Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

BEHOLD! The new atheist icon is here:

As you can see, next to my avatar, I have implemented the newest icon for the atheist philosophy, the ____. The ____ is a powerful emblem that has been used for generations by atheists everywhere to denote their lack of belief in any religious dogma. I encourage all atheists on the boards to adopt the ____ as their new icon and applaud all my brothers and sisters who are already using this. Cast off the darwin fish, my friends. It's time to evolve away from a statement about evolution and embrace the symbol of our philosophy, the ____.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BEHOLD! The new atheist icon is here:

is it just me, or my browser sucks... i can't see anything

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the humor Zhav. SK - if you aren't joking, realize that Zhav is - there is no icon.
    I think, therefore I am. Thus, while I sleep, I am not! Could this be why time appears to have no bearing while asleep, because you do not exist? What is time? What defines existence? A body, a mind, a soul? Thus, I envy those that die, for they have the answers. Yet, what is death? Does the sentience of an entity cease to be at the time the body fails? We shall all see one day. ;?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Zhav's icon, a vacant space? - Hmmmm.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vorketh
    I enjoy the humor Zhav. SK - if you aren't joking, realize that Zhav is - there is no icon.

hehe, i thought as much :p

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Think of it as a symbol of the god I believe in. HA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    Think of it as a symbol of the god I believe in. HA!
    F1Fan and Galendir beat you to this one months ago But you can still have your fun.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm telling you, we need a Grabzorian icon. Until then, the " " works pretty well.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fyshhed
    F1Fan and Galendir beat you to this one months ago But you can still have your fun.
    Well crap... :rolleyes: :red: :neut: :rolleyes:

Zhavric =

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious Zhav, which of the following is most applicable to you...

As an atheist, _________.
    1. you merely reject all current claims of God's* existence. Which leaves open the possibility that there are claims you may not be aware of that may provide a sound explanation as to God's* existence.
    2. you believe that God* does not exist.
    3. you have no belief one way or the other concerning God*.

* God defined as any (doesn't matter which) of the 5 major philosophies concerning the nature of God (Theism, Deism, Pantheism, Panentheism, and Finite Godism).
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    you merely reject all current claims of God's* existence. Which leaves open the possibility that there are claims you may not be aware of that may provide a sound explanation as to God's* existence.
    Agnostic.

you believe that God* does not exist.
    Strong atheist.

you have no belief one way or the other concerning God*.
    Weak atheist.

I would put myself closest to strong atheism, though I still see this as a loaded question.

Post Thanks / Like

Finite Godism is a subset of Theism as is Monotheism and Polytheism. If you are going to list it as a separate classification, you should do the same for Polytheism.
    Also, If you're going to distinguish between Pantheism and Panentheism you should probably also include Acosmism or else utilize the broader category of Monism to represent all three.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

No it isn't Gal. Finite Godism holds that God is beyond the universe but is not in supreme control of it (as opposed to theism). Theism holds to a God who is both beyond and in the world (God is transcendent and immanent). God is infinite in theism (all powerful, all knowledgeable, etc...), and limited in finite godism (limited in power, knowledge, etc...). The 5 basic classifications are divided by what they claim pertaining to the nature of God. Monotheism and polytheism are not philosophies concerning the nature of God, but of quantity of God(s).

Now finite godism has sub categories of beliefs, those would include (but not limited to) finite monotheism (which says there is only finite God, others believe there are many finite gods with one who is supreme among them (henotheism), and still others believe there are many finite gods, each with their own sphere of activity (polytheism).

Finite godism, is certainly NOT a subset of theism. This of course, does require a little background in philosophy and the history of philosophy (which you said you had, but it is not indicated as such here). Proponents of theism as a philosophy have been Augustine, Anselm, Aquinas, and in modern history, Leibnez and CS Lewis. Leading philosophers for finite godsim would include Plato (Demiurge) and Aristotle. In modern times one thinks of Hume, John Stuart Mill, William James, and perhaps the strongest representation comes from Edgar Brightman.

Did you have the privilege of studying the works of any of these philosophers?
    Last edited by Apokalupsis; October 26th, 2004 at 02:42 PM.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    I would put myself closest to strong atheism, though I still see this as a loaded question.
    Not loaded, I just want to illustrate why there is an icon here for atheism. The specific icon for atheism being changed has been discussed elswhere, and I have no problem changing it to something more suitable. But there does need to be an icon available for atheism here at ODN. I'll explain slowly to illustrate clearly...

When we have a philosophical proposition, should it tell us:
    1. X is true.
    2. I don't know if X is true.
    3. I don't care about X (or "I have no thoughts about X").

?
    Last edited by Apokalupsis; October 26th, 2004 at 02:57 PM.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

great, now I have to choose a symbol, because if I don't I'll become an atheist.

weak, yo

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

lol Yeah, I guess that's another reason to have an Atheism icon. By default, all people who register would be atheists if we used Zha'v suggestion. At least now as it is set, when we don't see a symbol, it denotes they have either not selected their theological philosophy or they are indifferent to the matter.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Depends...In real life or in the chat rooms?
    Post Thanks / Like

what about a smiley face poopin on a toilet, thast what i feel like doing every time a christian preaches to me...

Post Thanks / Like

Putting up an example of something like a IPU or GSEB isn't much of an atheist stance, sort of a mock agnostic one. Leaving it blank covers those who are unaffiliated or don't want to share.

How about an empty square or empty set sign or something? An icon that means nothing.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to suggest this as the atheist icon again:
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

Post Thanks / Like

Zhav's icon, a vacant space? - Hmmmm.
    A formula of the devil:

" He is nobody and nothing, but this nothing tranfers one into a complete nonentity."

I always love it when atheists reveal their true nature.
    For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast