Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: Will Obama bring up the issue of reparations for slavery?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Reparations are wrong and would only stir up racial tensions in the United States. Do you think Obama is going to bring reparations up during his tenure in Washington?
    Last edited by onalandline; November 9th, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

  2. #2
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Where ever you tell me, Drill Sergeant!
    Posts
    2,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    You know what onalandline? I like Obama about as much as I like hangovers, diarrhea, and other people's screaming kids... but this crap you're putting up is starting to go over the line. I'm even getting tired of it.

    What in the hell gives you the idea that reparations were ever considered by this guy? What inkling do you have that anybody even remotely close to his campaign has ever even thought about it?

    Your last couple of posts are showing a bit of a racist streak. You need to back the hell up and get over your whole "the darkie is going to run my life" thing. It's getting really old, and you're destroying any credibility you might have had.
    The Signature Religion is the one true religion. I know this is true, because it says so right here in this signature.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    "Chapel Thrill"
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    I'm assuming that you believe Obama will issue slavery reparations. If that is the case, please provide an argument next time, rather than dodging that burden by asking "Do you think....?" Tell us why you think Obama will issue reparations, despite having said in the past, "...the best reparations we can provide are good schools in the inner city and jobs for people who are unemployed."
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. "
    -Gandhi

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
    You know what onalandline? I like Obama about as much as I like hangovers, diarrhea, and other people's screaming kids... but this crap you're putting up is starting to go over the line. I'm even getting tired of it.

    What in the hell gives you the idea that reparations were ever considered by this guy? What inkling do you have that anybody even remotely close to his campaign has ever even thought about it?

    Your last couple of posts are showing a bit of a racist streak. You need to back the hell up and get over your whole "the darkie is going to run my life" thing. It's getting really old, and you're destroying any credibility you might have had.
    I appreciate the honesty.

    I just know that reparations has been brought up in the past in Washington, and it was sort of swept under the rug. I just figured if anyone would re-visit that issue, it would be Obama, but I could be totally wrong.

    I'll back down. I need to stop drinking so much coffee while posting.
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

  5. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A Big State
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    I appreciate the honesty.

    I just know that reparations has been brought up in the past in Washington, and it was sort of swept under the rug. I just figured if anyone would re-visit that issue, it would be Obama, but I could be totally wrong.

    I'll back down. I need to stop drinking so much coffee while posting.
    Right. Because that's the reason for your asinine threads. Too much coffee. I drink about 3 cups at a sitting and I don't go off on racist rants with the most ridiculous agendas. It took someone who doesn't even remotely like Obama to get you to shut the **** up. You detest Obama, we get it. We don't really need to know or care about whether you hate him because he's black and you think he'll ruin the American way of life, just make a sensible argument that doesn't smack of racism and/or idiocy.

    And reparations are a terrible idea, considering the fact that Obama needs to fix a sucky economy and a million other things. He's not going to issue reparations, it would be silly and it would be the fastest way to get him voted out in 2012.
    Everything is connected.
    Read my new novel here. Join an epic adventure.

    No liberal propaganda, I promise.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    First, you need to word your poll options better. One can hope that he won't do it, but still expect him to do it. I think Obama is likely to at least raise the issue. But I don't think he'll push it very hard.

  7. #7
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    My prediction:


    This issue will never be raised under Obama's presidency. If it is, it will be by Al Sharpton or some other jackass.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

  8. #8
    Owner / Senior Admin

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    I don't think he will. I think Obama is naive when it comes to foreign relations and policy, I think his policies will fail here in the US...but I don't think he's stupid...and it would take extreme stupidity to attempt to push through a policy addressing reparations.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson




  9. #9
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    President Elect Obama is a smart man. He won't call it reparations. Instead, it will be many different forms of aid for inner city residents. Free health care. Free day care. Free college education. Free internet access. Free computer. "Tax cuts" for people who don't actually pay taxes. Minimum wage increases. Federal aid for inner city school repairs. etc. etc. He is on record as wanting wealth redistribution aimed at the cities, and he'll make it happen. But he won't be stupid enough to call it reparations.

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    President Elect Obama is a smart man. He won't call it reparations. Instead, it will be many different forms of aid for inner city residents. Free health care. Free day care. Free college education. Free internet access. Free computer. "Tax cuts" for people who don't actually pay taxes. Minimum wage increases. Federal aid for inner city school repairs. etc. etc. He is on record as wanting wealth redistribution aimed at the cities, and he'll make it happen. But he won't be stupid enough to call it reparations.
    I predict an Obama welfare nation if he gets his way.
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

  11. #11
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A Big State
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    I know. Doesn't it make you mad that people are actually getting a chance to better themselves? That totally violates everything the United States stand for. I mean, good grief it was bad enough that they were given civil rights, now a chance to be on the same footing as everyone else? It's unacceptable! Helping inner-city families is communist! Helping poor kids go to college is un-American, giving children healthcare is wrong, and we absolutely cannot have programs that stop children from wandering the streets and being hooligans. No, we like keeping the inner-cities poor, that's the real American way. Bail-outs are reserved for rich, white CEO's. The American Dream is only for those who've had it all along.
    Everything is connected.
    Read my new novel here. Join an epic adventure.

    No liberal propaganda, I promise.

  12. #12
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Where ever you tell me, Drill Sergeant!
    Posts
    2,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalTruth View Post
    I know. Doesn't it make you mad that people are actually getting a chance to better themselves?
    What do inner-city kids not have that I did have growing up? And what's this whole civil rights straw man you're injecting? I grew up white, just outside of a small town in Northern Michigan, just above the poverty line. What, pray tell, did I have that inner-city kids do not?

    I've made something of myself, despite not being born with a silver spoon in my ass. I have a great job, I'm pulling down a free education, and I've seen the world. What built-in advantage did I have growing up the way I did?
    The Signature Religion is the one true religion. I know this is true, because it says so right here in this signature.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix View Post
    My prediction:


    This issue will never be raised under Obama's presidency. If it is, it will be by Al Sharpton or some other jackass.
    I don't know Al Sharpton but I heard Jesse Jackson speak about this. He could be one of the jackass.
    The greatest inventions are sex and spellcheck and I am proud to say I use both.

  14. #14
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,077
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Obama isn't going to run out reparations. The time for that is long past I think. I don't recall if we ever issued a kind of official apology or the like. I've always been in support of that, both for slavery and our slaughter of native Americans. Its only responsible to admit when you've done something wrong.

    Dolling out cash to people at this late date may make them happy but it doesn't really mean anything. I'd rather see a continued effort to simply treat minorities as fully equal members of the nation as it is today.

  15. #15
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalTruth View Post
    I know. Doesn't it make you mad that people are actually getting a chance to better themselves? That totally violates everything the United States stand for. I mean, good grief it was bad enough that they were given civil rights, now a chance to be on the same footing as everyone else? It's unacceptable! Helping inner-city families is communist! Helping poor kids go to college is un-American, giving children healthcare is wrong, and we absolutely cannot have programs that stop children from wandering the streets and being hooligans. No, we like keeping the inner-cities poor, that's the real American way. Bail-outs are reserved for rich, white CEO's. The American Dream is only for those who've had it all along.
    What a ridiculous rant riddled with straw men.

    1. No one claimed they were bad because people have a chance to better themselves.
    2. Asserting racism is terrible. Perhaps the dude is racist, but his comment (that particular argument) wasn't. It was a condemnation of welfare. Your claim is then, anyone against welfare is racist. Piss poor.
    3. You have bundled education, health care, and welfare into a single thing. None of these are mutually inclusive.
    4. As Gonzo noted, how does living in the inner city eliminate the opportunities available to all of us who were not born wealthy?
    5. Finally, being against welfare is not equivalent nor an argument in favor of bailing out CEO's.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  16. #16
    Owner / Senior Admin

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
    What built-in advantage did I have growing up the way I did?
    Don't you know? You are white and you are male. Therefore, you have it easy (according to liberology).
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson




  17. #17
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A Big State
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
    What do inner-city kids not have that I did have growing up? And what's this whole civil rights straw man you're injecting? I grew up white, just outside of a small town in Northern Michigan, just above the poverty line. What, pray tell, did I have that inner-city kids do not?

    I've made something of myself, despite not being born with a silver spoon in my ass. I have a great job, I'm pulling down a free education, and I've seen the world. What built-in advantage did I have growing up the way I did?
    Did you happen to live in a crime-riddled neighbourhood, with one or more of your parents missing? Were your schools extremely under-equipped? Were constantly pressured into joining gangs and/or selling drugs? If so, then I think you deserved help just as much as any other inner-city kid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd
    What a ridiculous rant riddled with straw men.
    Yes, but it's quite alright to rant about how the black man is going to give reparations to black people under the guise of help they genuinely need.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd
    1. No one claimed they were bad because people have a chance to better themselves.
    Then if welfare helps people, why is it so horrible in your opinion? To me, it does give people a chance to better themselves, puts them at the very least, on equal footing with everyone else (..wait, that's socialist, isn't it?) and if they want to screw it up from there, that's their problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd
    2. Asserting racism is terrible. Perhaps the dude is racist, but his comment (that particular argument) wasn't. It was a condemnation of welfare. Your claim is then, anyone against welfare is racist. Piss poor.
    That is because it is racism. And I will not candy-coat it. Inner-cities are predominantly black, saying that Obama is going to give reparations under the guise of "welfare" because they're his fellow black folk...that is racism to me. There's people against welfare who don't make it about race, who don't call it 'reparations' and make it seem like it's the first thing on a black president's agenda. Not everyone against welfare is racist, but there's a lot of people on here being racist. Cry out in indignation, I really don't care.

    3. You have bundled education, health care, and welfare into a single thing. None of these are mutually inclusive.
    evensaul seemed to think they are. And my response was to him. I never bundled welfare with healthcare or education, I was making the point that there is a lot of improvement needed in those areas, and it doesn't just need to be in inner cities. In rural areas of Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, e.t.c, there are schools that need a whole lot more funding and a lot of people that need much better, more accessible healthcare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd
    4. As Gonzo noted, how does living in the inner city eliminate the opportunities available to all of us who were not born wealthy?
    I have addressed that. I don't think only inner cities need better healthcare, public schools, and welfare when necessary. All across America, there are people who need the help, and I think they should get it regardless of their race, or their geographical location. Everyone should have the same opportunities, that's why America is the land of opportunity. If you want to botch it up, fine and dandy. But everyone should have a chance to better themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd
    5. Finally, being against welfare is not equivalent nor an argument in favor of bailing out CEO's.
    It's called a parallel. You know, looking at two different and yet similar things. No one was screaming about how wrong and un-American to bail-out CEO's, even though there was some dissent. But welfare, public school reform and healthcare for lower-income Americans who are in desperate need of assistance, well that's reparation. Or socialism or communism or Marxism. Whatever tickles your fancy.


    _________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________


    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    Don't you know? You are white and you are male. Therefore, you have it easy (according to liberology).
    And it has been that way for years and years. I am not saying it's still the case, because there are a lot of white males who need just as much help as a minority female. But it has been true for hundreds of years. White males have had it easy.
    Last edited by LiberalTruth; November 10th, 2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everything is connected.
    Read my new novel here. Join an epic adventure.

    No liberal propaganda, I promise.

  18. #18
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalTruth View Post
    Not everyone against welfare is racist, but there's a lot of people on here being racist.
    So if others denounce welfare or reparations, that's okay. But if I see a link between them based on Obama's stated goals and belief system, then its racism, because you're absolutely sure I'm a racist. Must be wonderful to see into people's hearts and read their minds like that, LT. Quite a gift. You must feel blessed.

  19. #19
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Let's be honest here. A black man being elected president was no small task. I think that for the last decade it could have been possible for a black man to be elected, but he had to do PRECISELY what Obama did, and that is to present himself as something NOT like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

    For Obama to push the reparations issue would be political suicide.

    On the issue of reparations, my personal view is that it's ********. Groups of people have been oppressing other groups of people since the beginning of time. How far back to do we go for reparations? Slavery? Oppression of Native Americans? What about the Irish? The Chinese who built our railroads? The Holocaust? The Spanish Inquisition? The Holy Roman Empire?

    It is the forward looking society that betters itself.

  20. #20
    ODN Administrator

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rural Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reparations In An Obama Presidency.

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalTruth View Post
    Did you happen to live in a crime-riddled neighbourhood, with one or more of your parents missing? Were your schools extremely under-equipped? Were constantly pressured into joining gangs and/or selling drugs? If so, then I think you deserved help just as much as any other inner-city kid.
    THAT is the BIGGEST failure of your argument. I cannot believe that you would sit here and pose as the champion of equality and sit there and say that some people are more deserving of assistance than others. So what if he had both parents, you're telling me that if he fit your criteria with that single exception, you'd deny him? You'd find him less worthy? What about if he fit your criteria but his neighborhood wasn't necessarily crime-ridden? Would you disqualilfy him from your aid then? Bah. Some are more equal than others, I guess. Liberology, indeed.

    To the topic at hand, I think it's pointless to suggest reparations. If the people who were responsible for slavery were still around, sure, I'd say go for it. I would not, however, charge the non-whites of today with the crimes of their great-great grandfathers and expect them to "repay society." It'd be a ridiculous miscarriage of "justice" in my opinion. Do I think Obama would try it? Not if he intended to run for a second term. .
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python


 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Debunking Obama Myths
    By CC in forum Politics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: October 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM
  2. McCain flip flops VS Obama flip flops
    By CC in forum Politics
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
  3. Obama takes the Fifth
    By Spartacus in forum Member Contributed News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
  4. Can Obama pull it off??
    By Spartacus in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM
  5. Barack Obama Worthy of Presidency Now?
    By Xanadu Moo in forum Politics
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: March 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •