Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Racism or not...

    In your opinion, is it racist for white parents to disagree with their daughter marrying a black man for reasons that they don't want her to marry outside the family culture to ensure a pure ethnic background throughout their kids and grand kids. What if it were because they would rather want her to pass on the specific ethnic background to person of at least the same colour as themselves? State why you agree or disagree with this notion...
    Last edited by KingOfTheEast; September 23rd, 2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: worded it better

  2. #2
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Of course it's racist - otherwise there would be no disagreement.

    By the way - there is no such thing as an "ethnic gene" because there is no pure race of ethnic humans on earth. You're either inbred or you're not.

    Do you see any ethnic animals in the zoo? Think about it - what would a Jewish gorilla look like? What would an Arab bird look like? How about a black snow leopard? A Chinese rabbit? Get the picture?
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

  3. #3
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,077
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Racist - Although not always harmfull.

    It's racist because in a sense they are saying they only one one type of race in thier family and the only practical reason for that is they like it better than other races and don't want to have to love or embrace people of another race.

    Personaly I think the best way to reduce racism is intermariage. Something I not only preach but live (although I don't have plans on having kids).

    Now I can see some reasonable argumetns for this, and if the people are good folks and otherwise don't discriminate than I can see it not being especialy harmfull even if it is against the spirit of race equivilancy.

    I can also see stronger argumetns for dying cultures or "races" who are desperate to preserve their heritage, although history tends to show those most succesfull are those less picky about whom they couple with and rely on culture rather than racial purity to preserve their identity and heritage.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    Of course it's racist - otherwise there would be no disagreement.

    By the way - there is no such thing as an "ethnic gene" because there is no pure race of ethnic humans on earth. You're either inbred or you're not.

    Do you see any ethnic animals in the zoo? Think about it - what would a Jewish gorilla look like? What would an Arab bird look like? How about a black snow leopard? A Chinese rabbit? Get the picture?
    I understand there is no such thing as ethnic gene. My intent and what I meant was a generation with somewhat the same ethnic make-up. I guess I should have been more clear but I hope you get the basic message and question overall...

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Underneath the mountains
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheEast View Post
    In your opinion, is it racist for white parents to disagree with their daughter marrying a black man for reasons that they don't want her to marry outside the family culture to ensure a pure ethnic ...background
    Pure ethnic background is just a nice way of saying pure racial background. If they're talking more on culture....then there isn't such a thing as a pure white culture. Culture is more fluid and often defined by the class and circles we move in, especially in the U.S. Chances are their white middle class daughter who's from some northeastern city going to Northwestern will have more in common (culturally) with a black middle class black guy from some northeastern city who went to stanford than the white working class southerner from some small town in Georgia. And random question, why is it always a white daughter, never a son in these scenerios? These couples do exist

    throughout their kids and grand kids.
    They ask way too much.

    What if it were because they would rather want her to pass on the specific ethnic background to person of at least the same colour as themselves?
    Racist still.....it's a preference based strictly on skin color, nothing else.

    State why you agree or disagree with this notion
    I'm mixed race. My mother's white american and my father's black from Nigeria (and U.S.) and I grew up with my Latin desent step-father. It still surprises me from time to time how rigid people see ethnicity and race. Like by marrying or having children with someone of a different culture/race will suddenly wipe out the other's contribution. The white parent isn't some sperm/egg donor simply creating a lighter toned minority. The culture and attributes from the mother, in this case, will still be there. The only reason that I see plausible with these type of cases is that the parents see dramatic differences due to race and that these differences are undesirable. It's in a nice way of putting it, ethnocentric....but sense "ethnicity" here is the same as "race" it's a part of the fundamental definition of racist.

    With luv,
    BD
    Last edited by BlueDreams; September 24th, 2008 at 09:05 PM.
    We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDreams View Post
    Pure ethnic background is just a nice way of saying pure racial background.
    I would beg to differ. The OP wasn't meant to be vaguely white women with a black man but I should've been more clear. There is a difference between ethnicity and race. My question was based more so on ethnicity. The question posed refers to white parents only allowing their daughter to marry from inside their ethnic background. Not necessarily racial background. And by ethnic background, the man can still be white yet the two white parents would still oppose if he were not from their ethnicity yet I should've included this originally.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDreams View Post
    And random question, why is it always a white daughter, never a son in these scenerios? These couples do exist
    Actually I was going to ask the same question in the OP but decided to focus on this particular question and see what they view on this topic. Would you agree that many racist individuals are rather displeased with a white woman with a black man compared to a black woman with a white man. If so, why do you think this is the case?

  7. #7
    ODN Administrator

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rural Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheEast View Post
    I would beg to differ. The OP wasn't meant to be vaguely white women with a black man but I should've been more clear. There is a difference between ethnicity and race. My question was based more so on ethnicity. The question posed refers to white parents only allowing their daughter to marry from inside their ethnic background. Not necessarily racial background. And by ethnic background, the man can still be white yet the two white parents would still oppose if he were not from their ethnicity yet I should've included this originally.
    Kind of like a jew trying to marry a non-jew? That kind of difference?
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python


  8. #8
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Underneath the mountains
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheEast View Post
    I would beg to differ. The OP wasn't meant to be vaguely white women with a black man but I should've been more clear. There is a difference between ethnicity and race. My question was based more so on ethnicity. The question posed refers to white parents only allowing their daughter to marry from inside their ethnic background. Not necessarily racial background. And by ethnic background, the man can still be white yet the two white parents would still oppose if he were not from their ethnicity yet I should've included this originally.
    Okay than no, I wouldn't consider it racist. on the first instance.

    What if it were because they would rather want her to pass on the specific ethnic background to person of at least the same colour as themselves?
    But this still is for basically the same reasons I'd said before.

    Actually I was going to ask the same question in the OP but decided to focus on this particular question and see what they view on this topic. Would you agree that many racist individuals are rather displeased with a white woman with a black man compared to a black woman with a white man. If so, why do you think this is the case?
    No, I think it's actually feedin on a very old fear that goes back many years that's bother sexist and racist. Stereotypes over the centuries like being violent, oversexualized, etc are characterized most often in men. It's sexist becuase it assumes the idea that women need more protection and guidance on relationships and choices than men. Their little girl moreso than their little boy, even though they would both be adults and capable of making their own decisions. Racists employ a general discomfort or fear of generalized black men that most try to ignore or keep subconciously and then bring it inside owns hypothetical home and heart while the black man is still nothing but a paper stand-up often with said stereotypes written on the back of it. It's never your daughter marrying the neighbor down the street who's getting his MD that happens to be black. It that random black guy with slightly baggy pants on the corner of the street that you stand next to waiting to cross the street who can't seem to speak normal english marrying your precious little and sweet little girl who you most often see in cute little pink dresses as a three year old. Maybe it's not exactly what is seen in people's mind....but it's a scene that can lead to sympathy. Especially to those who have little personal connection to people of different races and where they are largely abstract ideas.



    With luv,
    BD
    We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by ladyphoenix View Post
    Kind of like a jew trying to marry a non-jew? That kind of difference?
    No not really. This is again an ethnic situation. Not a racial/religious one. Unless you mean Jew as in culture apart from the religious aspect, then I guess it applies if that's what you mean...

  10. #10
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Where ever you tell me, Drill Sergeant!
    Posts
    2,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    Of course it's racist - otherwise there would be no disagreement.

    By the way - there is no such thing as an "ethnic gene" because there is no pure race of ethnic humans on earth. You're either inbred or you're not.

    Do you see any ethnic animals in the zoo? Think about it - what would a Jewish gorilla look like? What would an Arab bird look like? How about a black snow leopard? A Chinese rabbit? Get the picture?
    Um, this is wrong.

    African and Asian elephants. Chinese and Siberian tigers. American Black bears and Himalayan bears. All pairs related and similar in appearance, yet genetically different. All thought to have common ancestors.

    Inbred or Not is basically true, but it really means genetic diversification or similarity.

    There are genetic differences between people of different ethnicities. To have parents not want their children to marry and breed with different ethnicities is tantamount to genetic inbreeding.
    The Signature Religion is the one true religion. I know this is true, because it says so right here in this signature.

  11. #11
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern VA, US
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    I think pretty much everyone is in agreement--it would be racist.

    It's making a decision influenced by race.
    "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do"
    Luke 23:34


    Barack Obama '08
    AJFXW

  12. #12
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by AJFXW View Post
    I think pretty much everyone is in agreement--it would be racist.

    It's making a decision influenced by race.
    Not necessarily. I can understand the latter question of race between a black man and white women and vice versa and this is debatable, but the ethnic question I would not say is racist at all. Actually, there's a term and practice for people who marry into a specific social group. It's called endogamy. It can actually help minorities of a certain ethnic or religious group within a different surrounding survive longer, throughout societies with different cultural and religious beliefs.

    I would see no place for such a practice to fit in with what we call 'racism'. I think it's rather normal that people in the world marry within their own ethnic backgrounds since many people do. It's what makes an ethnicity unique.

    Holding on to this, I would also say marrying a person of different ethnicity should be very much accepted and allowed freely if a man and a woman wish to do so yet this is not the case in many countries. Should it be la belled racism though especially if there's a good reason? I think many would argue not.

  13. #13
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,901
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheEast View Post
    Not necessarily. I can understand the latter question of race between a black man and white women and vice versa and this is debatable, but the ethnic question I would not say is racist at all. Actually, there's a term and practice for people who marry into a specific social group. It's called endogamy. It can actually help minorities of a certain ethnic or religious group within a different surrounding survive longer, throughout societies with different cultural and religious beliefs.
    I agree. If I can support your argument with one example it will be the Bushman culture in the Kalahari.

    They are a small ethnic group in South Africa and if they are to mix their culture it will eventually lead to their culture disappearing for good.

    I would see no place for such a practice to fit in with what we call 'racism'. I think it's rather normal that people in the world marry within their own ethnic backgrounds since many people do. It's what makes an ethnicity unique.
    Correct again and I agree. People can so quickly call or draw the racist card, but what they forget is that heritage and history makes up an important part of any ethnic group.

    Holding on to this, I would also say marrying a person of different ethnicity should be very much accepted and allowed freely if a man and a woman wish to do so yet this is not the case in many countries. Should it be la belled racism though especially if there's a good reason? I think many would argue not.
    No, it really is not racism at all. People like to call it racism though.

    I would for instance think twice before I marry a white English man. Our cultures are totally different and I don't know if I will be willing to give up a part of my culture to accept a part of his. That goes for any man with a different culture than I have. Call me selfish if you want, but that is what is important to me.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  14. #14
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Yes. I agree with that...

  15. #15
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Yes, in some ways it is racist.

    I have heard of a few cultures that intend to continue their native heritage. I can understand their standpoint, but ultimately, the only reason to not allow other races into yours is to assume the superiority of your own.

  16. #16
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,901
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by HotPancakes View Post
    Yes, in some ways it is racist.

    I have heard of a few cultures that intend to continue their native heritage. I can understand their standpoint, but ultimately, the only reason to not allow other races into yours is to assume the superiority of your own.
    I disagree, there can be lots of reasons and feeling your race is superior is usually the first reason most people will come up with. Do you think this will apply to the Bushman's in the Kalahari as well?

    What exactly is wrong with a culture that intend to continue their native heritage?
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  17. #17
    Need to validate email

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    What I see here is ignoring the biggest component.
    True love is becoming rare all around the world. With love so hard to find, I would think that someone would be willing to open up the playing field a bit. The larger the playing field the better one's chances of finding their more perfect match.
    Also, this world is going to be a melting pot much like the US has. If we don't kill each other off, someday the whole world will look about the same. (JMO)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

  18. #18
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    What I see here is ignoring the biggest component.
    True love is becoming rare all around the world. With love so hard to find, I would think that someone would be willing to open up the playing field a bit. The larger the playing field the better one's chances of finding their more perfect match.
    Also, this world is going to be a melting pot much like the US has. If we don't kill each other off, someday the whole world will look about the same.
    arent those to statements against eachother???
    I agree with the first one and the second one , but the first and second one dont connect
    In your opinion, is it racist for white parents to disagree with their daughter marrying a black man for reasons that they don't want her to marry outside the family culture to ensure a pure ethnic background throughout their kids and grand kids. What if it were because they would rather want her to pass on the specific ethnic background to person of at least the same colour as themselves? State why you agree or disagree with this notion...
    it is racist,but the reason why someone would be like that is:A:theyre racist against them for the color of their skin
    or...
    B: theyre saying its their skin that theyre against,but say they've met the others, and really thats a coverup for their way of life, their morals, really it goes further into culture moreso then skin.
    Either way if you love a person,and want to marry them, then do it.


    _________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________


    by the way usually in most casses its A
    Last edited by dbogjohnson; October 17th, 2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  19. #19
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,901
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    What I see here is ignoring the biggest component.
    True love is becoming rare all around the world.
    Is there really something like true love CC?

    I think people that date over different cultures have more challenges to deal with when it comes to relationships. I think their love, loyalty, understanding and mutual respect not only for each other's cultures but individuals as well are tested to the limits.

    Can "true" love concur this?

    With love so hard to find, I would think that someone would be willing to open up the playing field a bit.
    I get the impression many don't look for love, but rather look for satisfying their ever hunger sex drive.

    The larger the playing field the better one's chances of finding their more perfect match.
    Opening the playing field can be detrimental to a culture in the long run.

    Is culture lower on the priority list than love? If so, why? Isn't it better to search for that perfect match within a culture you know and trust?

    Also, this world is going to be a melting pot much like the US has. If we don't kill each other off, someday the whole world will look about the same. (JMO)
    Not in our lifetime however.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  20. #20
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Racism or not...

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheEast View Post
    In your opinion, is it racist for white parents to disagree with their daughter marrying a black man for reasons that they don't want her to marry outside the family culture to ensure a pure ethnic background throughout their kids and grand kids. What if it were because they would rather want her to pass on the specific ethnic background to person of at least the same colour as themselves? State why you agree or disagree with this notion...
    By definition it's racist. That doesn't mean it's morally wrong or right. One can have a cultural preference for the race of the person their child marries, without being hateful towards other races. However, I'd say such a preference is ignorant, because the individual's merits should matter more than his cultural tradition.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Christianity and racism
    By Zhavric in forum Religion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: September 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM
  2. Possible Cause of Racism.
    By onalandline in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
  3. Is patriotism racism?
    By fatuitous in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: May 13th, 2006, 06:07 AM
  4. THIS is racism...
    By Slipnish in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May 12th, 2006, 02:32 PM
  5. Natural Racism
    By KneeLess in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •