Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thou Shalt not: Murder or Kill?

Quote Originally Posted by ladykrimson View Post
    Yes, he was speaking to people. But it does not say "Thou shall not murder people." It says "Thou shall not murder."
    Is there any reason to suspect that He meant the commandment to apply to animals?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Is there any reason to suspect that He meant the commandment to apply to animals?
    I don't see why not. I'm pretty sure if there is a god, he or she would frown on the murder (by this I mean killing a living creature for fun or out of rage or the like) of animals.
    It is not our abilities in life that show who we truly are; it is our choices. Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying the commandment means animals shouldn't kill each other, or people shouldn't kill animals? Whichever, you'll need to support with other evidence from the Bible, such as context and other verses that support your interpretation.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Are you saying the commandment means animals shouldn't kill each other, or people shouldn't kill animals? Whichever, you'll need to support with other evidence from the Bible, such as context and other verses that support your interpretation.
    Nevermind. The word "murder" according to the dictionary refers only to human beings. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by ladykrimson; February 10th, 2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added apology.
    It is not our abilities in life that show who we truly are; it is our choices. Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem - you made me think about it, and that is a plus.

6. Likes ladykrimson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Murder and killing have a lot in common as we all know. There are many versions of the Bible. Some say thou shalt not kill while others say thou shalt not murder. It isn't easy to decipher the command but if you read the whole Bible end to end then God's meaning is very clear. In the New Testament Jesus says that there shouldn't be such a thing as an eye for an eye or a tooth for a tooth. He was saying that harming others should not be an act of revenge. When God commands us to kill then we must kill. Otherwise we should not take matters into our own hands. If someone tries to kill you and in defense you kill them then that's alright. God says that if someone hates somebody else then they have already committed murder in their hearts. God also says that when someone murders someone else their life should also be taken. I think his meaning is pretty clear. Murder is when you destroy another human being's life on purpose to remove them from the face of the earth. Usually for revenge reasons. Killing is also destroying another's life but for varying reasons. I think that the correct interpretation of that commandment would be murder

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5