Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: Which position was better argued

Voters
8. This poll is closed
  • Pro-Life

2 25.00%
  • Pro-Choice

6 75.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thom

Re: Abortion should be illegal.

Abortion shouldn't be illegal. There are too many factors that come into play.

In previous threads a few people habe mentioned having unsafe sex, and so it's really your own fault but people end up pregnant for other reasons.

Condoms burst, the pill is only good 98% of the time, and thats just to mention the two largest contraceptives.

I know that the chances of a woman getting pregnant if both parties are careful are slim, but it does happen.

Also, sexual abuse - rape figures are simply staggering, and it's not unheard of for a woman to end up pregnant. She hasn't asked for that.

We can't make it illegal in certain situations and not others, so generally it is best left at the choice of the parents.

What can be controlled is up until what stage a termination is possible. Maybe we have to be more stringent on these rules, but thats another debate.

I agree with the previous comment, that you infrindge a womans rights to take away what is rightfully her choice.

ACVDelaCruz

Quote Originally Posted by Comtesse View Post
    Frankly, this issue is fairly pointless to debate. I'd like to point out that abortion debates rely almost entirely on your opinion of what a fetus is, and how it's defined.

It's as logical as trying to convince a Christian there's no Heaven. It's a firmly ingrained belief that guarantees in a systematic one-two punch from each side, every time. We can probably go at it for years - I think it has, actually - and we'll get nowhere but repeating the same material.
    Debates may not always come to a definitive conclusion-- but that's the purpose of it, for the pursuit of truth. Is not truth the ultimate goal? And from that, is not truth unchanging and forever solid in its nature? In other words, if one tells the truth, surely that *truth* is one that should not change-- like if a mom asks who broke the vase, one wouldn't say that he did, or she did, or the dog did.

Streaming from that, I'd like to point out that all debates hinge on the definitions at hand; in this case, abortion. This issue is raised time and time again because it is very pervasive in society today, while being surrounded by people who do NOT think it should be in the culture at all. People, who, like Christians, firmly believe in their TRUTH, their UNWAVERING TRUTH, that abortion must not be in society.

The fact that human life, fetus, etc., can be defined by scientific terms seems quite unjust-- because these definitions are vital (the source of life) to, well, life. Mankind has reigned on this earth quite dominantly, and should think himself above lower life forms (this is not meant to spark any sort of insult towards ANYONE's beliefs, i am merely stating a generality), and in the recent centuries, there is a sort of humanitarian influx, a love for humanity, a desire to search for the highest happiness of mankind.

Is redefining [in order to be justified in performing abortions] the beginning roots of man's existence (as a fetus) a smart thing to do? Furthermore, is performing an abortion on said roots of man's existence a humanitarian thing to do, regardless of the woman's choice?

Mankind cannot know what could have been, or what might be, when discerning whether or not a fetus should completely develop. My question is, SHOULD MAN TAKE THAT RISK? In cutting off one person's life merely because it is an inconvenience to someone else?

My argument may be a little flimsy. I am new at this. I am learning.
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

What about population management? Earth is rapidly heading towards overpopulation and limiting births isn't going to cut it.
    Those who do not respond to reason can not be conquered by it.

PiLeAmGa

Smile Re: Abortion should be illegal.

Abortion shouldn't be legal.

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Folks, "FD Discussion" threads are to be used to discuss a debate which is currently occuring, not to debate the issue in another place. If you want to actually debate abortion, or anything else, please start or find a thread on that topic in the debate forums. There are MANY abortion topics to choose from already.

Thanks.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

Post Thanks / Like

Abortion is not a woman's choice,it is a murder of the 1st degree.Yes,abortion must be banned,except in case of saving mother's life.
    Trust and Obey Thy God!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Lemon View Post
    Abortion is not a woman's choice,it is a murder of the 1st degree.Yes,abortion must be banned,except in case of saving mother's life.
    You are free to believe that abortion should be banned.

However, the argument that it is "murder of the first degree" is a complete falsehood for several reasons.

Murder is legally defined as "the illegal killing of a human being with malice aforethought", with the first degree signifying a murder clearly premeditated and direct.

First off, abortion is not illegal, and so cannot be defined as murder in any way.

Second, the term "human being" is a subject of contention (and is not legally defined), as, while some argue that a fetus/zygote becomes a "human being" at conception, others argue that "human being" is only applicable after birth.

Thus, abortion cannot be (and is not) murder of the first degree at this point in time. However, if abortion were to be illegalized and the definition of "human being" were extended to include unborn fetuses and zygotes, then abortion could be first-degree murder (seeing as there is clearly malice aforethought due to the obvious intent of the procedure to destroy the fetus/zygote).
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."-Plato

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by superiorarsena View Post
    What about population management? Earth is rapidly heading towards overpopulation and limiting births isn't going to cut it.
    That's eugenics! That's the whole reason Planned Parenthood came into being.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Lemon View Post
    Actually it's not because you can't go to prison for it, but it should be.

CapitalBlue

By reading the main points of this discussion I have found the ideas that we have developed and tried to sustain. :

PRO ABORTION:
    -people may not have the finance, will, time, and/or any other ability to sustain a child.
    -The child will burden the mother so, that they will end up both unsatisfied with life and overall better happiness can come from the absence of a child.
    -The birth may not have been the women's choice (rape, malfunctioning condom or pill)

ANTI ABORTION:
    -the child is a human life that deserves to live.
    -One should take responsibility for the risk they take.
    -it is possible for the family to be happy in the long run.

And one argument I believe to be subtly implied is that a fetus is not yet human. First lets come to a common conclusion on this aspect if you agree to.
    I will first argue that like a seed is to a tree, the fetus is to a human life. It doesn't matter if you destroy the seed or burn a tree, you are still disturbing the process of life for you are not allowing it to continue.

Do you agree to initially focus on this?
    If so do agree with my statement? (why/ why not)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchard View Post
    I'm not a regular here and so am not sure exactly what this discussion thingy involves, am I expected to respond to what you've posted here or what?

I will say about the 'harmful to society' bit that that was just my thesis, I elaborate farther down regarding the elimination of male accountability. I originally had another argument but I thought the debate would be shorter and clearer without it. Thanks for your wellwishing.
    About abortion being bad for our society, I'll respond by asking another question. How is killing good for our society? I mean, if it's not bad for our society, then it must be good for our society, right? How then?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramfel View Post
    That's eugenics! That's the whole reason Planned Parenthood came into being.
    Eugenics is when you try to control who has children by dictate. Planed Parenthood allows people to choose if they wish to be parents or not and no one is coerced into going there or using their services. Planned Parenthood is about exactly what its name implies, planning when to have or not have children. They advice about a number of ways you can prevent or encourage pregnancy.

They will help you have babies and they will help you not have babies. Not many folks really understand this because they don't bother to read.

You can go to their site and read about their parental care services and guidance if you'd like to learn.
    http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...-care-4255.htm

What they don't do is tell people what they should or shouldn't do in terms of having children. What they do is give you to the tools to make those decisions for yourself.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ramfel View Post
    About abortion being bad for our society, I'll respond by asking another question. How is killing good for our society? I mean, if it's not bad for our society, then it must be good for our society, right? How then?
    By allowing families to control how many kids they have and if they have kids. Children who are unwanted or who's parents are unable or unwilling to take good care of them will have kids that are far more likely to be a burden on the overall society. They are poorly trained and often end up in lives of crime or dependency.

Potential parents who can choose not to have a child are better able to pursue education or work to establish themselves and are far less dependent on society for their own care and the care of their children.

And of course there are cases (though not really in the US) where the population outstrips the capacity to support it. In those cases I think abortion is better than starvation. But admittedly this is a rare thing except in a few countries.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4