Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Questions about Wii. HELP ME PLEASE!

So, suppose someone were to purchase a Wii for a mega-fantastic Christmas present for her family...and she is confused about the controllers.

What do I need for a family of 6 to play happily?

On our old Gamecube, 4 controllers worked perfectly for a Mario Kart showdown, which we still play all the time. But the Wii has so many more controllers, it seems, and I'm not sure what I need.

The console came with 1 remote and 1 nunchuk and the sports games. (What are the nunchuks even for???) An extra 9 game thingee came with another controller. I also got Mario Kart and that came with 2 wheels. Are those like a separate controller or does the remote control just go inside of it? Can you play Mario Kart without the wheel and just use the controllers?

I also got the Wii Fit and that comes with the balance board I think. But I'm more concerned about what I need to get as far as controllers, especially to play Mario Kart.

So, as of right now I have 2 remote controllers, 1 nunchuk, and 2 Mario wheels. What do I need so that 4 players can play most 4 player games at the same time?

Is there a Wii fan out there who can help me???
    Souls of the animal kingdom: eagle, fox, bottle-nose dolphin, octopus, house cat. Okay, let's jump this jump. -- Rod Kimble

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about Wii. HELP ME PLEASE!

It all just depends on which wii games you get. Some games need the nunchuks which give you more control of the game. Look on the back of the wii games to see if it requires nunchuks or not. If they do then you will need a nunchuck per wii controller. For example if the nunchuk is required and it is a two player game then you will need a nunchuk for each controller. Nunchuck and wii controller goes hand and hand. You use them both at the same time. I enjoy the wii TopSpin tennis. Four of us can play at a time if doing doubles. That would mean 4 wii controllers and and 4 nunchucks since nunchucks is required for that game.

Hope that helps!
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daman View Post
    Hope that helps!
    Thank you! It does. I'm sure my family will like to play a lot of sports games, especially tennis. So, I guess those nunchuk thingees are pretty important to have.

This is getting expensive....lol.
    Souls of the animal kingdom: eagle, fox, bottle-nose dolphin, octopus, house cat. Okay, let's jump this jump. -- Rod Kimble

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It the accessories that get you. I never thought I'd get a wii fit board. I didn't like the the thing at first, but when they made a snow boarding game with it. I got hooked! More money out the window.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daman View Post
    It the accessories that get you. I never thought I'd get a wii fit board. I didn't like the the thing at first, but when they made a snow boarding game with it. I got hooked! More money out the window.
    Thankfully, eBay is running a 30% cashback dealio, so far I've got the console, mario kart bundle, wii fit bundle, two other games...and now two more controllers w/ nunchuks...lol for 4 all total.

I had 2 10% coupons, and I'm getting over $200 back, so in the long run it'll be worth it. Until Christmas day when the fighting over it all begins.

Post Thanks / Like

MARIO KART!!!!!!!! Let the tournaments begin!!! As I said in a previous post on another thread...get Slip to play and let the kids at him!!! The crashing noise you hear will be him throwing the game away!!!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vargo View Post
    MARIO KART!!!!!!!! Let the tournaments begin!!! As I said in a previous post on another thread...get Slip to play and let the kids at him!!! The crashing noise you hear will be him throwing the game away!!!
    Hahaha! I could definitely picture that. My family loves Mario Kart. We've been playing it on Gamecube for a buncha years now. I just played with my daughter tonight. She beat me. My husband always comes in first, so we've come to accept that the race is actually for second place. My little 7 year old, she usually drives backwards or falls off on purpose. She's funny. Unless we're doing Baby Park. Then she's ultra serious, and even wins sometimes!

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

My husband is all about getting the Mario Cart. I made a comment about how I thought the little steering wheels looked cool in a commercial, and now that's what were getting for christmas... games for the kiddo, extra remotes, rechargable batteries and all that crud... it's crazy.

BTW, the WII Sports Bowling is the BEST GAME EVER. My grandmother just loves it.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ladyphoenix View Post
    BTW, the WII Sports Bowling is the BEST GAME EVER. My grandmother just loves it.
    We're getting that! I think this will be a lot of fun for my family. On Gamecube we've just been playing Mario Kart all these years because that' the only thing we could kind of all do together as far as games. I didn't think we'd be able to swing the Wii this year, so it will be a big surprise for the kids. I keep telling them how broke we are. Well, we are NOW. lol. We don't use credit cards ever, so everything we do is cash only. I've already got 2500 into Christmas this year...and it's only December 2. LOL.

I have to grocery shopping now...I hope the kids like cereal for dinner...lol.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I find that its better to have nunchucks with every controller you have because eventually you will need them.

For example me and my brother purchased mario and sonic olympics, we had two controllers and one nunchuk. When we played the game we realised events were easier with the nunchuk, so I had to go out and spend 25 pounds on a nunchuk.

Also Super Smash Bros. Brawl, is an excellent game... Love it

Personally i'm waiting for them to bring out Pro Evoloution 2009 out on the wii.
    .::The Swindall::.

"...In the beginning, man created god"

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I've watched then nephew play Mario Galaxy (I think it's called). He's a total freak for Mario everything. Unfortnately, I think if you put him in front of Donkey Kong or the first Super Mario Brothers on NES... he'd be SOL... Kids grow up playing Lego Starwars and need ME to help them beat levels in the original Legend of Zelda. Does anyone else think there's something wrong with that?
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I am addicted to the Fit and boxing

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Buy Super Smash Bros. It's an awesome social game.
    [CENTER]-=] Starcreator [=-

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

We're trying to do the Raving Rabbids (I think)... The little alien bunnies with wacko teeth that shoot plungers and travel in time... Yeah, that kind of thing... Well the one big bad guy after the whole plunger shooting game... He travelled in time... A lot like the terminator, which is funny, cause he's a bunny is a big mechanical bunny suit... wait... What????

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

You'll probably only need 2 Wii-motes + nunchaku for most 'social' games. Although if you do decide to get Smash Bros. Brawl, you might want to get more, because that game is crazy fun with four people.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME