Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The Da Vinci Code

Our current book is:

The Da Vinci Code
    by Dan Brown

I think that we can now open this up for discussion, and I am going to post a thread.

This thread will be updated periodically to tell where the discussion will be rooted.
    Last edited by Meng Bomin; January 31st, 2005 at 06:32 PM.
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Da Vinci Code

great, when do we start? and btw kevin, can I borrow your book if you are not going to use it? :D
    "With His dying breath... He saved me, with His wounds... He healed me, with His life... He died for me, although I never met Him, He remembered... me."

+++=][ShadowKnight][=+++

Red_Neck

I need to buy a copy of that right????

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Neck
    I need to buy a copy of that right????
    Yes, you need to buy or borrow it if you do not have it already. If you do not want to spend the extra money to buy it, I would suggest borrowing it from a local library (they are bound to have it, though it may be checked out) or from any friends that may have it.
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I have just seen Tony Robinson (Baldrick of the 'cunning plan' in Blackadder) presenting 'The Real DaVinci Code' on BBC TV. He is also the presenter of 'Time Team' which is a long running series in which a team of archeologists investigate various sites.

It was a fairly indepth quest that looked into all the legends and conspiracy theories and came to the conclusion that they are basically just that - legend and religious romanticism.

The 'Grail' story, has its inception in the late 11th. century. Cretian de Troyes fist penned a story of quest in which Percival started as a spiritual tabula raza, it was as though his resultant quest for the grail led to his heroic spiritual salvation. Within 30-40 years there were a least 5 versions of the story in which one stood out - that of King Arthur and 'The Round Table'. Originally there was no clear description of 'the grail', it later took on the form of the Last Supper chalice/drinking cup. This imaginative creative writing of sacred history, was perhaps, the equivalent of today's 'Lord of the Rings' type adventures.

More latterly Michael Baigent et al wrote 'The Holy Blood & The Holy Grail', which is a spurious DNA trail, that seeks to make a bit more of Jesus' friendship with Mary (of) Magdella. It is a story that has added 'real science' to the pot pourri of legends, introducing yet more memes to already fertile conjecture. Truth, it appears, is more of the mind than reality in this quest for codes, grails and fortunes. Perhaps we will soon have a book on the shelves, in which Cathars, Knights Templar, the painting 'Et in Arcadia Ego', satanic bloodlines, Richard Hoagland's 'Face on Mars', Chaos Theory, the FBI & CIA and Bush jr. join Jesus' DNA in that already crowded 'drinking cup'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'The DaVinci Code' is a book in which to suspend personal credulity and enjoy any reading as well written fiction.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKnight
    great, when do we start? and btw kevin, can I borrow your book if you are not going to use it? :D
    Sure, remind me next time you are over here.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

If I read the book after reading the discussion here, is that cheating? (it's next on my list)
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I read the book in the middle of last year, so my memory may be a little sketchy. (Unfortunately, i have let someone borrow my copy, but if I need one for this discussion, the library I will go!)

I felt the points brought up in the book were interesting, and very well put together to make a storyline. The actual characters weren't all that interesting, they were pretty transparent, and it was quite obvious when the plot-twists were coming around the bend (the british guy turning out to be a bad guy), but the story points itself were pretty interesting.

I liked the historical references and the symbolism represented, even if some was only half-true, I think it was very interesting, and that's what really kept the pages turning for me.

Good book. Not a great book. But I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
    What is it like to be Libertarian and an Atheist? Imagine having the freedom to believe whatever you want, without the responsibility of it ever becoming accepted in the majority.

It's a truly magical feeling. Equal parts happiness and depression.

Post Thanks / Like

How is discussion going? Has the Book Club basically died at this point? The last post was back in February.

Post Thanks / Like

the book was fun. It's like reading one of those fantasy novel series that appeal to teens and is usually named like "Battlerealms" series", "Empire of Itch" series or some crap like that.. I had fun reading it. I pretty much agreed with what Harrison was saying. That british Knight guy being the bad guy was obvious. The only thing that appealed to me was the religious history involved, but that was a big part of the reason why I even read the book.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

You can tell it was written by a 'Yank', with a Brit. being the bad guy!
    As I type, I am listening to the news; and Dan Brown's works, including 'The Da Vinci Code' have recieved a bit of a drubbing from the Vatican. It accuses such work as being manipulative 'faction'. While all thinking and knowledgable people will be aware that it is fiction based on snippets of 'fact', both the Vat. and I feel it can also mislead the 'ignorant' and pre negatively biased.

Taken as a novel, it is a good read.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was a great book. I love the uproar it has created throughout Christendom too, so maybe thats why I like it so much! :D I don't know why it would be such a tragedy for Jesus to have a wife, or even to have kids. I guess I just don't understand the theist mindset that what they believe now MUST be what they believe for the rest of their life. It can never change. Damn the facts! Full speed ahead!

(not assuming anything in the book is true...just saying... :p )
    We took risks. We knew we took them. Things have come out against us. We have no cause for complaint. Scott, found in his diary after the party froze in Antarctica

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Supreme Sexiness
    I read the book in the middle of last year, so my memory may be a little sketchy. (Unfortunately, i have let someone borrow my copy, but if I need one for this discussion, the library I will go!)

I felt the points brought up in the book were interesting, and very well put together to make a storyline. The actual characters weren't all that interesting, they were pretty transparent, and it was quite obvious when the plot-twists were coming around the bend (the british guy turning out to be a bad guy), but the story points itself were pretty interesting.

I liked the historical references and the symbolism represented, even if some was only half-true, I think it was very interesting, and that's what really kept the pages turning for me.

Good book. Not a great book. But I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
    I should never be allowed to type when I'm that out of it. Saying "interesting" 4 times in a 3 1/2 paragraph post is never good.

Ever. Ugh... ;?
    What is it like to be Libertarian and an Atheist? Imagine having the freedom to believe whatever you want, without the responsibility of it ever becoming accepted in the majority.

It's a truly magical feeling. Equal parts happiness and depression.

tiffy

Wink Re: The Da Vinci Code

Oh well, I've already read the book and I am very much willing to have a discussion.. I am new so I really realy want to get in to it... tnx!

The Da Vinci COde is a great book. By the thought of only one man had written it, he had everything in his head which is something. I mean I adore him for having such unique idealisms. I am a catholic yet I am captivated by this book for the very logic it contains.. /\

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

ive not gotten a chance to read the book in its entirety but from an astounding 4 minute wrestle with it i found it intriguing and hoped id get a chance to full scathe its pages..........
    Nothing will stand against the returning of He who hath died for us and His Father who breathed the breath of life into the dust that created man.
    Humbleness, Love, and loyalty to the word and his message.

BF55.....

Post Thanks / Like

All those of you who haven't read the book..its a must-read! After all it created quite a stir in the Vatican!
    I do agree with the others...What captivated me was the symbolic references ...and the reference to historcal events.It was definitly convincing!

Post Thanks / Like

the plot itself was genius, but brown could have done more about developing the characters themselves, especially langdon.

in the prequel, angels and demons, you get the same old standard early phone call, and the mildly cheesy 'i can sense an adventure is about to begin' feeling, almost identical to the da vinci code.

but otherwise, its an excellent book, and i give it full marks, cause the flaws in it are pretty much unnoticable.

I've been given a "timeout"
    Post Thanks / Like

oh i love the da vinci code, that movie has been the most exchiting movie ever not to mention the part when that guy crawled over a guy and make a scream about it. oh the ring also in his hands struck me the most. not once have i ever fealt the intimacy of each other lovers hand in the closet or palm of his. the movie exaggerated the movie in the past following years. have you seen the wrath of our sin? the book is great. robertus

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I read the entire book in one sitting.

There are lots of plot twists, and most of the chapters end with a cliffhanger.
    The author does a fairly good job of giving his controversial history lesson without sounding too "preachy".

All in all, an entertaining and intellectual thriller.
    You can't put it down until you've finished it.
    "As long as I have a voice, I will speak for those who have none".

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a great book but I thought angles and demons was better. I thought it was hilarious that the church who, some would say preach from a fiction book calling it fact could be so intolerant of someone who has never claimed that his book was anything but fiction.
    I thought It was fairly simple. When he says at the beginning of his books that all descriptions of building and art are true he is not lying in the slightest. Robert Langdon is a fictional character so when he says "the templars built this church" or "da vinci put this hidden message into his art"
    its coming from a fictional character so it is fiction but when the narrator describes the building and artworks it is all fact.
    To be wise you must first understand you will always be ignorant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast