Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Republican Floundering

Flip-flops, manipulation, and spinning of words. 3 things Bush and his administration excel at, especially in light of the new deadlock in the polls.

Cheat to win?

In the news: Rumsfeld flip-flops on Saddam/Al-Q
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...raq/index.html
    Bush uses partial quotes to misdirect American voters
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...bal/index.html

Acts of Desperation I say. Miserable and pathetic flailing of a dying administration. If they get re-elected I see huge assaults of criticism and appeals in the future.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Republican Floundering

Truth > republicans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fyshhed
    Acts of Desperation I say. Miserable and pathetic flailing of a dying administration. If they get re-elected I see huge assaults of criticism and appeals in the future.
    Appeals? Once the president's elected, there are only three ways he can lose office: Impeachment, death, or resignation. The first one's very unlikely. Bush is in great shape, and I doubt he'll be assassinated. He's not going to resign. If you're suggesting there's going to be a disparity between the popular and electoral votes again, I'd highly doubt it. Statistically speaking, it's almost impossible that it would happen two elections in a row, considering it's only occurred a handful of times in our history.

Post Thanks / Like

So you don't see a trend in the polls similar to the Bush/Gore election?
    50/50?

You're so used to elections being this close I have to admit I am too. But in the past these margins have been much larger for the entire race. Bush is a phenomenal polarizer. He also happens to cater only to the interests of conservatives and neocons.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post, there, Kevin... /\

Everybody waive to the nice secret service / NSA agents reading this thread.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The flip-flop virus finds another victim. Is there an emergency Republican 'spin doctor' available for Rumsfeld? It is a contagious virus and is no respecter of political pursuasion, in the UK Tony Blair is struggling hard not to make the same gaffe. 'Flip-flop' is very much alive and well and is here in the House of Commons, keeping our own spin doctors busy.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KB
    Appeals? Once the president's elected, there are only three ways he can lose office: Impeachment, death, or resignation.
    You are forgetting the most obvious way for an administration to lose its job: lose the next election. If they do lose this election, they lose their job, even though Bush has already been elected. What Fysh is refering to is how the election outcome is slipping through Bush's fingers and how they are resorting to wierd tactics in attempt to bring back support.
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neverending
    You are forgetting the most obvious way for an administration to lose its job: lose the next election. If they do lose this election, they lose their job, even though Bush has already been elected. What Fysh is refering to is how the election outcome is slipping through Bush's fingers and how they are resorting to wierd tactics in attempt to bring back support.
    Right, I was referring to within a given term, of course.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KB
    Right, I was referring to within a given term, of course.
    And the Bush adminsitration has reduced their enormous lead in the polls to a tie.
    If you're suggesting there's going to be a disparity between the popular and electoral votes again, I'd highly doubt it. Statistically speaking, it's almost impossible that it would happen two elections in a row, considering it's only occurred a handful of times in our history.
    This is actually an issue that I agree with you. I think either Bush or Kerry will have a strong following in the election. I think with current trends, Kerry looks as if he may be the one who wins it, though he may shoot himself in the foot on his "strong" point of domestic policy like Bush did with his "strong" point.
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)