Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone take Gore Vidal seriously?

Further, did anyone ever really take him seriously? From his most recent interview;

"His voice strengthens. “One thing I have hated all my life are LIARS [he says that with bristling anger] and I live in a nation of them. It was not always the case. I don’t demand honour, that can be lies too. I don’t say there was a golden age, but there was an age of general intelligence. We had a watchdog, the media.” The media is too supine? “Would that it was. They’re busy preparing us for an Iranian war.” He retains some optimism about Obama “because he doesn’t lie. We know the fool from Arizona [as he calls John McCain] is a liar. We never got the real story of how McCain crashed his plane [in 1967 near Hanoi, North Vietnam] and was held captive.”"
    Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but is he implying that Senator McCain intentionally was captured and tortured?

"Obama believes the Republican Party is a party when in fact it’s a mindset, like Hitler Youth, based on hatred — religious hatred, racial hatred. When you foreigners hear the word ‘conservative’ you think of kindly old men hunting foxes. They’re not, they’re fascists."
    This is mostly for those who have asked me in the past when has anyone called conservatives fascists?

"Last year he famously switched allegiance from Hillary Clinton to Barack Obama during the Democratic nomination process for president. Now, he reveals, he regrets his change of heart. How’s Obama doing? “Dreadfully. I was hopeful. He was the most intelligent person we’ve had in that position for a long time. But he’s inexperienced. He has a total inability to understand military matters."
    Thoughts?

"Another notable Obama mis-step has been on healthcare reform. “He f***ed it up. I don’t know how because the country wanted it. We’ll never see it happen.” As for his wider vision: “Maybe he doesn’t have one, not to imply he is a fraud. He loves quoting Lincoln and there’s a great Lincoln quote from a letter he wrote to one of his generals in the South after the Civil War. ‘I am President of the United States. I have full overall power and never forget it, because I will exercise it’. That’s what Obama needs — a bit of Lincoln’s chill.”
    Setting aside that no one can seem to find that particular Lincoln quote, what is he implying here?

"
    Vidal now believes, as he did originally, Clinton would be the better president. “Hillary knows more about the world and what to do with the generals. History has proven when the girls get involved, they’re good at it. Elizabeth I knew Raleigh would be a good man to give a ship to.”The Republicans will win the next election, Vidal believes; though for him there is little difference between the parties. “Remember the coup d’etat of 2000 when the Supreme Court fixed the selection, not election, of the stupidest man in the country, Mr Bush.”
    I'm not sure where to begin with this, not that I don't agree that Senator Clinton would have made a better President, however it would seem that Mr. Vidal has some lingering resentments and misunderstandings about the working of the US system.

He observes presidential office-holders balefully. “The only one I knew well was Kennedy, but he didn’t impress me as a good president. It’s like asking, ‘What do I think of my brother?’ It’s complicated. I’d known him all my life and I liked him to the end, but he wrecked his chances with the Bay of Pigs and Suez crises, and because everyone was so keen to elect Bobby once Jack had gone, lies started to be told about him — that he was the greatest and the King of Camelot.”

Today religious mania has infected the political bloodstream and America has become corrosively isolationist, he says. “Ask an American what they know about Sweden and they’d say ‘They live well but they’re all alcoholics’. In fact a Scandinavian system could have benefited us many times over.” Instead, America has “no intellectual class” and is “rotting away at a funereal pace. We’ll have a military dictatorship fairly soon, on the basis that nobody else can hold everything together. Obama would have been better off focusing on educating the American people. His problem is being over-educated. He doesn’t realise how dim-witted and ignorant his audience is. Benjamin Franklin said that the system would fail because of the corruption of the people and that happened under Bush.”
    Incidentally, I have found that the only people less informed about the world than Americans is ex-expatriate Americans.

Vidal says Trimble’s death didn’t affect him. “No, I was in danger of dying too. A dead man can’t grieve a dead man.” Has love been important to him? “Don’t make the error that schoolteacher idiots make by thinking that gay men’s relationships are like heterosexual ones. They’re not.” He “wouldn’t begin to comment” on how they are different.

Vidal became a supportive correspondent of Timothy McVeigh, who blew up the Alfred P. Murrah Building in Oklahoma City in 1995 killing 168 people. The huge loss of life, indeed McVeigh’s act of mass murder, goes unmentioned by Vidal. “He was a true patriot, a Constitution man,” Vidal claims.
    Wow.

Interesting article, to me what is most annoying is that the author continuously fawns over Mr. Vidal despite the fact that the article makes him appear to be borderline senile.
    http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6854221.ece
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone take Gore Vidal seriously?

The answer to your question is surely yes. But you, uh, knew that already... didn't you?
    “When men hire themselves out to shoot other men to order, asking nothing about the justice of their cause, I don’t care if they are shot themselves."

- Herbert Spencer

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Hes a whack job of high order.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

He seems to be a rather colorful character.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Hes a whack job of high order.
    lol wut
    “When men hire themselves out to shoot other men to order, asking nothing about the justice of their cause, I don’t care if they are shot themselves."

- Herbert Spencer

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Of course the question was meant a bit sarcastically, but it amazes me. To steal a phrase from Alec Guiness, who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Of course that begs the question -- is Gore Vidal a fool?

- Herbert Spencer

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Gore Vidal is a mixture of fool, genious, liar, soothsayer, brilliant historian, paranoid and buffoon.

The problem is you never know which one is talking.

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

He's a strange one.... of course, I disagree with his stance on conservatives, and I don't think he's looking far enough back when he talks about the problems we have with education.

But he's definitely got some curious views.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I think that he is the perfect example of Dis inhibition. He has been surrounded by sycophants and like minded thinkers and any person in that situation long enough will develop progressively radical views.