Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Global warming.

Post Thanks / Like

Global warming.

I feel that the basic driving force behind global warming is overpopulation, which is getting worse. In the United States at present the black, white, and Asian birth rate is OK, but there is one group that has too many children both in their home countries and in the US, and I doubt if this will change. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope with this reality?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg858 View Post
    I feel that the basic driving force behind global warming is overpopulation, which is getting worse.
    Why do you think population is the primary source of global warming?

Siting "Overpopulation" requires a concept of how many people there should be. So, how many people do you think is an appropriate amount for our planet and how would you propose controlling that?

In the United States at present the black, white, and Asian birth rate is OK, but there is one group that has too many children both in their home countries and in the US, and I doubt if this will change.
    I assume you mean Latinos. Do you have evidence their birth rate is especially high in the US?

And why do you specifically select the US as the population central point when it is not one of the more densely populated nations?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope with this reality?
    Forced sterilization camps?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Global warming.

I didn't mean stopping people from having kids, I meant such things as allowing only battery electric new cars to be sold, and not allowing power plants or factories to vent anything into the atmosphere, and instead recycling their exhaust gasses. Also all available sites for wind farms, solar votaic, and solar furnace electric power generating sites should be utalized. The Telsa electric sedan has a 300 mile range per charge, a 15 minute charging time, and is copetitively priced considering its accelleration, space and luxury. A more sparten, slower car, once production is ramped up, might not cost much more than a Prius.

I feel overpopulation is indeed a problem everywhere but Scandanavia, but I don't want to discuss this, as I have taken heat in the past for discussing the wrong things.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mean stopping people from having kids, I meant such things as allowing only battery electric new cars to be sold, and not allowing power plants or factories to vent anything into the atmosphere, and instead recycling their exhaust gasses. Also all available sites for wind farms, solar votaic, and solar furnace electric power generating sites should be utalized. The Telsa electric sedan has a 300 mile range per charge, a 15 minute charging time, and is copetitively priced considering its accelleration, space and luxury. A more sparten, slower car, once production is ramped up, might not cost much more than a Prius.

I feel overpopulation is indeed a problem everywhere but Scandanavia, but I don't want to discuss this, as I have taken heat in the past for discussing the wrong things.
    I don't think the benefits are worth the payoffs. As the world becomes more crowded, the incentive to produce a solution increases, just as the incentive to increase the efficiency of food production increased as population grew (and thus demand for food).

I don't think we should be taking big hits to our economy, which is in a rather precarious situation currently, for the sake of the extremely tiny reduction in the rate of global temperature growth.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

In the United States at present the black, white, and Asian birth rate is OK, but there is one group that has too many children both in their home countries and in the US, and I doubt if this will change. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope with this reality?
    If you are suggesting that Hispanics have more kids than any other race, then I'd have to question your source. I live in California and have been around Hispanics/Mexicans my whole life. I see plenty of Mexicans everyday without kids in tow. In fact, I personally know more white people with several kids than I do Mexicans.

So it sounds like you are blaming global warming on overpopulation, more specifically on us consumers who contribute to factory emissions. Okay, I'll buy that to a point. But I think we can find ways to revamp factories to cut emissions while still producing goods for the world. Overpopulation is not the problem (yet), but the stuff our vehicles and factories pump into the air is the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

the source... does not matter. genttle man what is important is the solution...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Global warming.

Wolf Myth, I stated exactly what you suggested. We are indeed getting very crowded, and I suggested the very thing you did, ways to make us pollute less, while perserving our lifestyle. You are right, I am not certain about the Hispanics, but if you type white verses latino population growth rate, in Mexico and in the US on your browser, perhaps you can find something out?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that the basic driving force behind global warming is overpopulation, which is getting worse. In the United States at present the black, white, and Asian birth rate is OK, but there is one group that has too many children both in their home countries and in the US, and I doubt if this will change. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope with this reality?
    Excuse me... you feel that ? It must be your imagination.

Global Warming, is linked to CO2 levels in the atmosphere and the human element as a CO2 emitter is more acute in countries (figure 1) where the population is not particularly dense (figure 2).

Figure 1 - CO2 per capita per country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ons_per_capita

Figure 2 - Population density.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density

Hence, since your feeling is wrong, and that overpopulation is not a factor for CO2 emissions, it's no use in using this as a premise to promote whatever agenda you have in mind where it relates to American demographics per ethnicity.
    Last edited by Vandaler; September 2nd, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
    A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
    - Wayne Gretzky

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

The smuggled premise here is that Global Warming exist. Which many people including many scientist either say does not...or that it cannot be concluded that it does.

Very very poor OP BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhoamI View Post
    The smuggled premise here is that Global Warming exist. Which many people including many scientist either say does not...or that it cannot be concluded that it does.

Very very poor OP BTW.
    Agreed; but to expand a touch: the smuggled premise is that Global Warming exists NOW and that it is anthropogenic.

There is no doubt that global warming has existed in the past - ice ages and their reversals - but there is considerable doubt today on two counts; that world climate is currently in a long term warming phase and b )if it is, whether this is caused by man's activities.

For an excellent book on the subject, one that takes a sceptical view of the current panic surrounding this topic, I recommend the following:

Heaven And Earth: Global Warming - The Missing Science
    Love is: the highest good of an other at my expense.

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    I don't think we should be taking big hits to our economy
    Going "green" and enacting real, viable, long-term, infinite sources of energy will not be a "big hit" by any means. Quite the contrary, it will be a huge leap forward towards a real, sustainable economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandaler View Post
    Global Warming, is linked to CO2 levels in the atmosphere and the human element as a CO2 emitter is more acute in countries (figure 1) where the population is not particularly dense (figure 2).
    I think you're missing the point of those graphics slightly. It highlights CO2 per capita per country...so population is factored into it already. So, if the USA wanted to reduce this metric (and I'm not saying whether it should or not), it could either drastically increase its population size (without increasing CO2 emissions, which I dare say would be very hard to do) or reduce it's CO2 emissions.

Your graphics also show countries like the UK, Japan, South Korea, Germany, Italy, the Benelux, and some of Gulf states as highly densely populated and having relatively high CO2 per capita emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by disinterested View Post
    For an excellent book on the subject, one that takes a sceptical view of the current panic surrounding this topic, I recommend the following:

Heaven And Earth: Global Warming - The Missing Science
    Ian Plimer is merely a "conservative" geologist that has a distinct interest in commercial mining interests that thinks that "extreme environmental changes are inevitable." Also, he has stated in the past that El Niņo was caused by earthquakes & volcanic activity at the mid-ocean ridges, which is simple bunk. He probably should stick to his professional discipline and not try & stray into meteorology.

"Mankind 'can't influence' climate"
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...64-421,00.html

"What is an El Niņo?"
    http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/elnino/el-nino-story.html

"GLOBAL warming is a load of hot air and the world is actually in an ice age, says the scientist who has made his reputation taking the contrary view."
    http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...018662,00.html

The guy is a loon of the first order IMHO.

shan

Thumbs down Re: Global warming.

Well i highly doubt that over-population alone can cause global warming mainly the cause of this is carbon emissions namely Cars,planes, lorries ect...
    But to cope with this is that have to adjust to this.

peterwiggin

Right now, the cause of all the environmental problems the human race is facing is overpopulation. Overpopulation causes our nations to destroy more and more of their natural resources and expand into previously untouched areas. Once we reach our carrying capacity at around 25 billion I'd say, this Earth will no longer be able to support us. Water is already in short supply, maybe not in developed countries but in others it is a rare commodity. Food and even living space will be the next to go. Even worse is that scientists are predicting us to hit our carrying capacity within the next forty to fifty years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhoamI View Post

Very very poor OP BTW.
    I recently read on the internet that the earth has been cooling for the last 11 years due to reduced solar output.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently read on the internet that the earth has been cooling for the last 11 years due to reduced solar output.
    My source fir this information is the internet. I just typed, "Is there global cooling?" on my browser.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

My source fir this information is the internet. I just typed, "Is there global cooling?" on my browser.
    Post the link, so others may analyse your "source"
    .::The Swindall::.

"...In the beginning, man created god"

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Since I have seen you provide this "source" twice, I'd like to encourage you towards the right direction. Claiming the internet is a source is much like claiming the library is your source. Would you ever use "library" in a footnote or bibliography? Of course not. As an example of why the "internet" isn't a source consider I anyone can say anything over the internet. If I created a webpage which stated All people with the nickname "Greg858" are gay, would it make it true? You'd want to know which website hosted that information and then you'd question how that particular website is a valid source of information. Or you'd just concede you're gay because the internet said so...
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

Global warming can be finished easily if humans will be more cautious about using each and every resource.plantation and re-forestation only cann't decrease its effect.proper management is needed with ways to encrease the effecieny of thing to be used.

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

Global warming is taking our money money in billions along with death of many people due to respiratory diseases.developed countries are accusing developing countries for not utilising funds properly but they are the real culprits increasing global warming.the recent oil spill is an example. The developed are waging wars which led to industrial and ecological devastation.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by himanshu10140 View Post
    Global warming is taking our money money in billions along with death of many people due to respiratory diseases.developed countries are accusing developing countries for not utilising funds properly but they are the real culprits increasing global warming.the recent oil spill is an example. The developed are waging wars which led to industrial and ecological devastation.
    Gee, where to begin?
    1. Global warming is taking our money. This is your claim. Support?
    2. Global warming is responsible for the deaths of many people. Is many a few dozen or a few million? Care to quantify? Then, support.
    3. The recent oil spill is a significant cause of global warming? Support?
    4. So, undeveloped countries don't wage wars?
    5. What is industrial devastation?

Dude. Step it up a notch.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast