Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

RIP Michael Jackson 1958-2009

EDIT:

R.I.P Michael Jackson, a TRUE legend.

A Musical genius.

The world has lost someone special today.
    Last edited by Swindall; June 25th, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
    .::The Swindall::.

"...In the beginning, man created god"

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Michael Jackson...

Quote Originally Posted by Swindall View Post
    So I just got a phone call from my sister, who was crying uncontrolably and I made out "Michael Jackson is dead"... among the tears.

Is this true?!?!

It is truely a sad, sad day if it is.

Unconfirmed reports coming through... Nothing official yet.

I'm hoping its some cruel hoax.

Some cruel lie... But I hope he's alright, and survived a cardiac arrest.
    Let's hope he survives and spends the rest of his life in a vegetative state.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Michael Jackson...

Too late -- he's history.
    “When men hire themselves out to shoot other men to order, asking nothing about the justice of their cause, I don’t care if they are shot themselves."

- Herbert Spencer

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RIP Michael Jackson 1958-2009

RIP.... I am crying as well...
    Thanks MJ for the Music and the moves!

IBBEY....PISS OFF!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It's incredibly sad. Think of all the music that has been made and how what Jackson did with his career directly contributed to it. . . His poor children.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I loved Micheal Jackson when I was a kid, (and he probably would've loved me, too.) Sorry, guys. I know it's not a good time for that, but I had to.

But seriously, I had the red leather coat from the "Beat It" video (still a great song, BTW) and spent hours trying to moonwalk.

He was just a really sweet guy, and whatever warped views he had on morality and reality can easily be blamed on the harrassment he got from the paparazzi and insane fans at such an early age.

The world is truly losing a musical legend. What a sad day!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It's a sad day. We've lost a genius and a great man in the world of music.

My heart goes out to his family and fans.

And my heart goes out (as always) to the families of the approx 18,000 children dying of hunger and malnutrition worldwide every day.
    Last edited by Allocutus; June 25th, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
    "I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world" - Richard Dawkins

"If you could rationalize with Religious people there would be no more Religious people" -Gregory House

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Really people??? The news coverage is sickening me. The guy is a child molester. I don't care if he got convicted or not. Everyone is saying how sad they were. Just a year ago, people were glad he left the country. Thanks to a star struck jury (how surprising in Los Angeles) the dude walked free. He's dead. Not a day too soon. Everyone is rushing to say something nice about this guy. He made music. He didn't cure cancer. He was great dancer, songwriter, musician, and entertainer. That excuses his behavior, how? WTF???? Get a grip people. Here is what I am thinking. There are a group of teens and young adults sitting in front of their televisions right now watching the man who raped them risen to near saint-hood. Round of applause people. I am imagining the looks of terror on these young people as they surf channel to channel to see the same face over and over again. Haunting them. Laughing at them from the grave as luminaries and news anchors sing his praises. He will rest in peace tonight, no doubt. These young people will assuredly have nightmares. But to hell with them, right? They probably just made it all up. We can't blame him, right. He was a lost soul who had missed out on his own childhood, right. Well, **** him and **** you all too. That's my opinion. And if you disagree with me, then you sirs and ma'ams are worse than Hitler.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I loved his music and appreciated him as an artist. I just don't think he was some kind of god. So yes, his death is tragic, but not more tragic than any other human being's death.

The way some people freak out about him being dead is really going over board.

He was just a human being like the rest of us.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    I loved his music and appreciated him as an artist. I just don't think he was some kind of god. So yes, his death is tragic, but not more tragic than any other human being's death.

The way some people freak out about him being dead is really going over board.

He was just a human being like the rest of us.
    Oh, but don't your realize?? The lives of either good looking or famous people ARE more important than the lives of normal people.

Wrote and sang some great songs a long time ago. Also a creepy strange guy. Ask yourself, would you let your child sleep in the same bed with him?
    If yes, go ahead and mourn. If no? Well...

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Really people??? The news coverage is sickening me. The guy is a child molester. I don't care if he got convicted or not. Everyone is saying how sad they were. Just a year ago, people were glad he left the country. Thanks to a star struck jury (how surprising in Los Angeles) the dude walked free. He's dead. Not a day too soon. Everyone is rushing to say something nice about this guy. He made music. He didn't cure cancer. He was great dancer, songwriter, musician, and entertainer. That excuses his behavior, how? WTF????
    I'm snipping the rest of this cause honestly I don't think it's worth repeating.

Aside from Czahar who simply said he was a victim of circumstance, without going into detail... I haven't seen a single person in this thread suggest that he was not guilty of a child molesting. I haven't seen one call him a great humanitarian. I haven't seen anyone defend him or the actions he was accused of. EVERY SINGLE POST has said, "What a great musician." So get off your silly little box.

Lastly, if you want to talk about Hitler... Hitler was able to convince the german people to look the other way while he authorized the slavery, torture, and eventual murder of how many millions of jews..... do you know how he did it? He dehumanized them. They were the enemy, they were lower than dogs, they did not deserve to live, it was because of them the german people suffered so greatly, the very reason they were struggling to feed their own children. If anyone is behaving like Hitler in this thread, Ibby, it's you.

As for my own feelings... Aspo's got it. The man was a human being with human flaws, and whatever else, his death was just as tragic as anyone else's, but certainly no more so. We can only hope that he did more good than harm in this world.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd
    ... There are a group of teens and young adults sitting in front of their televisions right now watching the man who raped them risen to near saint-hood. Round of applause people. I am imagining the looks of terror on these young people as they surf channel to channel to see the same face over and over again. Haunting them. Laughing at them from the grave as luminaries and news anchors sing his praises. He will rest in peace tonight, no doubt. These young people will assuredly have nightmares...
    Your apparent certainty of these facts is equal in hollowness to those who try and not see that you may be right. I would be willing to hear out those horrified young people you speak off, but I am not convinced by your own disgust transferred on to them, and that you try and pass as their own.

To me, Michael Jackson is something of the past, that does not resonate anymore. He provided thrills in the 80's, and for this, I am grateful, but nothing more.
    A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
    - Wayne Gretzky

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Really people??? The news coverage is sickening me. The guy is a child molester. I don't care if he got convicted or not. Everyone is saying how sad they were. Just a year ago, people were glad he left the country. Thanks to a star struck jury (how surprising in Los Angeles) the dude walked free. He's dead. Not a day too soon. Everyone is rushing to say something nice about this guy. He made music. He didn't cure cancer. He was great dancer, songwriter, musician, and entertainer. That excuses his behavior, how? WTF???? Get a grip people. Here is what I am thinking. There are a group of teens and young adults sitting in front of their televisions right now watching the man who raped them risen to near saint-hood. Round of applause people. I am imagining the looks of terror on these young people as they surf channel to channel to see the same face over and over again. Haunting them. Laughing at them from the grave as luminaries and news anchors sing his praises. He will rest in peace tonight, no doubt. These young people will assuredly have nightmares. But to hell with them, right? They probably just made it all up. We can't blame him, right. He was a lost soul who had missed out on his own childhood, right. Well, **** him and **** you all too. That's my opinion. And if you disagree with me, then you sirs and ma'ams are worse than Hitler.
    Not guilty by stardom or guilty by suspicion. Both are equally inappropriate, IMO.
    "I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world" - Richard Dawkins

"If you could rationalize with Religious people there would be no more Religious people" -Gregory House

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ladyphoenix View Post
    I'm snipping the rest of this cause honestly I don't think it's worth repeating.

Aside from Czahar who simply said he was a victim of circumstance, without going into detail...
    Well, just to make everything clear, I wasn't planning on getting into much of a debate here, hence not going into much detail.

As for my own feelings... Aspo's got it. The man was a human being with human flaws, and whatever else, his death was just as tragic as anyone else's, but certainly no more so. We can only hope that he did more good than harm in this world.
    I just don't see how you can say that. Naturally human beings are going to be more affected (i.e., find it more tragic) when someone who has impacted their life dies. When a human being touches the lives of millions of people ( . . . waits for a Micheal Jackson pedophile joke . . .) it's obviously going to to be a bigger tragedy to the world than the life of someone who hasn't. The press which his death is recieving is completely understandable, no matter how annoying it is.

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by czahar View Post
    Well, just to make everything clear, I wasn't planning on getting into much of a debate here, hence not going into much detail.

I just don't see how you can say that. Naturally human beings are going to be more affected (i.e., find it more tragic) when someone who has impacted their life dies. When a human being touches the lives of millions of people ( . . . waits for a Micheal Jackson pedophile joke . . .) it's obviously going to to be a bigger tragedy to the world than the life of someone who hasn't. The press which his death is recieving is completely understandable, no matter how annoying it is.
    Many people have touched my life. Many of them have died. All of those deaths are tragic. But I don't delude myself into thinking that my mourning or their deaths are any more significant than anyone else's. That MJ was "special" to millions upon millions of people doesn't make his death any more or less signifiant than Bill Griner, the old man at my church (I refer of course to the church I grew up in) who always had a smile on his face and love for everyone he ever knew.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ladyphoenix View Post
    That MJ was "special" to millions upon millions of people doesn't make his death any more or less signifiant than Bill Griner, the old man at my church (I refer of course to the church I grew up in) who always had a smile on his face and love for everyone he ever knew.
    How are we defining "significant" here?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps we should start the significant death thread?

I would start it but i didn't bring it up.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am worse than Hitler....

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

What you need to know about the accusers The family have a history of extortion. In 1998 gavin and Star were caught shoplifting some clothes. Caught red handed the mother insisited the boys were planning to model the clothes for the store, even though there was no contract or evidence to support this.

Outside the store Janet Arvizo the boys mother became involved in a scuffle with 3 of the stores security officers. Rather than spend the money on prosecuting the store dropped the charges.

Soon after Janet filed a lawsuit against the department store for the equivilent of £1.6 million. She claimed she and the boys had been viciously beaten by the 3 store detectives one of whom was a woman.

During the litigation a psychiatrist was hired and found Janet to be "schizophrenic" an delusional.

2 years later Janet added a new sensational charge claiming the 2 male security guards had "sexually fondled her breasts and pelvic area for up to 7 minutes.

In subsequent depositions Janet, Gavin and Star also claimed they suffered broken bones in addition to there mothers sexual assualt. Although they were never treated at a hospital.

Ulimately rather than face the damaging publicity from a lawsuit the store reached a settlement for the equivilent of £73,000 days before the scheduled trial in 2001.

Mother of accuser seeks legal advice

Janet approached Larry Feldman, the attorney who represented Jordie Chandler (first accuser) in 1993.[8] This made some believe she was intent on getting money because she went to an attorney before the police – it was also the same attorney who helped get an out-of-court settlement for Jordie Chandler for a reported $20 million. Larry Feldman then sent the family to psychologist Dr. Katz, which was also the same psychologist that assisted the first accusers family to uncover whether there might have been sexual abuse.[8] The accuser's brother told him that he had witnessed Jackson touching his brother, after which Katz reported this to the authorities, as is compulsory for someone of her profession in such a case, being a "mandatory reporter of child abuse" although she later stated that in her opinion Jackson was not a pedophile but a regressed 10 year old.[8]
    Larry Feldman and Dr. Katz were later focused on by the defense, stating that the mother (Janet) went to the same people that triggered the first investigation on Michael Jackson back in 1993. Obviously some type of research of the Chandler case must have occurred.

J. C. Penney: alleged assault, litigation and psychiatric analysis

In August 1998 the Arvizo family were detained on a shoplifting charge at a J. C. Penney department store in West Covina, California. According to J. C. Penney, Gavin and Star Arvizo were sent out of the store by their father with an armload of stolen clothes, the family was detained and Janet started a "scuffle" with security officers. The shoplifting charge was dropped, but Janet filed a lawsuit for $3 million, saying that when she was detained she was "viciously beaten" by three security officers, one of whom was female.[8] The psychiatrist hired by J. C. Penney to evaluate Janet Arvizo found her to have rehearsed her children into supporting her story and to be both "delusional" and "depressed," although Janet's own doctor found her to be only the latter.[8] More than two years after the original alleged incident Janet added a further charge that one of the male officers had "sexually fondled" her breasts and pelvis area for "up to seven minutes".[8] Ultimately the department store settled out of court with the family for $137,000.[8]

Gavin Arvizo

Gavin Arvizo, the accuser, was born in December 1989. He was 13 years old in February and March 2003 when the alleged crimes were said to have been committed. In 2000, the accuser was diagnosed with cancer and had his spleen and a kidney removed. Jackson paid Gavin Arvizo's medical expenses and accommodated transport for his chemotherapy treatment.[8] Soon thereafter, Jamie Masada [11], the owner of a comedy club called Laugh Factory, fulfilled his wish to meet Jackson, and the boy often visited Neverland, also when Jackson was not home. In 2001, there were no visits but he and Jackson had many telephone conversations. In 2002 Living With Michael Jackson was filmed, which was aired in 2003. Until February 2005, the accuser was officially anonymized as "John Doe" by the court and the media, although his full name was already available all over the Internet.

The father of Gavin Arvizo

His father, David Arvizo, visited Neverland several times in 2000, sometimes with the whole family, other times with just the children. According to witnesses the father has been persistent in begging celebrities for money for the family, and after receiving money, persistently asking for more.
    After 2000, the accuser's parents were divorced, and his mother had custody over him and his older sister and younger brother. In 2002 David Arvizo pleaded no contest to spousal abuse and in 2003 pleaded no contest to child cruelty.[8] After having completed classes in parenting and anger management the father applied for having a three-year restraining order against him temporarily lifted, to allow him to see his three children.[8] He claimed he wanted to see for himself how his son's health was, and hoped to find out whether the boy and Jackson had sexual contact. He blamed his ex-wife for allowing the boy to sleep in the same room with Jackson, and also claimed that she has been in a mental hospital.
    As of late 2004 David insists "my children are routinely rehearsed by their mother Janet to do or say whatever she wishes."[8]

The mother of Gavin Arvizo

When the Arvizo Family and Jackson were on good terms she encouraged all the children to call Jackson "Daddy," even though he had three children of his own.[8] The accuser's mother, Janet Arvizo, now known as Janet Jackson after marrying Jay Jackson, has been identified as the most problematic of the prosecution witnesses. Her behavior of snapping her fingers and staring at the jurors was criticized by jurors after the trial.[12] She was often unresponsive to questioning, even by the prosecution. She seemed to argue defensively over seemingly small issues, such as whether she had a body wax or only a leg wax. She even accused the defense of altering a receipt for the body wax. Questions were often answered with speeches or catch-phrases, rather than answers. She made repeated use of a few catch phrases, such as "It's burned inside my memory", "Money doesn't buy happiness",[13] and testified to the sheriff that Jackson wanted to kidnap her and the family with a "hot air balloon".[14] There were often instances when the court erupted in laughter over her answers. Take into consideration for the size of Jackson's estate and this is evident as to why so many people were used in the raid.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_v._Jackson

The thing is Ibbey...If one credible person had ever come forth against MJ, I could understand your rant...This accusers were people with a history of this type of behavior. Hundreds of children were interviewed, and not one had anything bad to say about MJ...

But, Believe what you want...Hope no one makes such charges against you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Some people just don't understand the significance of his death. This is someone who changed music...

You see Usher, Chris Brown and all the other "today" icons. They all strive to emulate Michael Jackson to this day!

I don't neg rep people (especially when they are actually good debators) but Ibelsd, that was extremely ignorant. Anyway - there was no point in me replying to it, because you basically got your arse handed to you by about 3 other people. ... On a side note, **** you Ibelsd.

I am also worse than Hitler, Tink.

Anyone else find it hard to listen to his music, that is being constantly played today. It saddens me too much.
    .::The Swindall::.

"...In the beginning, man created god"

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast