Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Winning the lottery: Lady luck or fate?

Ive been contemplating this for quiet some time now, and for some reason it still
    baffels me.

If you had ask me this question 10 years ago, i would have definetly reply ''fate''. But as time has pasted, i have come to meet 2 individuals that have actually won the lottery. I know its not right to backtalk about people but i know these 2 characters, and i think to myself, if fate really had a hand in this... why would fate let these 2 people win, because they are not good people, i dont wanna get into details on why but just take my word for it. If it was odds then i would completly understand......

What do u think is the right answer?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winning the lottery: Lady luck or fate?

If there is one thing that is luck, it needs to be lottery. It's one of the few elements in life in fact where everything is done to make sure that it's random (that there is no cheating).
    A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
    - Wayne Gretzky

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Its fate in the sense that given X circumstance X number would be pick and X person would be in X place at X time to get said matching ticket etc.... but that is determinism vs randomness.

For all human purposes it is pure luck. There is no "reason" the winners win. They don't deserve it in some way and it is part of no specific plan that they win.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The same plan that determines winners, determines losers. In other words, there is no plan - unless someone is cheating.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post

Ive been contemplating this for quiet some time now, and for some reason it still
    baffels me.

If you had ask me this question 10 years ago, i would have definetly reply ''fate''. But as time has pasted, i have come to meet 2 individuals that have actually won the lottery. I know its not right to backtalk about people but i know these 2 characters, and i think to myself, if fate really had a hand in this... why would fate let these 2 people win, because they are not good people, i dont wanna get into details on why but just take my word for it. If it was odds then i would completly understand......

It's all fate. The fact that you met two different people who won the lottery is either a strange coincidence, or knowing two people who know how to cheat the lottery. I've never met anyone who's won the lottery, and I worked in the gambling industry for ten years. Considering that I've probably been around a heck of a lot more gamblers than you, I probably should've met more. The fact that I didn't seems to suggest that winning the lottery is pure chance.

THE MAD MOD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post

baffels me.

Okay, you can pm their names and addresses now, I will correspond with them from here onwards.

I believe it is pure luck and nothing more. I don't think it is fate.

Even if they are bad people and in your eyes don't deserve it, they won it, because it is luck.

You don't mention much about them, but did they suffer financially?
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    Okay, you can pm their names and addresses now, I will correspond with them from here onwards.

I believe it is pure luck and nothing more. I don't think it is fate.

Even if they are bad people and in your eyes don't deserve it, they won it, because it is luck.

You don't mention much about them, but did they suffer financially?
    To be honest, one was a biker and the other drug dealer... So they didnt have any financial problems before they won.. But from what i heard last the drug dealer guy squandered it all away and now hes broke...

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly we live in a world where both good and bad things happen to both good and bad people. The idea that there is some sort of cosmic justice that gives just a little more good things to good people than to bad people is wishful thinking.
    People are reciprocal in their behavior, so doing good things may lead to positive outcomes in that sense, but the idea that "fate" can choose one person to win the lottery over the other based on their proprieties is naive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vandaler View Post
    If there is one thing that is luck, it needs to be lottery. It's one of the few elements in life in fact where everything is done to make sure that it's random (that there is no cheating).
    i agree.
    It's luck unless someone is cheating...
    There are people who try to count possibility of winning in lottery and they say that they know the way to win, but there is so many possible results of win....

I know one man who won in lottery twice.... The prize was a small car, but it was twice during only a few years!!

Post Thanks / Like

Fate did not have a hand in this. Fate would be a single mother working two jobs to support her 3 kids finding an evelope on her door with 1 million dollars inside of it. Fate is things happening without the persons involvment. The lottery is 99.99% luck and 0.01% bit of knowledge. Picking a random combination of numbers has nothing to do with fate.
    "Do I have a girlfriend? Technically no. You'll be my girlfriend and I'll make it so."
    -John Legend, in Green Light