Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

What are you reading right now?

I read constantly. In the car, in the tub, at the dinner table, while waiting. I always keep a book close at hand. Usually, in my purse. And lately, I have been on a classic literature kick. Trying to read all those books that they are supposed to make you read in school. I thought it would be fun to see what everyone else is reading.

I just finished The Count of Monte Cristo and I'm in the middle of The Great Gatsby.
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are you reading right now?

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Oooo, The Great Gatsby... SB, I wrote my senior paper on that book.

Me, I'm reading whatever strikes my fancy. I'm trying to read a 4 part essay on the subjugation of women at the moment. Interesting. I won't necessarily say I think it's all accurate (his conclusions, that is), but it's still food for thought.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    "Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do"
    -Isaac Asimov

Post Thanks / Like

I read Green Eggs and Ham last night.
    Monsters Inc.
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Wow! Three books in one week.
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Been rereading The Hagakure, and I started on Paradise Lost. Thinking about starting up on The Story of B again with Syl, or Lullaby (one of my FAVORITE books)
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished King Leopold's Ghost and I'm starting something a little lighter now, The Borgia Bride. I love history.

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

Oh, and Belle, I loved Great Gatsby, it was an awesome book. I wrote my final on it last year. And Count of Monte Cristo is a really good read too.
    Last edited by LiberalTruth; September 10th, 2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everything is connected.
    Read my new novel here. Join an epic adventure.

No liberal propaganda, I promise.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

War and Peace by Leo Talstoy
    "I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada."
    - Britney Spears, Pop Singer

"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate

ODN Community Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Alice In Wonder Land, Life of Pi, and Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes. I get bored if I don't read more than one at a time.
    Empty.

ODN Community Regular

According to Christians, just south of heaven
    Post Thanks / Like

Lamb-The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

An absolutely well done book. Priceless on so many levels.

In Heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here.

Rogue Cardinal, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Paradise Lost. )
    Wow, power to you. My dad's a Miltonist and I've tried a few times but its a beast.

Currently: The Peloponnesian War- Thucydides
    The Greek Way- Edith Hamilton
    Frankenstein- (school reading)
    Catch22

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reading "A Wrinkle in Time" and "Lucy: The Beginnings of Mankind". Lucy (the hominid fossil) is coming to Seattle!

Hyde, I read part of "Paradise Lost" in High School and loved it. Squatch and I bought a copy earlier this year.

LT, Squatch and I both read "Leopold's Ghost" last year. Did you know they made a movie? I haven't seen it yet though. Did you end up buying "Me Talk Pretty One Day"?

Snoop, are you an Irving fan? I read "Widow for One Year" and hated it. Would take a lot to get me to read him again.

AW, great choices! I recommend to you "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time".

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

Post Thanks / Like

read Green Eggs and Ham last night.
    Monsters Inc.
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Wow! Three books in one week.

Oh snap agrees: lol. nice one
    Oh, but it's true. These are the books I read to my five year old this week.

I don't have the idle time to get into anything in depth. The only reason I have been on ODN lately is that I need to babysit some machines while they are running. What better time to engage the intellectual powerhouses in this forum!

Though regardless of how little time I spend reading I still manage to purchase hundreds of dollars of books a year.

Some influential books of my youth:
    Atlas Shrugged
    Technics and Civilization, Mumford (and others)
    Broca's Brain, Carl Sagan
    Last Temptation of Christ
    Hero with a Thousand Faces, Joseph Campbell
    Notes on the Underground, Rosalind Williams
    Many dystopian and post-apocolyptic fictions
    And a host of science fiction
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Right now, I am reading Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult. She is one of my favourite authors. Salem Falls is about a man who was accused (falsely) of rape moving to a small town. His secret is discovered and the locals embark on a literal witch hunt to drive him out of town.
    Frozen In Time Yearning Forbidden Wishes Damned And Divine
    Scars Of My Broken Kisses What Will Follow If Tomorrow's Blind? My Eternal Night.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Though regardless of how little time I spend reading I still manage to purchase hundreds of dollars of books a year.
    I own way too many books! Way, way too many. But I still buy them. I do tend to stick to the 1 or 3 dollar shelf at Half Priced Books though.

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

SB I am alot like you when it comes to reading. Reading caused me to melt a spatula into a pan once, so cooking and reading do not always go well together. hehe

I am currently busy reading a book about languages which includes Sotho, Tswana and Zulu.

I am also busy reading "Kweek gesonde gesag". It is a Afrikaans book about how to discipline children the healthy way.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oh snap View Post
    War and Peace by Leo Talstoy
    wow. I'm impressed. I tried twice in high school to read that book. I made it halfway through and gave up. All those Russian names start to look the same after a few chapters, and I am horrible with names anyway....so, it made it a very difficult read for me. I kept forgetting who was who.
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    I am also busy reading "Kweek gesonde gesag". It is a Afrikaans book about how to discipline children the healthy way.
    OK, how do you discipline children the unhealthy way? Are you supposed to yell at them softly?
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    OK, how do you discipline children the unhealthy way? Are you supposed to yell at them softly?
    There are many ways of disciplining children the "unhealthy" way Snoop. We as parents make mistakes as we are only human. By yelling at your children you can make them rebellious and you must not be surprised if they start yelling back at you.

The book concentrates on ways to discipline children without making them rebellious and to rather make them understand that listening to you will benefit them in the long run.

I made lots of mistakes that I am not proud of. I can get quite irritated sometimes, especially when I have to repeat myself. And sometimes I yell, which is wrong. The right thing to do is to walk away till you calmed down and then speak to them in a calm way, but firm. Getting them to co-operate without yelling is so much more rewarding than getting them to co-operate because you yelled. I know I feel terrible when I yelled at them.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast