Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Voter Intimidation - DOJ inexplicably drops suit against New Black Panthers

Remember the Philadelphia New Black Panther members that intimidated white voters at the polls? They stationed themselves directly outside the main entrance to the polling location in full Black Panther uniforms, holding billy clubs and verbally intimidated voters they suspected of not supporting Obama.

Well, the Bush Department of Justice filed a suit against these individuals for violating federal election and civil rights laws. The defendants did not file a reply, rendering a default judgement appropriate.

The Obama Department of Justice has inexplicably dropped the case against these individuals.

Here is an affidavit by a witness, Bartle Bull, who is an attorney and former civil rights attorney that worked in Mississipi in the mid sixties to secure voting rights for African-Americans.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Voter Intimidation - DOJ inexplicably drops suit against New Black Panthers

Yay for the Obamastapo! It's change you better believe in...or else!
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, this is rather silly. Of course, the DOJ is going to do what it's going to do (I highly doubt Obama made any part of this decision), but they should still be prosecuted.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The rumor is that the political appointees overruled the career lawyers at the DOJ. So Obama might bear quite a lot of blame for this.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Well for him to take the blame someone would have to report on it. Good luck with that.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cds69 View Post
    Remember the Philadelphia New Black Panther members that intimidated white voters at the polls? They stationed themselves directly outside the main entrance to the polling location in full Black Panther uniforms, holding billy clubs and verbally intimidated voters they suspected of not supporting Obama.

Well, the Bush Department of Justice filed a suit against these individuals for violating federal election and civil rights laws. The defendants did not file a reply, rendering a default judgement appropriate.

The Obama Department of Justice has inexplicably dropped the case against these individuals.

Here is an affidavit by a witness, Bartle Bull, who is an attorney and former civil rights attorney that worked in Mississipi in the mid sixties to secure voting rights for African-Americans.
    I suppose it is simply classic white guilt resulting in anti-white racism. Along the lines of, since whites persecuted blacks for so long and prevented them from voting, maybe they deserve to get a dose of their own medicine.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Well for him to take the blame someone would have to report on it. Good luck with that.
    How hard can it be?
    “When men hire themselves out to shoot other men to order, asking nothing about the justice of their cause, I don’t care if they are shot themselves."

- Herbert Spencer

Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe the intimidation was a little overblown.

In this first video, we have a bunch of white people standing around the Panthers calmly talking on cell phones and smiling. They don't look too intimidated to me:

In this second video, when the cops showed up to arrest them, they didn't even take the club out of his hand. They just casually walk the Panthers to the police car. That's either bad police work, or they didn't see a threat:

Did the DOJ ever give a reason why the suit was dropped?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

In this first video, we have a bunch of white people standing around the Panthers calmly talking on cell phones and smiling. They don't look too intimidated to me:
    They were standing outside of voting booths displaying weapons. They are an activist political group.

Imagine if a bunch of redneck cowboys--say, the Minutemen--decided to stand outside voting booths with guns on their hips. (It's sad that I'd have to craft such an example to get someone to understand the principle; are people so biased toward liberal activist groups? Or is it black activist groups? Or is it liberal black activist groups?)
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly these panthers, whatever their intentions were in the wrong, and should be prosecuted if they actually broke a law.

I don't know the legal standing of the case or the laws involved so I can't say. Dropping it without saying why (assuming that is what happened) certainly looks bad considering all the racial overtones involved. If they dropped it because they didn't think they could make the charges stick or because it was simply very low on the priority list I could understand.

I think the implication of what they were doing is serious, especially if you want to aggressively pursue other cases of voter intimidation. If it is part of a wider deescalation of voter intimidation cases then it is just a shift in priorities. Really I don't see enough info/evidence to make a strong judgement other than it doesn't play well in the media or look good on the face of it.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Clearly these panthers, whatever their intentions were in the wrong, and should be prosecuted if they actually broke a law.

I don't know the legal standing of the case or the laws involved so I can't say. Dropping it without saying why (assuming that is what happened) certainly looks bad considering all the racial overtones involved. If they dropped it because they didn't think they could make the charges stick or because it was simply very low on the priority list I could understand.

I think the implication of what they were doing is serious, especially if you want to aggressively pursue other cases of voter intimidation. If it is part of a wider deescalation of voter intimidation cases then it is just a shift in priorities. Really I don't see enough info/evidence to make a strong judgement other than it doesn't play well in the media or look good on the face of it.
    Maybe if it the people doing the intimidating were white, it would have been higher on the priority list...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The really nightmare part of this is that 4 days after the dismissal of charges, one of these men was appointed to be a Democratic Poll Watcher.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Autolykos View Post
    Blogs are great and all, but they aren't the way a majority of American's receive their news, for the American public to get concerned it would require one of the MSM outlets to cover the story.
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cds69 View Post
    The really nightmare part of this is that 4 days after the dismissal of charges, one of these men was appointed to be a Democratic Poll Watcher.
    Clearly not a good choice...

Now purely guessing, I imagine those guys were there trying to counter act what they saw as intimidation by some other threat (real or imagined) and that they were "guarding" the poll station against said other forces. Of course these morons look excessively threatening and nutty. And nutty adds a level of threatening.

I'm sure they might say that's only because they are black but of course that is BS. They were carrying clubs and dressed in leather and may as well have had signs on their necks saying "bad ass".

Anyhow. As a Dem poll watcher, they are there for the interest of the dem party, not as a neutral observer. So long as they aren't dressed like paramilitaries its probably fine. But I'm guessing someone who would do that, would also do something stupid as a poll watcher and thus I wouldn't trust them to present the party well (if I were a dem).

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    Maybe if it the people doing the intimidating were white, it would have been higher on the priority list...
    Hard to say, but you are free to imagine whatever you like.

I'm guessing it wouldn't.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say, but you are free to imagine whatever you like.

I'm guessing it wouldn't.
    I think a bigger stink would have been raised about it--or it would have been raised by someone that the Obama administration has more desire to allay.

When a black professor gets arrested for disorderly conduct, Obama feels the need to speak out.

When black panthers stand at voting booths with weapons on display, Obama doesn't feel the need to say anything.

Just sayin'.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    I think a bigger stink would have been raised about it--or it would have been raised by someone that the Obama administration has more desire to allay.
    Well, if it was a conservative group, lets say the border watch people, then liberals would be up in arms about it. Because its a "liberal group" (although I would think of them as militant rather than liberal) then its the conservatives making a big deal of it. My guess is you listen more to conservative oriented media so you hear a lot about this. If you listened to liberal media I'm sure there is some liberal story you'd be aware of.

When a black professor gets arrested for disorderly conduct, Obama feels the need to speak out.
    a. He was directly asked
    b. He is a personal friend of the guy involved in that incident
    c. This happened before he became president

I'm sure if asked on this case.... he'd have learned his lesson and would say no comment.

When black panthers stand at voting booths with weapons on display, Obama doesn't feel the need to say anything.
    Dude, it happened in Nov 2008, its not a big current event news story. Its just political backwash.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if it was a conservative group, lets say the border watch people, then liberals would be up in arms about it. Because its a "liberal group" (although I would think of them as militant rather than liberal) then its the conservatives making a big deal of it. My guess is you listen more to conservative oriented media so you hear a lot about this. If you listened to liberal media I'm sure there is some liberal story you'd be aware of.

a. He was directly asked
    b. He is a personal friend of the guy involved in that incident
    c. This happened before he became president
    Why wasn't he directly asked about this?

And so what if it happened before he became president. All of a sudden Barack Obama doesn't talk about things that happened before his inauguration?

I'm sure if asked on this case.... he'd have learned his lesson and would say no comment.
    Of course, because he has no white people to criticize.

Dude, it happened in Nov 2008, its not a big current event news story. Its just political backwash.
    Ah. When black people commit crimes, it's just political backwash. Nice.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly not a good choice...

Now purely guessing, I imagine those guys were there trying to counter act what they saw as intimidation by some other threat (real or imagined) and that they were "guarding" the poll station against said other forces.
    Irrelevant, they do not have the authority to guard a poll station that is specifically resevered solely to civilian law enforcement.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Irrelevant, they do not have the authority to guard a poll station that is specifically resevered solely to civilian law enforcement.
    Its irrelevant to the legal case, yes. But that wasn't what I was speaking to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast