Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are you reading right now?

Quote Originally Posted by chadn737 View Post
    My current reading list:

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Mathematical Nature of the Llving World by Gilbert Chauvet

Two-Dimensional Patterning by a Trapping/Depletion Mechanism: The Role of TTG1 and GL3 in Arabidopsis Trichome Formation

A competitive complex formation mechanism underlies trichome patterning on Arabidopsis leaves

Emergence of Scaling in Random Networks

Detecting Subtle Sequence Signals: A Gibbs Sampling Strategy for Multiple Alignment

The Improtance of Bottlenecks in Protein Networks: Correlation with Gene Essentiality and Expression Dynamics
    Lots of nice relaxing bed time readint then?
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Currently I am reading 'Plain Truth' by Jodi Picoult.

This book is teaching me a lot about the Amish way of life, too. Very interesting.
    Frozen In Time Yearning Forbidden Wishes Damned And Divine
    Scars Of My Broken Kisses What Will Follow If Tomorrow's Blind? My Eternal Night.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

You all are a bunch of pretentious wannabes. I'll be the only courageous one here and admit that what I'm currently "reading" is Danielle Steele's "Rogue".
    "Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves." --Bill Hicks

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrashee View Post
    You all are a bunch of pretentious wannabes. I'll be the only courageous one here and admit that what I'm currently "reading" is Danielle Steele's "Rogue".
    lol Trashee, someone once told me Danielle Steele's books are crappy.

Don't feel alone though, I have been watching this thread. I think I am getting worried for Chad's sake. It can't be healthy to read that much.

I am still busy with the same freaking book about the languages. It takes time to learn 4 different languages, especially Zulu.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    lol Trashee, someone once told me Danielle Steele's books are crappy.
    That someone told you that only because they were one-handed reading, if you know what I mean. I better stop now, before the pretentious police come along.

On that note, I'm currently reading Albert Camus' "The Myth of Sisyphus".

There. Take that.
    "Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves." --Bill Hicks

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Oooo, a guy who reads Danielle Steele? You ever read Catherine Coulter? Brenda Joyce? Julie Garwood? Jude Deveraux? I can't remember any more of the top of my head, but I did, myself, read several Catherine Coulter books as a teenager (17, y'all). My mother's a freak for the stuff. Her "escapism" from her "dull" life, if you will.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished:

Fields of Fire by James Webb.

I am in the middle of reading:

Revolutionary Guerrilla Warfare edited by Sam Sarkesian.

No True Glory by Bing West

Napoleons Marshall's I cannot remember the author right now.

I plan on starting:

On War by Clausewitz

One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Flick
    Witty puns...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I bet you skip right to the dirty parts, right?

The first DS book I ever read was The Kiss. After that I was hooked. I've read everything she's ever written, except for whatever novels she's come out with in the last 5 years...probably a dozen or more.
    Scars Of My Broken Kisses What Will Follow If Tomorrow's Blind? My Eternal Night.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarja Turunen View Post
    I bet you skip right to the dirty parts, right?
    Well it sure as hell wasn't for the literary prose Alas, the internet has destroyed the days of soft core paperbacks.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

John Adams by David McCullough
    and
    American Aurora by Richard Rosenfeld

Research for my (high school) senior paper.
    Catch22

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

loL, you're totally right. Trashy romance novels are great, with their unrealistic plot lines, physically-perfect-and-yet-emotionally-flawed characters, and most important of all the Fabio. They're good to read if you don't want to process anything...last Danielle Steele I read was The Ranch.

Right now though, I'm reading the most awesome book I've read in a while, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. It's fascinating, I love it. It's as good as John Adams, which was really, really good.
    Everything is connected.
    Read my new novel here. Join an epic adventure.

No liberal propaganda, I promise.

Post Thanks / Like

Dance of the Dialectic: Steps in Marx's Method by Bertell Ollman
    Very off and on; books like that tend to be. For my own enjoyment, though.

The Aeneid by Virgil
    Just the first six books, for a class. It's an English translation, but I've translated some of the Latin in high school.

Closed Chambers
    by Edward Lazarus
    Re-reading. I love this book. A clerk's view of the SCOTUS, with a driving narrative complemented by sound enough analysis of the case law.

I'm also exploring texts by John Dewey and reading a lot of federal court opinions and analyses of due process law, but those tend to be either in PDF's or online law reviews.
    ----------
    Libertarianism has also been defined with some plausibility as the form taken by liberalism as common sense asymptotically approaches zero.
    --Richard Carnes

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I finished Wrinkle in Time last week, but I didn't really like it.

I finished Lucy, The Beginnings of Humankind yesterday. It was incredibly interesting although it covered in detail a 20 year period of discovery and it has since been 30 years, so I'm a bit left in the dark as to the latest developments. There is a "sequel" to the book, Lucy's Child, but it doesn't seem to be in print on Amazon.

I've started Euclid in the Rainforest, Discovering Universal Truth in Logic and Math by Joseph Mazur.

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

Post Thanks / Like

Beloved, but it's for AP English, I don't really like it that much. It's ok.

In the little free time I have, I'm trying to get through 'Johnny the Homicidal Maniac' comic right now.

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by AliceLiddell View Post
    I finished Wrinkle in Time last week, but I didn't really like it.
    I started that, got to like page 30 and quit. I thought it was dumb and boring, but, then again, I've always hated fantasy, so what do I know?

A guy who reads Danielle Steele? Awww.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving
    Is that the same as the movie???
    Last edited by ladyphoenix; October 21st, 2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Fixing funky formatting
    I am the cheese. I am the damaged one. I am Holden.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DevilPup John View Post
    I just finished:

Fields of Fire by James Webb.

I am in the middle of reading:

Revolutionary Guerrilla Warfare edited by Sam Sarkesian.

No True Glory by Bing West

Napoleons Marshall's I cannot remember the author right now.

I plan on starting:

On War by Clausewitz

One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Flick
    you have a war fetish, don't you?

I'm rereading From Russia With Love.

I have finished all the James Bond books, and since it took me about 2 years to find them all, I am rereading them.
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Thanks / Like

I am re-reading the books that George R.R . Martin has written so far in the Song of Ice and Fire series. Getting ready for the next one that is to be released in the next couple of months. Also reading some GREAT detective books by Robert Crais. Slip try to tell me they were good books before, but I was stubborn and did not heed his advice. Once I started them I could not put them down. ALWAYS re-reading any of the books in Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series. A

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Currently I am reading....this thread.
    Hyde and Sylouette
    Married
    June 30, 2012

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I am reading 'Martin Misunderstood' by Karin Slaughter. It's good, but not about Sara and Jeffery (her usual charactors) so it's a little disappointing, but good enough to keep me reading.

Post Thanks / Like

As a rule, my new local library doesn't have a title unless it contains one of those slips they used to use before computers, with the due dates stamped on, like "11/04/78". It's a small place, and almost every book they have is older than me.

I like the children's author Daniel Pinkwater, so while I was ducking awkward stares in the kid's section, I discovered a copy of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

It reads like a folk tale. Alright so far, but it's no Watership Down.
    DITTA ARTIGIANA BUDRIO / F.MENAGLIO

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Complete with basic summaries!

Currently Reading (again):

On the Warrior's Path - Danielle Bolelli

About how the martial arts are gateways to improving your physical, emotional, and general well being as well as developing a greater appreciation of life, sense of responsibility, and the joys of discipline among other things.

Hagakure - Tsunetomo

I've yet to figure out a way to summarise this one.

Plan on reading and actually finishing:

The Gospel of Judas - Judas?

Sort of like the wolf's side of the story in the 3 Little Pigs. But there's 12 of them...and they're not pigs...and he didn't blow anyone's anything.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves - Lynne Truss (I LOVED this book when I first started reading it and I definitely need to finish it).

Humorous book about grammar and the importance of it. It explains the origins of the apostrophe, the comma, the italic typeface, and various other wondrous things such as my person favorite: The Oxford Comma.

Masters of Death - Richard Rhodes.

About the initial phases of the Holocaust and how the numbers of deaths during that period are significantly lower primarily due to lack of resource management and interest in investigating that particular portion of it.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast