading Dr. Pauls views and positions on a wide variety of subjects. He has a real clear way of expressing those views and explaining why those are the true Conservative principals that we should be following.

I have always had the impression from Dr. Paul that, if nothing else, the guy really believes that he says and does not merely hold positions and opinions for political expedience sake. (contrary to nearly every other politician from both sides) That sort of conviction and honesty is my favorite quality of the man.
    I so much like Dr. Ron Paul. I wished I could read all of his books. I just don't have time. I hang on his every word in the apolitical revolutionist within me, if that man of unquestionable integrity could grasp that which is so vile and corrupt . . . but alas. . .

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished Sherlock Holmes, and am now reading a book on Literary Terms.

Post Thanks / Like

Ameritopia: The Unmaking of America by Mark Levin. Good read. Smart man.
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    Ameritopia: The Unmaking of America by Mark Levin. Good read. Smart man.
    Can you summarize Levin's main points in this book?

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

I'm currently reading Fabric of a Cosmos, by Prof. Brian Green. It's my second reading of this book. The first time around with Green's books I generally get use to the terminology and learn new words. The second time around, the amazing concepts start to sink in.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Can you summarize Levin's main points in this book?

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

I'm currently reading Fabric of a Cosmos, by Prof. Brian Green. It's my second reading of this book. The first time around with Green's books I generally get use to the terminology and learn new words. The second time around, the amazing concepts start to sink in.
    In a nutshell, he is making the case of how America is turning away from Constitutionalism into Utopianism, and how we are losing the Civil Society through out of control government and the entitlement generation.

Book description from Amazon.com:

AN INTELLECTUALLY BRACING NEW VOLUME ON AMERICA’S TRANSFORMATION AND THE CLASH BETWEEN CONSTITUTIONALISM AND UTOPIANISM—FROM THE AUTHOR OF THE #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER LIBERTY & TYRANNY , MARK R. LEVIN.

Hailed by Rush Limbaugh as “the most compelling defense of freedom for our time,” and “the necessary book of the Obama era” by The American Spectator, Mark R. Levin’s Liberty and Tyranny made the most persuasive case for conservatism and against statism in a generation. In this most crucial time, this leading conservative thinker explores the psychology, motivations, and history of the utopian movement, its architects, and its modern-day disciples—and how the individual and American society are being devoured by it.

Levin asks, what is this utopian force that both allures a free people and destroys them? Levin digs deep into the past and draws astoundingly relevant parallels to contemporary America from Plato’s Republic, Thomas More’s Utopia, Thomas Hobbes’s Leviathan, Karl Marx’s Communist Manifesto . . . as well as from the critical works of John Locke, Charles Montesquieu, Alexis de Tocqueville,and other philosophical pioneers who brilliantly diagnosed the nature of man and government. As Levin meticulously pursues his subject, the reader joins him in an enlightening and compelling journey. And in the end, Levin’s message is clear: the American republic is in great peril. The people must now choose between utopianism or liberty.

President Ronald Reagan warned, “freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.” Levin agrees, and with Ameritopia, delivers another modern political classic, an indispensable guide for America in our time and in the future.
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently finished Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto and now am working on The Sex Lives of the Roman Emperors, which was given to me by a friend.

Next up (by demand of my girlfriend) is Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."-Plato

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
    I just recently finished Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto
    I ****ing love Ron Paul! The Revolution is a great book. Dr. Paul has single-handedly restored my faith in humanity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
    I ****ing love Ron Paul! The Revolution is a great book. Dr. Paul has single-handedly restored my faith in humanity.
    I thoroughly enjoyed The Revolution as well, particularly the foreign policy parts.
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."-Plato

Post Thanks / Like

A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin

So addicting!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jadamcean View Post
    A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin

So addicting!!
    I lost a week of last summer blazing through all five of those books... A good week.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I've just finished reading Fifty Shades Freed, the third installment in the Fifty series.
    Frozen In Time Yearning Forbidden Wishes Damned And Divine
    Scars Of My Broken Kisses What Will Follow If Tomorrow's Blind? My Eternal Night.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I have a half read book on my nightstand, Adam Smith's, Wealth of Nations.
    I have a half read book in the tv room, a biography on Ayn Rand.

I don't expect I'll finish either by the end of summer. I'll probably start a third book which I won't finish. Frankly, as of late, my attention span is not worth a ****.

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I read "Who Moved My Cheese?", by Spencer Johnson while on lunch. I'm not sure if I liked it.
    I didn't read this book, but I did read "Who Cut My Cheese," by Spencer Johnsonn with two 'n's.

-- Vague reference to Monty Python's, The Cheese Shop.

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tarja View Post
    I've just finished reading Fifty Shades Freed, the third installment in the Fifty series.
    I expect there'll be 47 more? Hope it was outstanding.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
    I lost a week of last summer blazing through all five of those books... A good week.
    Good man! Nice to know book burning is back in vogue.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    I have a half read book on my nightstand, Adam Smith's, Wealth of Nations.
    I have a half read book in the tv room, a biography on Ayn Rand.

I don't expect I'll finish either by the end of summer. I'll probably start a third book which I won't finish. Frankly, as of late, my attention span is not worth a ****.
    I hear ya brother. I have a gazillion books that are waiting to be read, and I have been working on two of them for months now.
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast