Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

The Impotrance of Comic Books

If you hadn't noticed my avatar, I like comic books, and I believe that the "super hero" premise is like the science fiction movement of the '50s and '60s. It is a new medium for very philosophical work to be done in. Take for example "The Watchmen". This comic book explores dark, philosophical themes and leaves you wondering in the end "Do the ends justify the means?". These books make us question our beliefs about right and wrong. So, do you think comic books can be important philosophical writings or are just disposable kiddie fare?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Impotrance of Comic Books

Aren't they called "graphic novels" these days? LOL. Yes, I love comic books because I am a lover of the visual arts as well as science fiction and a thought-provoking story. I haven't gotten into The Watchmen yet, but I hear it's pretty killer. Comic books can be more then "kiddie fare", in fact some of the best ones are not for kids, in my opinion. My 7-year-old loves Star Wars, but we will only read the tamer issues. And yes, since comic books involve literature they definitely can explore important philosophical ideas. I don't think that just because they contain pictures that makes the substance of the story any less valid than regular books.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Impotrance of Comic Books

I myself have never read any Star Wars comics, but I do love the series. Say, I know this is no discussion forum, but have you perchance read the series "Ex Machina"? It is a superb series that brings up good and evil in heroes and politics, if you are into comics, definitely check this one out, but, eh, don't let the kids see it...............