Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gay Marriage vs. Civil Union - discrimination in term

Quote Originally Posted by HeloDollyLlama View Post
    Are you going to eliminate the married-joint and married-filing-separately options on the 1040? Make your wife shop for her own health insurance even though she doesn't work? And so on.
    I would certainly agree that there shouldn't be an issue of "Married" as far as taxes go, but I fail to see how the law affects how private businesses offer insurance to individuals.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

I've been given a "timeout"
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ladyphoenix View Post
    I would certainly agree that there shouldn't be an issue of "Married" as far as taxes go, but I fail to see how the law affects how private businesses offer insurance to individuals.
    Right now the law does not prevent discrimination in health coverage. If companies cannot discriminate against the disabled, they cannot discriminate against gay partners either. But they do.

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Right now the law does not prevent discrimination in health coverage. If companies cannot discriminate against the disabled, they cannot discriminate against gay partners either. But they do.
    I think you misunderstand my meaning. Large companies who provide insurance to their employees, for instance, I work for Cummins, which employs approximately 30k people world wide, offer insurance to what they call "domestic partners." That's something that's provided by Anthem (Blue Cross Blue Shield), the company who we contract with to provide our insurance. The requirement is only that two people live in the same home for a year, and can prove such. Nothing more. You'll find that more and more companies offer such insurance today, without the laws having changed. It's a good business practice, and if given the opportunity to work for a company which offers domestic partner insurance versus one which doesn't, I'd choose one which does. I'm sure there are many people who factor in such a thing when deciding whether or not to leave their current jobs, or take a job in the first place.

So again, I fail to see how law would really have much of an impact, or even where it should, given that these changes are coming about in spite of there being no law specifically prohibiting companies from denying health insurance benefits to cohabitating, otherwise unmarried (legally speaking) couples.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ladyphoenix View Post
    I fail to see how law would really have much of an impact, or even where it should, given that these changes are coming about in spite of there being no law specifically prohibiting companies from denying health insurance benefits to cohabitating, otherwise unmarried (legally speaking) couples.
    Without the law, only people with good bosses will get equal treatment.

With the law, everyone will get equal treatment.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with that, is that too many laws and regulations are already tangled up in the issue of who is married and who isn't. Are you going to eliminate the married-joint and married-filing-separately options on the 1040? Make your wife shop for her own health insurance even though she doesn't work? And so on.
    You can still give those benefits to committed couples.

Just have the government grant benefits to all civil unions, gay and straight unions alike.

So a couple can have a marriage (which is not recognized by the government but still has all of the religious and personal aspects) and a civil union (for the government benefits).

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Gay Marriage vs. Civil Union - discrimination in term

We need leadership, good laws and good policy. And above all we need fairness.
    I agree that political stands are a bit of a hassel for homosexual couples that wish to marry, but the truth is that even if they can marry and we do sort out how such things should be handled legally, it doesn't mean that people will be okay with the idea.
    Let's face it, no matter how things work out, gay people can't live openly without being attacked over issues both legal and private.
    Hate me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djlee6 View Post
    I agree that political stands are a bit of a hassel for homosexual couples that wish to marry, but the truth is that even if they can marry and we do sort out how such things should be handled legally, it doesn't mean that people will be okay with the idea.
    Let's face it, no matter how things work out, gay people can't live openly without being attacked over issues both legal and private.
    For now...that will change in time I am sure. Blacks could not walk outside for fear of attack or harassment for years....clearly that is not the case anymore...

My opinion of the whole gay marriage thing is this:

I am against the idea of gay marriage...I deplore it completely. It is a perversion of the concept and history of marriage itself. If I ran a country, it would be illegal.

That being said...this is the United States of America. There is nothing in the Constitution that says that marriage is defined strictly as one man and one woman. It is not the governments job to give us morals or to enforce their on morality upon us. Being that their is nothing that prevents or restricts marriage upon gays in the Constitution....and in fact it is more supported than otherwise....(think preamble of the Constitution) then they should have that right.

If the government were to add an Amendment to the Constitution that defined marriage as one man and one woman, I would support that whole heartedly and this issue would be non existent. But of course, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas now would we not?

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

Same-sex marriages and civil unions are nothing,but components of this decaying civilization that lead America toward the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
    Same-sex marriages and civil unions are nothing,but components of this decaying civilization that lead America toward the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah.
    How about address what this thread is actually about?

In fact I Challenge to support a claim. you to even address what this thread is actually about instead of trolling with your -------- opinions.
    Show me the government that does not infringe upon anyone's rights, and I will no longer call myself an anarchist.~Jacob Halbrooks
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.~Benjamin Franklin
    "Go big or Go home"~ LoLo Bean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhoamI View Post
    For now...that will change in time I am sure. Blacks could not walk outside for fear of attack or harassment for years....clearly that is not the case anymore...

My opinion of the whole gay marriage thing is this:

I am against the idea of gay marriage...I deplore it completely. It is a perversion of the concept and history of marriage itself. If I ran a country, it would be illegal.

That being said...this is the United States of America. There is nothing in the Constitution that says that marriage is defined strictly as one man and one woman. It is not the governments job to give us morals or to enforce their on morality upon us. Being that their is nothing that prevents or restricts marriage upon gays in the Constitution....and in fact it is more supported than otherwise....(think preamble of the Constitution) then they should have that right.

If the government were to add an Amendment to the Constitution that defined marriage as one man and one woman, I would support that whole heartedly and this issue would be non existent. But of course, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas now would we not?
    True enough. But isn't it also true that there are still places were blacks aren't welcome? There are still businesses that run them out and refuse to help them. There are gay people that go through this too.
    Don't misunderstand: I'm not at all saying that gay rights are anywhere close to race rights. It's only an extension of your comparison.
    In all honesty, I think this is one of those things we must agree to disagree. I think gays have every right to marry. Just how does it mock tradition? For years my aunt had a relationship was looked down on, and now it's too much for them to be together. It breaks my heart because loosing love, no matter who it is, hurts. And not being able to love out of fear, that's even worse.
    I know...If I had never confessed myself when I had, I would never had been able to live with myself.
    Hate me.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9