Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Women are better drivers than men

I would argue that men, on average, are better drivers than women. Here's the reasoning.

First, I start with the assumption that both genders are equal in the natural skills that it takes to drive well. That's not to say that there might be aspects of the genders that makes one a worse/better driver than the other but as far as I know, they all equal out (being too aggressive and being too timid can both be problems).

So if both genders natural ability are equal, what would be the difference that make men better driver? Time spent behind the wheel. All else being equal, a man is going to spend more time behind the wheel than a woman. If a man and a woman are in a relationship and are both in the car, the man is more likely to be driving. Likewise men are more likely to engage in driving professions like taxi driver or trucker.

So unless women are more naturally gifted at driving than men are, men will be better drivers on average due to spending more time driving and therefore gaining more skill and experience.

I would say it's a subtle difference in this culture since here women drive frequently enough to gain good skills. In more patriarchal societies, like in the Middle East, this factor is probably more significant.
    Last edited by mican333; August 30th, 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I think culture would be a factor, but in the modern city environment I think what this Australian study found is probably accurate for most modern cities.

Women are better drivers than men, University of New South Wales study finds
    http://www.news.com.au/national/men-...-1226321961240

DAMNING new evidence from police and road safety experts proves males are worse drivers than females and are more likely to speed, crash and, tragically, die behind the wheel.

From relatively simple tasks like parallel parking to more challenging behaviour on busy highways, women have emerged as safer and more skilful motorists all round.

The figures at the lethal end of the equation are frightening, especially at this time of year with tens of thousands of families hitting the road to head home from the long weekend.
    In the 12 months to the end of February, four times as many male drivers were involved in fatal crashes.

And a recent study by the University of New South Wales Transport and Road Safety research unit found that whether men were drivers, passengers, motorcyclists or pedestrians, they were 1.6 to 1.7 times more likely to be killed on the road.

"Males are certainly at higher risk than females, whether it's per car, per head of population or per the kilometres travelled," road safety chair Professor Raphael Grzebieta."They are simply more risk-prone and females are more risk-averse."

Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research figures show men accounted for more than 72 per cent of all driving offences recorded by police in NSW in the 12 months to last September.

That equated to male drivers being caught for 470,000 offences in a year, including more than 164,000 cases of speeding.

And men are not just breaking the law more often - they're losing control of their vehicles and putting lives at risk in far greater numbers.

Part of the reason may be that men do a lot more driving than women. Australian Bureau of Statistics figures show female drivers account for just one-third of total motor vehicle travel on Australian roads.

However, NSW Centre for Road Safety general manager Margaret Prendergast said even with that imbalance, male drivers were "significantly over-represented" in serious accidents, accounting for almost 80 per cent of fatal crashes.

While young males are historically the most reckless drivers, most men regardless of age have worse driving habits than women, according to veteran driving instructor Russell White.

"After sitting next to drivers for 22 years, experience has shown me that females are better. When you train ladies you generally find they will be much better on the brake pedal and are often far easier to teach, because you're not having to unwind a whole heap of bad habits," he said.

And then from an AAMI 2008 FACT Sheet:

Experience of Crashes
    ■ Women tend to have fewer crashes and their car accident claims tend to cost less than men’s (source: 2007 AAMI claims data)
    ■ Men are more likely than women to be involved in serious accidents – that is, men experience more head-on collisions, roll-overs, loss-of-control crashes and collisions involving pedestrians, cyclists or animals whereas women are more likely than men to collide with stationary objects or reverse into other cars (source: 2007 AAMI claims data)
    ■ Men are more likely than women to have experienced a crash – 82 per cent versus 77 per cent (source: 2007 AAMI Crash Index)
    ■ Men are more likely than women to have hit an animal while driving – 60 per cent versus 41 per cent (source: 2007 AAMI Crash Index)
    ■ As drivers, men are more likely than women to have had a close call with a pedestrian/cyclist – 46 per cent versus 35 per cent (source: 2007 AAMI Crash Index)

Driver Manners and Etiquette

■ Women are more likely than men to think drivers are becoming more aggressive – 94 per cent versus 88 per cent (source: 2007 AAMI Crash Index)
    ■ One in five men (20 per cent) admits to being an impatient driver versus one in six women or 16 per cent (source: 2007 AAMI Crash Index)
    ■ Men are more likely than women to rudely gesture at another driver – 59 per cent versus 55 per cent (source: 2007 AAMI Crash Index)
    ■ Men are more likely than women to verbally abuse another driver – 60 per cent versus 57 per cent (source: 2007 AAMI Crash Index)
    ■ Men are more likely than women to have been a passenger in a car being driven dangerously – 66 per cent versus 57 per cent (source: 2007 AAMI Crash Index)
    Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

@ eye..
    I don't think the majority of those stats are adjusted to give a direct comparison, or basically account for who makes up the greater number of drivers. It treats men and women as being equally represented on the road (IE 50/50). We all know that women are not equal to men (zing.. double sexist joke and valid point).

For example 4xs as many men were involved in a fatal crash.
    Well, that makes men look bad, unless they represent 5xs the people on the road.
    Or if they are engaged in an inherently more fatal class of driving, such as driving on interstates vs driving to the grocery store across the street.

I am not convinced that a comparison of who has a drivers license is a very good comparison of who is actually on the road.
    As pointed out earlier if a man and woman are married and both have a license and only one car. Chances are the man is on the road 90% of the time over the woman. (at least that would be true in my case.

In just a personal experience sense, I find it very odd to see a man and woman in a car, with the woman driving. I just don't see it often at all.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    Men are obviously more willing to drive under the influence than women. Women are more careful and will think about what can possibly go wrong before they do something.

I am paying less insurance than my male counterparts and never made a serious accident in my life. This article says a lot. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...137202638.html
    Men are such superior drivers that we can be under the influence and still drive better than women. Most of our accidents are due to correcting from the poor decisions of women who are driving on the road with us. As our role as protector, we often take evasive actions to avoid accidents. The woman who pulls out into traffic has no idea that she caused an accident as she drives merrily away. The guy who saw her, swerved to protect her, resulting in an accident pays the price and the insurance increase.

So, in short, as a female driver, please just say thank you.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

5. Likes evensaul liked this post
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Just drove 6 hours on interstate for vacation..
    So a personal anecdote, driving for 6 hours we saw 3 cars with a man and woman in it, where the man was driving. Then at 5min at an intersection we saw 8 cars with the reverse being the case. Also saw about twice as many men driving as women, with the truckers being nearly all women.

I had my kids counting as a game, and it is a loose count... but it pretty much is in line with my point from earlier.

When studies come out that discount some piece of common knowledge...I am more prone to go with the common sense approach.

---
    Another thing, hitting an animal is not negligent driving as far as I know.
    I hit an owl in the air my first time driving at night. I was hardly negligent or a poorer driver than the woman who was sitting next to me.

My dad hit a squirrel the other day. It was crossing a 4 lane hwy, made it past the median then turned back and ran under our vehicle.
    I have no idea how that would count as negligence or as a relevant factor for who would be a better driver. .. Did the woman in the other lane do a better job that the squirrel turned around instead of running under her vehicle?

Point is, that statistic tells me there is something else at work.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point! There's a rapid increase of road accidents these days and more than half of teen motorists accidents comes from men drivers. Apparently, a recent study by the University of Michigan's Transportation Research Bureau asserts that there are more licensed girl drivers than men in the U.S. This reverses a gender gap that has existed when driving for a long time, notes the AP. Experts claim that the driver's license shift will have substantial influences on safety technology and economics.
    Last edited by kentwhite30; November 20th, 2014 at 08:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

In the UK the insurance companies think they are, but they define good driving as driving with less risk. Many men would say men can take more risk since they can handle it.
    When you think of the carnage and heartache caused by the car and add to that the pollution perhaps we should all take less risk.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaptonok View Post
    In the UK the insurance companies think they are, but they define good driving as driving with less risk. Many men would say men can take more risk since they can handle it.
    When you think of the carnage and heartache caused by the car and add to that the pollution perhaps we should all take less risk.
    You are free to give up your car if you have one. No one is stopping you. In the UK, I have heard getting a D.L. requires nothing short of a miracle.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps not better drives but probably safer drivers.
    Jesus is unbelievable!

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
    Perhaps not better drives but probably safer drivers.
    Based on? What do you mean by "safer?" Fewer accidents, fewer fatalities?
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Based on? What do you mean by "safer?" Fewer accidents, fewer fatalities?
    Apparently, women are much more cautious and drive slower than men, any accidents they have result in less damage/injury. Insurance premiums here were certainly cheaper for women than men - until a new 'equality' law came in preventing companies setting insurance rate by gender - which would reflect that the insurance companies consider women to be less of a risk than men.

....women are less likely to have points on their license for speeding, were 13% less likely to have been involved in an accident and that fewer claims were made on lady driver car insurance policies.

Motoring organisation, Wunelli, backed this explanation by studying the ‘black box’ recorders of 19,000 motorists over 40 million journeys over four years. They found that women drivers are 28% less likely to drive at night than men – a time when the risk of serious accidents increases. They also found that women were 12% less likely to exceed the speed limit than men and 11% less likely to brake hard, supporting the idea that women are better drivers than men.

NCP Car Parks also found that women were more efficient at parking than men although they took a few seconds longer to park, women drivers were twice as likely to park centrally than their male counterparts. Men tend to get their car into a space and rush off, unaware that they have strayed into the next space.

http://www.octagoninsurance.com/guid...ter-drivers-2/
    Jesus is unbelievable!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3