Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RIP Michael Jackson 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by SharmaK View Post
    Right. He was smart enough to pay them off.

Sure. They can pay someone to “lose” the evidence or it could be pending review. You do realize that the stack of unsolved or unanalyzed rape samples is pretty huge, right?
    Are you implying that rich peole who are charged and convicted in a court of law for a sexual crime because of DNA evidence can pay off a judge or jurry to change their verdict?
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Are you implying that rich peole who are charged and convicted in a court of law for a sexual crime because of DNA evidence can pay off a judge or jurry to change their verdict?
    No, I have literally shown you a couple of cases where the rich get away with light sentences! Please re-read my last posts on the matter.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

No, I have literally shown you a couple of cases where the rich get away with light sentences! Please re-read my last posts on the matter.
    Yes, I did read the article, thanks. However, the main point it makes is not that DNA isn’t effective in finding people who commit sexual crimes, but that many local law enforcement agencies don’t have their act together in this area at least, to test the many many DNA kits they have collected and thus don’t match them up with a national database. That’s an administrative/coordination problem that sounds fixable.

Interestingly. part of the problem and lack of motivation to fix the issue is “Law enforcement officials said the most common reason kits are not tested is there is not a prosecutable case, usually due to a lack of cooperation from victims.”

So going back to your comment: I’m saying if you are, you’re likely to get away with it even when you’re found guilty” I can understand how the rich will stay out of court over sexual crimes. But if their case has DNA evidence linking them to the crime and they can’t stay out of court because the victim won’t settle for whatever reason and they have to go before a jury and judge, I think it is unlikely that the majority of very rich sex offenders who commit sex crimes and reach a jury and judge will be able to buy out a jury and judge.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

So going back to your comment: I’m saying if you are, you’re likely to get away with it even when you’re found guilty” I can understand how the rich will stay out of court over sexual crimes. But if their case has DNA evidence linking them to the crime and they can’t stay out of court because the victim won’t settle for whatever reason and they have to go before a jury and judge, I think it is unlikely that the majority of very rich sex offenders who commit sex crimes and reach a jury and judge will be able to buy out a jury and judge.
    Did you not read about the affluenza kid and the article I posted about a judge letting a rich guy off with a light sentence?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Did you not read about the affluenza kid and the article I posted about a judge letting a rich guy off with a light sentence?
    Yes, I read them. I can also post links to cases where millionaires and billionaires have served jail time for their crimes, but I don’t want to get into a link war.

With regards to sexual crimes with DNA evidence, especially violent ones, I agree that the rich and powerful have an advantage of staying out of court. However, I do believe the times --they are a changing with regards to these types of crimes by the rich and powerful. If Bill Cosby can go to jail for his sexual crimes, perhaps others with power and money for similar crimes will follow.

One thing that is evidently clear now with the new norms of social media and 24/7 news (though it may not all be factual news) as far as allegations of sexual misconduct against the rich and powerful -- a person's life and career can be almost destroyed and turned upside down without even going through a trial or jail. And money and power doesn't seem to matter in such cases. This is an interesting phenomena.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I read them. I can also post links to cases where millionaires and billionaires have served jail time for their crimes, but I don’t want to get into a link war.

With regards to sexual crimes with DNA evidence, especially violent ones, I agree that the rich and powerful have an advantage of staying out of court. However, I do believe the times --they are a changing with regards to these types of crimes by the rich and powerful. If Bill Cosby can go to jail for his sexual crimes, perhaps others with power and money for similar crimes will follow.

One thing that is evidently clear now with the new norms of social media and 24/7 news (though it may not all be factual news) as far as allegations of sexual misconduct against the rich and powerful -- a person's life and career can be almost destroyed and turned upside down without even going through a trial or jail. And money and power doesn't seem to matter in such cases. This is an interesting phenomena.
    Is Bill Cosby really powerful though? That said, you’re right and if MJ were alive, he would likely be destroyed too.

The #metooo movement is powerful right now, as women’s role in society increases so maybe the court of public opinion will prevent injustices in the actual courts.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

That said, you’re right and if MJ were alive, he would likely be destroyed too.
    Well, his legacy (music) is taking a hit:

Michael Jackson songs banned from radio stations around the world
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/micha...-world-2457781

A number of radio stations across the world have dropped Michael Jackson songs from their playlists.

The news comes in the wake of the US broadcast of Leaving Neverland, in which revived sexual abuse allegations are made against the late singer.
    There are some things money can't buy.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Well, his legacy (music) is taking a hit:

There are some things money can't buy.
    I think that's scant comfort for his victims. And let's not forget the other rapes from all the different religious leaders - seems to me their organisations have gotten away with things too, even as the individuals are being tried.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's scant comfort for his victims.
    I agree, but my personal philosophy with this kind of thing especially when someone has a big reach and influences a large sector of people, is that it's not so much about pay back, but instead: what did we learn from this? How can a soceity prevent or at least manage this type of behavior? It's not like MJ worked and lived in a vacumn. He had a team of people around him.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, but my personal philosophy with this kind of thing especially when someone has a big reach and influences a large sector of people, is that it's not so much about pay back, but instead: what did we learn from this? How can a soceity prevent or at least manage this type of behavior? It's not like MJ worked and lived in a vacumn. He had a team of people around him.
    I’m pretty sure all this kind of stuff still happens and is still going on. Maybe now it’ll be harder to get away with this kind of stuff. Time will tell.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11