Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Topsy-Turvy

Post Thanks / Like

Topsy-Turvy

I'm back with yet another experiment and, this time around, things might get a little crazy.

I've always believed that arguing on behalf of something you're passionate about is fairly easy. If you know the topic, or if its something you're really interested in, you don't usually have to do as much research before posting about it, and you probably have a whole list of counter arguments pre-written in your head. The real difficulty, however, lies in trying to debate for the opposite side.

My challenge, for whoever's interested, is to walk in someone else's shoes for a change. I'll post a controversial topic, like abortion or the death penalty, and you have to fight for the side you disagree with. You'll have a general idea of what your "opposition" will be presenting as evidence, so go out and read up on a good counter argument.

To respect the varied beliefs members have here at ODN, I will try to choose a topic without religious overtones. Please refrain from using religion in your arguments, as it won't be fair to others. The point is not to force Atheists to research Christianity or vise versa. The point is to challenge yourself and benefit from the experience.

Your first post should include:
    • What side you would normally take and what side you will be taking in bold.
    • Your starting position, based on what you've seen others argue with in the past, or on what you know of the subject.

NOTE: Don't worry about having a completely accurate position in your first post. This whole thread is meant to be a learning experience, and your argument will improve as the debate continues. The starting positions are simply meant to give everyone a basic platform to work from.

An example of what your first post should look like:

Normally, I would choose pro-choice when debating abortion. I will now be arguing on behalf of pro-life.

Abortion should be considered murder and made illegal because life starts at the moment of conception. Each unborn baby has a distinct, unchanging and unrepeatable genetic code, unique in all of history, from the moment of conception till death.

Good luck to everyone who participates!
    Also, let me know if you feel the topic should be changed. I will be open to any suggestions except religious or semi-religious topics.

The Topic: War On Drugs - Should Drug Use Be Legalized? Should Drug Laws Be Relaxed?
    C'est la vie. Such is life.
    Such is death. C'est la mort.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topsy-Turvy

Actually, Blaithine, what you are proposing is called a "role reversal" debate, and we used to have a forum dedicated to such debates. However, it was not popular at all since few people enjoy arguing a side they don't believe in. Nonetheless, you can still start role reversal debates in this very forum by utilising thread prefixes. I have taken the liberty of adding the prefix for this thread.
    Trendem

Post Thanks / Like

Works for me. I find it interesting, personally, but I'm just a bit strange.

Thanks for fixing it Trendem!
    C'est la vie. Such is life.
    Such is death. C'est la mort.

Coffee

Normally, I would support capital punishment. I will be arguing against it now.
    The death penalty should not be allowed because possibility of an innocent man being sent to his fiery grave of doom because he didn't have enough money to hire a decent lawyer to defend his right to live.

I had a brain block right after I typed "because" xP